Shotgun hunting for deer

Magnum 3

Now i know i'm going to stir up a bee's nest when i mention the word " Buckshot" in the same breath as deer hunting and in some cases rightfully so , but here it goes anyway . This goes out to the daring few of us who pattern guns and try different things to improve the odds when hunting . It is definitely a costly ordeal buying different chokes and brands of shells trying to find the perfect combo for buckshot and slugs so i need your input . I have an 11 87 12 ga. that can shoot 3" shells . I have tested cheap and expensive brands of slugs in both 2.75" and 3" and have found that my gun will touch 2 cheap winchester's together at 50 yds., almost every time i target practice using my factory choke . That part solved ! Now as far as the buckshot deal goes , I have put 5 pellets of 00 buck in a deer at 60 yds . standing and the next time i shoot , I swear I'm shooting dirt . So , to prove it's not just me , back to the target shooting i go . Result : 1 shot @ 50 and not 1 pellet in a shoot and see target and maybe 2 on the fringe . Next shot 5 in the target and 3 close by . Now I've heard from people who cut shells open and find inconsistency in the loads . But what I'm really looking for is an aftermarket choke that people have used "safely" with both slugs and buckshot and have good success with both . I heard Kick's makes one , but when i was @ Basspro last week , they didn't have any in so i couldn't see if it could be used with both . Other than "DON'T USE BUCKSHOT' anybody tried something that works for them ?

I use the carlson dead coyote choke tube for buck shot works great for me .yes I hunt with buck shot .I carry two shot guns in the truck well hunting in are controlled hunt ,first is my 20g rifled barrels slug gun with a luppy 3to 9 by 40 vzr scope ,I use this well on watch waiting for doggers to push deer out across the open fields ,second is a rem 870 12g with buck shot for when I do the dogging pushing deer out of the swamp most shots are at 10 yards or less ,,works great for me Dutch

Slugs ! Or Sabots ! When I first started deer hunting we used buckshot with lousy results. Some oldtimers advised slugs only because usually when you hit them... you hit them good and not wound them. Have skinned deer that have had pellets buried just under the skin and sometimes the muscle too. I use a REM 11-87 sabot barrel with red/green dot scope, 2 3/4 Federal Barnes Expander shells and a short barreled 870 with rifled slugs if I'm dogging. I figure that if I have the chance to shoot at a deer I have the time to kill it properly or miss it completely. LoL ! I know you didn't want to hear "Don't use buckshot !" but I found what works for me.

well I got no problem keeping my freezer full and I can say I never lost a deer becoues of buckshot ,,,if thy are to far just leave them for the next guy down the line ,,,Dutch

I use the carlson dead coyote choke tube for buck shot works great for me .yes I hunt with buck shot .I carry two shot guns in the truck well hunting in are controlled hunt ,first is my 20g rifled barrels slug gun with a luppy 3to 9 by 40 vzr scope ,I use this well on watch waiting for doggers to push deer out across the open fields ,second is a rem 870 12g with buck shot for when I do the dogging pushing deer out of the swamp most shots are at 10 yards or less ,,works great for me Dutch
Just happen to have that choke . Not worth a crap for coyote loads . May as well try 00 buck.

Just happen to have that choke . Not worth a crap for coyote loads . May as well try 00 buck.
Actually ... I was really trying to get a line on an aftermarket choke that will handle both slugs and buckshot well , if there is such a thing . I'd assume it wouldn't be any tighter than modified as my carlsson mod. says not to use slugs. Just don't want to have to change up chokes all the time in case i forget to change when i get out there (don't need a bad hair day LOL) and an external is also more user friendly .

Last edited:
I would get a smooth bore 18 inch slug barrel with rifled sights ,works well with slugs and buck shot ,,you can over choke buck shot ,to tight of a choke with deform the shot making it fly wild with no pattern ,,I have the smooth bore slug barrel and it shoots the challenger rifled slugs very well and it also shoots double odd buck very good out to 30 yards ,,worth a try ,,,Dutch

Dutch . My barrel (I'm pretty sure ) is a 21" with rifle sights and takes screw in chokes where most of the guys use 26 and 28 inch barrels with modified chokes and just beads . Thing is I'm using I/C because the slugs work well with it . I think the point here is that I am getting inconsistency with buck shot . It's the same thing as when I was looking for a choke and /or #4 buck for coyotes . I bought that Carlsson because the rep . said he had the same gun and it worked great for him . I shot a lot of cheap and expensive loads thru that choke and got the best results using my factory I/C . I also found that just because it's more expensive , doesn't make it better ( ie. Hornady coyote buckshot that actually left pellets stuck in a piece of cardboard @ 50 yards ) . I couldn't get any more than 5 pellets in that shoot and see past 42 yards yet the choke is rated for up to 70 . I also tried an undertaker duck choke with no better results . Then bought a Carlsson mod because I lost my factory mod. , but they said not to use slugs . Pattern was better so i went to the I/C so i could use slugs and buckshot . I just thought at the time that it was more the choke . Coyote loads were Ok ! Now I'm thinking it's inconsistent loads of 00 and i don't reload so i went out today and bought some different buckshot . If this doesn't work could anyone suggest another choke that works with both the buckshot AND slugs . I don't carry 2 guns hunting as i am now reserved to blocking and at that , i decide what how much i'm shooting of what by how thick it is ahead of me when I get there .

truthfully if it was me and I was just blocking I would go with just slugs ,if it is think and you can get a load of buck thru then a slug will go thru as well ,Always slugs over buck shot every time .I only use buck if I am pushing a swamp and then I only carry a few buck shot loads ,if I can see them then a slug can kill them if thy are close enough for buck shot to work a slug will work better ,It is very hard to find one tool that will do two jobs perfect .that is why we all shot rifled barrels now thy are just plain better for slugs.D

Maybe in the bush leadcore but not at the range . That is unless you don't practice shooting at all and then you shouldn't be hunting either ! OCLP ; I've seen those shells to but i don't think i would use one . It sounds like a close range spray and pray .

Last edited:
Hornady fully rifled slugs through a rifled barrel and u are basically shooting a rifle. No wounded deer and no buddies shot in the bush. If you dono have a shot clear enough to take then you shouldn't be taking it in the first place! Not to start an argument just my opinion

we shot the hornady sabots slugs in a rifled barrel ,fully rifled slugs go in a smooth barrel ,,,you can shot them threw a rifled barrel but thy will fill your rifling up with lead very fast ,,

Yup I totally agree! They bung up your rifling. Definitely Need a good cleaning after shooting to keep your accuracy

that's what thy are for ,the rifling on the slug spins the slug thru the smooth barrel .sabot slugs use the rifling in the barrel to spin them .rule of thumb
smooth barrel use rifled slugs rifled barrel use sabot slugs ,,Dutch

you best read the box of slugs and do a little studying on this subject .I live in a shotgun zone and have been shooting deer with slugs for over 30 years ,,,Dutch

Ya you mite want to read your rifled barrel lol it states for fully rifled slugs only. Keep plugging away, it's your money that your waisting on shells and a screwed barrel. Man your not worth arguing with. I personally could care less what you say or do. I replied to a post someone else wrote not yourself. Your bullshit is ruining this forum. Why don't you find a job or a hobby other then a keyboard!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks