Safe ice on the bay

dickie

What is your prediction as to when we will have safe ice on the bay. Mine is Jan 20.

Dick Saarloos

I think it will probably be early Feb for some good ice Dickie, I hate to say it but we need solid -10 temps at night to get some good safe ice to fish on. I'm just hoping I can fish around here for a month or two without taking a trip up to lake simcoe! Save my gas $$ for some brown pops:D

Yah, me too. Simcoe is a lot of gas money. Hopefully the weather decides soon. Must be a tough time to be in the hut rental biz... too bad as these guys have to work hard for a small return.

Looking at the 14 day trend from the weather network I would say late January. If it doesn't freeze up this year I am considering putting pontoons on the ice hut.:)

Surprisingly there is no ice up in the Bancroft area yet.It is a late start for sure.

Fisher-Price

I was thinking Feb, but hoping sooner. Dec 12th they had 4" of ice on Baitshop Bay on the Ottawa river. But it was crusty and not safe.

Born To Fish, Forced To Work

I'm going to have to agree with bassaholic I would guess beginning of february (feb. 10th) if at all, I wouldnt get my hopes up tho. I would love to see some ice on the bay this year but i've already got a couple trips planned to lake simcoe. It does cost in gas but it's an amazing hardwater fishery.

Biddle

I fished Simcoe last year and it sucked. Willing to try it again, as it seems likely we will not see decent ice on the bay, or at least not for long. I may also try Lake St. Joe this year.

ive never fished lake simcoe but have heard some good about it I seen an ice fishing trip on travelzoo for 12 people for $69 on lake simcoe thought I would let you guys know that's like $6 per person then you wouldn't have to be so worried about the gas money, they will probably have ice before us, I would rather fish the bay since its closer but some people probably have the itch more than me

Sorry to say it, but the bay can't touch simcoe when we're talking numbers and bigger fish. It's definitely worth the drive, if you know where to go....

I say safe ice on the bay at the end of Jan.

Better to wait for lpb ice late jan early feb,I have seen ice stay till into april bout 8 yrs ago. Lake simcoe I recall (cooks bay) perch are fry size we joked that we shouldve filleted the shiners wouldve had more in the pan. I also watched 15 vehicles go through the ice at the end of gilford road,they parked on 7 inches of ice ,close together bout 6-7yr ago.

quote:
Originally posted by Johny2

Lake simcoe I recall (cooks bay) perch are fry size we joked that we shouldve filleted the shiners wouldve had more in the pan.

like i said, IF you know where to go. :D

cooks bay is known as the perch nursery of simcoe, hence the small fish you caught and what many people get there most the time too. drive 15-20 minutes farther to reach the real perchin grounds of simcoe where you'll often get bored of catching countless numbers of 10-11" fish while sight fishing in 20-25 ft of water with a chance for a laker or whitefish :D

I went for a drive down to LP today with a buddy to check on the ice and its looking like it's a good start to a late Jan early Feb hard water season! here's a couple pics I took from Old Cut, one looking out into the bay and the other looking into the cut:
IMG-20121227-00106_zpsd356f737.jpg

IMG-20121227-00108_zps8fd3f62a.jpg

Hey Bassaholic,how low would you say the water is at Old Cut?It's kind of hard to judge by your pics.

quote:
Originally posted by Mumph

Hey Bassaholic,how low would you say the water is at Old Cut?It's kind of hard to judge by your pics.

it looks to be about the same depth (if not lower) than the last time I was fishing in early oct, then it was about a foot and a half to two feet deep in front of those boat houses! Luckily I only have a 16ft aluminum with a 40hp Merc with power tilt so it wasn't a problem for me but all the big boats were really churnin' up the mud!! We definatley need lots of ice and snow this winter to bring the levels back up

Thanks for the feedback.I'm thinking I won't be renting a slip next year.If we don't get the snowfall this winter we need to get the water levels back up,it won't be worth the money.When I pulled out of Marina Shores in Oct. The channel was maybe 2' deep.I'm sure there will be water in the spring but how much after the months following June?

Bassaholic: Thankyou for taking the time to post the pictures by the ice hut area in particular. It's really appreciated since it's a bit of a drive from Stratford.
Looking forward to hopefully doing some ice fishing there this season. Please keeping posting pics as the ice gets better. Sincerely Huron.

Bassaholic or any else nearby with a camera. Can you take a few shots looking out from Grangers Ice Hut location at St. Williams. Much appreciated, thanks. Huron.

Bassaholic; Technically your photos are of what's called Dickinsons Creek. I know,I know because Old Cut Marina is there everyone calls it that but Old Cut Point is the next channel over to the north and the actual "Old Cut" was over there.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks