Replacing Treble Hooks

Princecraft Guy

Hey Fellas,

Just thinking about replacing some treble hooks with single hooks on some casting/trolling lures like Rapalas, Cotton Cordells, etc. I just hate the damage they do to the fish at times and would rather have a single hook if possible. Question is, does a single hook change the characteristics of the bait? Also, what size and shape would you recommend they be replaced with? I know a single hook may lower the percentage of hookups, but I'm ok with that. Thanks for your input.

I wouldn't put singles on a rapala, if you are into catch and release why not pinch the barbs off? Just an option, I don't really know if it changes the action of the bait but I think it's going to be the thing you will have to experiment with. Good luck

I run a lot of F18 Rapalas and I replace the middle and end treble hooks from #2 to #1. This year I will be changing the middle and end to double hooks. Trying to remove trebles out of some those Bluff Bar pike can be quite the challenge, especially when they are trashing and getting hooked up in the net as well.

Charlie Wray showed this way to add a single hook to a lure. He used a Mustad Live Bait Ringed Hook http://www.cabelas.com/product/Mustad-R-BLN-Hoodlum-Live-Bait-X-Hook-with-Ring/744458.uts?searchPath=/browse.cmd?categoryId=734095080&CQ_search=mustad+ringed+live+bati+hook&CQ_st=b to the back of the lure and attached it to a split ring. Rigged this way the hook will ride up making is fairly weed free. If the lure needs additional ballast to compensate for the removal of the treble on the bottom location a small split shot can be pinched onto the hook ring. With the large size of the ringed hook, hook ups on a strike are very good.

MAIL1DSCF0001.jpg

Attachments

• MAIL1DSCF0001.jpg
    MAIL1DSCF0001.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 15
@jeweller @Dmanwithnoname done the same thing a couple of years ago while piking by myself. The only difference was my left hand and on the top of the knuckle. It was a new lure and when I reached in the net the pike did a big trash, drove the hook in across the top of the knuckle and tangled other visible hooks into the net. After getting the pike untangled from the net and getting it off the lure, the decision was to save the hook and pull it backwards out...........Son of a :censored: !!!! Sure won't do that again:banghead:

I'm not sure what the appropriate single hook replacements would be for an F18 Rapala but I've been on charter boats with experienced guides who replaced 100% of treble hooks with doubles because they claimed the double hooks were far superior. I see Three Bouys is leaning that way. There is little doubt that using a landing net on pike caught on lures with three sets of treble hooks is inviting problems even when using live release rubber coated mesh nets. Not lifting the net out of the water works OK if you can access the hooks and the net is big enough. With smaller pike it is easiest just to grab them behind the head. If your grip is firm enough they typically concede.

Back