Refilling 1 Lb propane tank

Ice fisherman like a said I got mine off eBay. When I received it, it also came with a business card here is the web site for his business along with a phone number. Maybe you can just order straight from him. Good luck
Schnozzle.com. 781-291-2179

How do you weigh them to make sure you are not filling them over 80%? Anyone who has taken a handlers course knows how dangerous it would be to over fill a propane tank.

How do you weigh them to make sure you are not filling them over 80%? Anyone who has taken a handlers course knows how dangerous it would be to over fill a propane tank.

Put them on a scale after you disconnect them. Empty weight is 14 oz, full is 1 lb- 14 oz (which is the max safe fill)

When filling the 1 lb "disposable" tanks, I've been told to keep the 20lb tank upside down and the 1 lb tank upright.(this allows you to fill tank with liquid not vapour)
And while filling, lift the safety valve up on the 1lb tank until liquid propane leaks out, then let safety valve go & close 20lb tank valve off, then disconnect the two
Any valid input towards this?

I've been filling for a few years now and works good for me. You may not get the tank filed to the max but it saves big time if you fish lots. Just make sure your 20 Lb. is room temp and the small is cold. Some may only fill half but some will fill 3/4.
who cares, you may have to change a few more times. A friend gave me about 40 empty 1 Lb tanks from a trailer park that has a disposable area.
Fill by turning the big tank upside down, turn the tap on till I don't hear it filling any more the turn the tap off then upright, unscrew the small.

Refilling as per instructions, the 1lb'ers are never as full as you buy from retailers, but it's actually quite simple to get the right amount in 1lb'ers..

During refilling and once pressures equalize, close 20lb valve, then remove 1lb'er and stand upright, and for about 2-3 seconds depress air valve with tiny flat bladed screwdriver, which releases some air pressure then reinstall back onto upside down 20lb'er and repeat procedure...it'll accept more liquid... Just be Extremely careful NOT to overfill..

And yes, I think it's illegal for the adapter valves to be sold in this country.. Must buy from the US

Last edited:
I have been following this post and I had inherited this from my dad who would do anything to save a dollar.
I've used it a few times to refill the propane torch tank and it works quite well.

@icefisherman does yours look like this

Just got the adapter.
Can I top up 1 lb tank that is not completely empty?

Cheers,
Ice Fisherman

They actually fill easier if there's a bit left in them. Put the 1 lb bottle in the freezer for 20 minutes and then follow the instructions. A full cylinder should weigh 30 oz. Do not overfill and do not mess with the relief valve to 'burp' them, that's a major cause of leakers.

Thanks Greg.

Just refilled first two....took less than 30 sec. each.... until I stop hearing the gas going in....both of them weighted 2 Lbs after refill. Tested with soap water no leaks.
2 Lbs is a bit more than 30 Ozs. I wonder if it is because both were in the freezer for 3-4 hrs? Or because they were not completely empty?

Cheers,
Ice Fisherman

If G Mech's weights are correct, you're 2 oz over the maximum. Propane needs room to expand inside the tank which is why tanks are only filled to a certain point which allows for empty space inside the tank for this expansion. An overfilled tank doesn't allow enough room for the expansion which occurs when the propane is warmed, such as a heated storage area or inside your hut as it warms. The result is more pressure than the tank was designed to handle.

Best case, the relief valve opens and a bit of air and/or propane is pushed out and hopefully there is no ignition. Worst case, the safety valve malfunctions on the overfilled tank as it warms and the tank bursts as it can't take the pressure.

Might be a good idea to empty some propane in the backyard before the tanks have a chance to warm and build pressure....

Thanks Greg.

Just refilled first two....took less than 30 sec. each.... until I stop hearing the gas going in....both of them weighted 2 Lbs after refill. Tested with soap water no leaks.
2 Lbs is a bit more than 30 Ozs. I wonder if it is because both were in the freezer for 3-4 hrs? Or because they were not completely empty?

Cheers,
Ice Fisherman

The time it takes is all dependent on how cold they are and how much liquid was left in them. The colder they are and the more liquid inside the faster they fill. It is pretty hard to predict beyond an educated guess and bit of practice.

I'm not saying it's a good idea to overfill them but I have done a bit of testing and never had any problems with the cylinders overfilled by 2 oz (2lb total weight) before....anything more than that makes me very nervous. If they are completely empty it is pretty hard to overfill them. If they are in the freezer for a couple of hours they typically fill to 12 or 14 oz or so which is just under and I usually just leave them at that. I really, really don't think messing with the relief valve is a good idea to get them fuller, it's just asking for trouble.

If you do overfill them, cool down the big tank, let the small one warm up a bit, turn the 20lb tank upright, reconnect and the liquid will go back into the big tank. It's safer than trying to vent them.

Again, I am not suggesting that this is legal or smart, just sharing what I have learned.....

I have been following this post and I had inherited this from my dad who would do anything to save a dollar.
I've used it a few times to refill the propane torch tank and it works quite well.

@icefisherman does yours look like this

The refill adaptors are a solid brass adaptor nipple (Google 'Mac Coupler). The rubber hoses are intended for handling propane gas not for liquid and can get very brittle if the liquid passes through them as it is extremely cold. I personally would not use this for refilling....

as someone that has worked in the propane industry for several years and have a ton of training
you guys are playing with fire there are reasons 1lbers are sold to be disposed of only trained qualified persons should be filling canisters
not trying to piss off anyone but geeeez

as someone that has worked in the propane industry for several years and have a ton of training
you guys are playing with fire there are reasons 1lbers are sold to be disposed of only trained qualified persons should be filling canisters
not trying to piss off anyone but geeeez

Your absolutely right moosey but guys are gonna do it anyway right or wrong, legal or illegal....maybe sharing some expertise is better than not in this case. Just sayin'...

well guys as soon as you turn your 20lbr upside down you are flooding your pressure relief valve with liquid which could cause it to blow off in your face causing instant frost bite, if there is any source of ignition well all I can say is boom . I have seen what happens when a tank is laid down in a trunk of a car and the prv relieves, no more car.
if you are successful in transferring liquid into your 1lbr after cooling your canister down and over fill it then stick it in your vehicle the lp will expand rapidly cylinders can and have ripped open because prv,s cannot always handle that kind of rapid expansion then you have a missile in your car that is why Canada does not allow the sale of these transfer kits ,check out u tube for propane tank explosions most which happen in the states I know two people that had a prv blow in there face from an overfill, one still has the scars from severe frostbite and the other severe burns.

Last edited:
Never understood why the 1lbers couldn't be recycled and professionally refilled. It's unbelievable how many are left at the Provincial parks when we are camping.
And then there are the ones that are just thrown in the garbage.
I try not to use them, stick to the 20lbs. but always have a couple on hand just in case.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks