Refilling 1 Lb propane tank

icefisherman

Just bought new Buddy heater and remember people talking about ways to refill their one pound tanks instead of keeping buying new ones.

Can someone tell me where to find a good deal on the adapter needed and how well this process work?

Thanks,

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Bought from Cabela in US. It only refills the gas portion not the liquid
End result is they don't last as long. U would use 4 plus bottles in a day of fishing instead of 1 or 2. Check Costco they usually have good pricing

adapter would be found a most sporting shops across the boarder, since its not allowed hear.

You freeze the empty, attach to 20lb ,invert tank, crack 20lb open, fills in about a minute

When i refill my bottles , i can shake them and there is definitely liquid propane in there.

Yep from couple hours of reading it seems it is next to impossible to find them in Canada.
If someone knows a place or of someone selling used one let me know please.

Cheers,
Ice Fisherman

I just purchased one off of eBay. Total cost including shipping and exchange was $28. They work awesome and are easy to use.when I shake my bottle I can hear liquid as well. Check out eBay and type refill 1lb propane in the search section lots of adds will come up.

Hey buddy bought mine from the fishing store in Hamilton at the corner of HWY 20 and Barton street when i pick up my daughter from scholl on Friday I will see if they still have any
Craiger

Hey whisperer,
Propane boils at -42 Deg.C. Freezing the container helps to keep some of the propane in a liquid state.
Budz

instruction say chill small container for 15-20 minutes and have the full container at room temp for best results,

I put them in the freezer so there nice and frosty as theres not enough room in the fridge.

Guys, fishingworld does NOT carry the adapter anymore. You have to get them through E-Bay now like Hondarancher did. You do have to freeze the 1lb bottle and have the 20lb at room temp. prior to filling. The 20lb. tank must be upside down when filling and connect/disconnect. Only open and fill the 1lb tank for no more than 1 min. !!!!!! Don't forget to purge your 1lb tank also prior to refilling tank(place adapter on 1lb tank to empty cylinder completely) or tank will not refill properly. Tank will only refill up to 80% capacity not 100% like new tanks are.

Im with fish whisper on that one, I've tried it years ago and it is not worth the effort to refill one. you can buy a 4 lb. tank and the hose and use it for about 4 -6 times out before it needs to be refilled. now I just take a 20 lb. tank with me( on a quad ) and have it outside the hut and run the hose into the hut to save on space.

blastr

Propane here is $19 ($0.95 /lb) for a 20 lb tank while the 3 packs of 1 lb tanks go for $13.99 ($4.66 /lb).

If you typically use 2 tanks heating and cooking each day fishing it would cost $9.32 using store bought 1lb tanks vs $1.90 for tanks refilled at home or a difference of $7.42. Let's say you do this 20 times during the ice season. That's $74.20 saved by spending about two hours during the entire season to fill those tanks. Not only do you save a considerable amount of money, you'll save time and money going to the store to buy more tanks. Refilling them is better than recycling or sending them to the landfill.

By the time you factor in walking to the freezer two times, waiting a minute for the tank to fill and screwing the tank on/off, you're looking at about 3 minutes to save $7.42 each day...

Well this subject seem to come up every year so why not repeat one from days gone by....

These adaptors and the practice of refilling 1 lb cylinders is against the law in Ontario as it violates the Propane Storage and Handling Act as outlined in this TSSA bulletin:

https://www.tssa.org/corplibrary/ArticleFile.asp?Instance=136&ID=6D4CD6C35AD311E0B7F95D889551D742

That said, there are a lot of things that are illegal that people still do from time to time and I am no different. I have in fact refilled hundreds of 1 lb cylinders and with no sign of law enforcement showing up at my door. It is dangerous however and need to be done with due care and caution.

Here's my notes which are in addition to all the other safety measures already mentioned:

1) Don't overfill or the relief will vent when they warm up. The empty bottle weighs about 14 oz and you should only put 16 oz (1lb) of propane in them. If you fill them full with no head space, they will vent wherever you have them stored with possible catastrophic results. It is hard to predict how long it takes to fill a bottle; it depend on the temperature of the the tank and the bottle and semi-full bottles fill faster than empty ones (they do not need to be bled down as someone else suggested).

2) Don't get too greedy. Fill the 1 lb'rs no more than 5 times and toss them. I mark mine with a magic marker to keep track. I have had zero leakers after 5 fills but a few after that.

3) Install the bronze cylinder caps on the refilled bottles if you can find them; second line of defense against leakers.

4) Keep the big cylinder at room temperature and put the empty bottles in the freezer for an hour or so before refilling. This will allow liquid transfer without having to bleed the relief vavle on the small bottle (this eliminates some of the danger).

5) Burping them by pulling on the relief valve stem to get them extra full is a bad idea as the reliefs don't always re-seat properly and can leak. If you have an underfill, just put it back in the freezer for a few minutes and top it up again. If you have an overfill, let the small cylinder warm up and it can then be transferred back into the big one with the big one in the upright position (the transfer is all based on temperature....).

DISCLAIMER: this is only my experience and I am not claiming this is legal or sensible.....use caution and your own discretion if you really want to do this....

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks