Off Topic Reel Repair

hvyhaul

I've got two of my Okuma reels heading up to Orillia for repairs/rebuild.

Bought used, they worked, but not like the ones I bought new.

Hopefully this breathes new life into them and removes my fear of something big going wrong midst battle with a rainbow or salmon. 🌻

Told by two places that do repairs down here that's where Okuma reels should go.

Who am I to argue with them?

A daughter works in Orillia so shipping is reasonable. 😁🌻
Good to know if mine ever mess up.
What’s the name of the place?

Heres some advice, I also bought okuma, they are junk..the drags the linecounters, there way to heavy, your not saving any money buying trouble, read the reviews, I got one okuma size 30 with 12 color micro, ya it catches fish, its nothing great..

I am more then satisfied with the performance with my Shimano reels & Diawa reels, in the long run you enjoy a nice reel to fish with, and you don't have to waste money with repairs, I give both shimano and diawa 5 stars

buy them when there on sale..like in the new year..

Last edited:
Just to share
what I enjoy is how the level wind reels performance where gear ratios bumped to double what they use to be for cranking speeds getting them fish out of that strike zone and alot quicker to the boat..my old Diawa sealines 27Hs back in 1985 with standard 3: to 1 are out dated and sitting idle... todays 6: to 1 is double the crank and twice as fast..

My shimano tekotas with a really nice crank i bought on sale for half price..gear ratio measures at 6.3 to 1 picking up that line quickly..I run 14lb Gama in moss green..In 2022 off glasgow I broke my personal best record cranking in 12 for 12 pics just inside 2 hours b4 8am..thats 2 RRFs 40 down off the riggers..

I have 2 shimano tekotas and bought them on sale..total price was $497..sounds like alot..the performance is worth it..and steelhead with line pickup in rough water..some good extra good cranking power, I have been broke off..lol

I said no way to the line counter models, I can meaure a lead in a new york minute..alot less to go wrong..

Well, Okuma, junk or not is what I have.

They've put thousands of fish in the boat and this is the first repair event for any of them.

When they pass on, I'll take a look at everything and see where I end up. 🌻

Everyone has their own preferences on reels and the cost factor comes in to play as well for some. I have really enjoyed switching to Penn reels but didn’t get rid of my Okuma’s as they still work.

hey no offense on okuma, I got 2okumas at home...ya hvyhaul getting your reel fixed in the off season good choice..

the junk quote is my friend Jeff in Eagle..its his fault calling my stuff junk..lol

ya Penn are built like a tank..ya Charlie is running down here on the Rosita Penn internationals off the outriggers..

I think the added resisitance with dipsey divers makes sense not to use a high end reel..I know I wouldn't be with my Shimanos..14lb test is not gonna blow out expensive gears..they should last a long time going light..

Everyone has their own preferences on reels and the cost factor comes in to play as well for some. I have really enjoyed switching to Penn reels but didn’t get rid of my Okuma’s as they still work.
Bought my first penn spincaster 3 years ago its been a good reel smoth as silk

My Okuma Coldwater reels have been working in those Port Glasgow Walleye laiden waters for many dipsey diver days and have not had an issue at all. And they look and work like lucky charms !

Attachments

• 817skVy7ICL._AC_SX522_.jpg
    817skVy7ICL._AC_SX522_.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 1
The more I think about things, I'm a run what yah brung fisher person.

I have under par reels (Magda pro models), mixed rods, but in matched pairs brand/model and length across from each other.

In 2016 when this all started, my neighbour brought dipsys and spoons on the first trip because I had neither, and the two of us fudged our way to a decent day's catch.

It's been an evolution and there's only been a few items where I felt I needed the best I could buy at the time and that was electronics.

I guess I'm living proof one can consistently catch fish using much less than the best equipment there is. (with the neighbour 😁)

So........ those without deep pockets, don't worry about it........... go fishing. 😁🌻

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks