Pike - Bluff Bar - Monday Afternoon May 5th

Duck Soup

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Albert and I were scheduled for our first LPB fishing trip tomorrow but the weather this afternoon was about as good as it can get. We therefore fished Bluff Bar from 2:30 to 5:00 pm this afternoon. Winds were calm and water temp was a cold 50 degrees F. The fishing was a whole lot better than we expected and we landed 17 pike and 1 SM Bass. The pike ranged from 2.5 to 7.5 pounds with the majority 3-6. The bass weighed about 3 pounds. We caught all the fish on jigs. Sorry, no photos. I was turkey hunting this morning and getting out fishing for the first time this afternoon was pretty chaotic. Forgetting the camera was the least of our problems. No turkey this morning but I passed on a nice Jake.

Hi Duck Soup....Nice catch of pike......Did I see you on Lake simcoe at the narrows fishing perch in the derby there ,,,and if I did ,,How did you do.?

For only a couple hours of fishing, I'd say 17 pike is about as good as it gets!!! Great fishing guys. Good luck with turkey hunting Arnie, I see lots in the back fields, off course I'm in the tractor, and those gobbers could care less about a big noisy green tractor. Maybe you could sit in the buddy seat Arnie........lol.

Now that Arnie has started the pike in the bay we know boat season is open ;-)
Not a bad start Arnie...as far as the turkey....well lets just say I haven't done much better than you even though I went looking for them few times...only managed to hear few gobblers one morning and see some hens another morning....that is it...no Toms in sight yet.

Brian,

Maybe I should come visit you in the farm and see if one Tom will come out and play ;-))

Cheers,
Ice Fisherman

Hey Emil, deer and turkeys don't pay much attention to the tractors, as long as you keep moving, but went you stop......they know somethings up:cautious:;)

Thanks 4 the 1st post Arn... sounds like U & Albert had a gud 1st go at it....bettr luck next time at bagging Tom...

Hi Duck Soup....Nice catch of pike......Did I see you on Lake simcoe at the narrows fishing perch in the derby there ,,,and if I did ,,How did you do.?
Hi Thirstyone, haven't fished Simcoe this season.

Hi Duck Soup, that sounds like a great day of fishing.

I'm planning on pike fishing the bay this weekend. I've only tried it a couple of times before with minimal success. I've never ventured out to Bluffs Bar so we'll likely just stick to the inner bay. Would you have any general tips for pike fishing the inner bay? What type of jigs do you use for pike and do you use plastics with them?

I'd really appreciate any advice you could give.

Thanks,
-Joe

Hi Duck Soup, that sounds like a great day of fishing.

I'm planning on pike fishing the bay this weekend. I've only tried it a couple of times before with minimal success. I've never ventured out to Bluffs Bar so we'll likely just stick to the inner bay. Would you have any general tips for pike fishing the inner bay? What type of jigs do you use for pike and do you use plastics with them?

I'd really appreciate any advice you could give.

Thanks,
-Joe
Hi Joey D......while we use jigs frequently at Bluff Bar we rarely use them in the Inner Bay. I'm not exactly sure why except to say that like most anglers we usually defer to bait options that deliver the best results. Spoons, spinner baits and in-line spinners have always produced for us in the Inner Bay. Unfortunately the Bay will be mostly off limits after mid May therefore we plan to focus our efforts there, if we can, until the Sanctuary is established. The biggest problem with the Inner Bay is that rain and wind often muddies up the water making it difficult to target sight feeders like Pike. That is why we headed to Bluff Bar yesterday. It was pretty windy Sunday.

@Aloha...just to clarify, when the sanctuary is in effect, you cannot fish for anything in that area at all, no perch, no rock bass , no pike, no nothin'!

@Aloha...just to clarify, when the sanctuary is in effect, you cannot fish for anything in that area at all, no perch, no rock bass , no pike, no nothin'!
Hi fishbone2........No there is absolutely no fishing in the designated area. Actually the whole concept is pretty popular with local anglers. It's been that way for as long as I've lived in the area and a suggestion that we change was rejected without compromise not too many years ago.

Perfect. I have never fished the inner bay when the sanctuary is in place, but also never went to Bluffs because I wasn't sure if it was part of the sanctuary. I can't exactly tell where Bluffs is on the sanctuary map so I figured it was better just not go out in case it was part of the sanctuary. I guess I have been missing out on some Pike action over the past few years.

Hey guys,I would like to try the Bluff Bar - my dad always talked about fishing there in his younger years- but I am a little stressed about getting out there as I have heard about all kinds of sand bars in the bay so am nervous about hitting one cuz I don't know the path to take... Thoughts?

Slow and steady until familiar with the hazards. I went their myself on Sunday and found it no problems. It is very shallow in certain spots.

Back