Perch - Turkey Point & Inner Bay - Saturday, June 20th

Duck Soup

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
The weather man lied again! The forecast was too good to pass up and our plans were to find some deep water perch in Long Point Bay. We were greeted by 2 foot waves and white caps at the marina and decided to modify our goals and fish Turkey Point again. Well, that didn't work out and after almost two hours of trying we had 3 keeper perch. We decided that maybe we should head for the west end of the Inner Bay on the far side of the Sanctuary markers. When we got there the markers were gone and we had no intention of eyeballing the sanctuary line so we headed for the pack. There was no shortage of action there but keepers were rare. We ended up with 22 perch and 3 rock bass including the three from TP in about 3.5 hours of total fishing effort by three anglers. To make matters worse we also got wet. The weather man predicted a 10% chance of rain in the morning...wrong.

Last edited:
Saw a couple of boats in the sanctuary. Confronted one of the boats and asked the three guys if they knew about the sanctuary. Just because the markers were down, they claimed that it was open season. I do t understand why the cops go to the bay on bass opening day and don't slam the door shut on guys fishing the sanctuary. I must be missing something.

I agree, the weatherman was a real disappointment. Rolled out to Pottahawk, sister didn't fair well with the rollers

The inner bay fish sanctuary is open to fish the Friday before the 4th Saturday in June.
Doesn't mean you can target bass yet tho.

Regards

There were guys targeting bass inside of Turkey Point marina this morning. I confronted one on my way out. Said they were going for pike... as he had a bass hanging from his line and bass lures on their lines. Always fun when people are casting into the boats but that was something special.

The inner bay fish sanctuary is open to fish the Friday before the 4th Saturday in June.
Doesn't mean you can target bass yet tho.

Regards
The way I always interpretted the regs was that it is still closed on the Friday and open on the Saturday? Can anyone else clarify?

The way I always interpretted the regs was that it is still closed on the Friday and open on the Saturday? Can anyone else clarify?

You could be right
I would like to know what others think as well
Either way I think he said he saw them fishing it today which would mean it's open

You're a week early - the Friday before the 4th Saturday is Friday June 26th. And I know it's worded pretty ambiguously, but it doesn't actually open until Saturday when bass opens.

Yes Arnie the weather man was very wrong. Took my dad and father inlaw out perching from Burwell. It wasnt the calmest of days and we got wet too. We did get a mess of nice perch though.

There were guys targeting bass inside of Turkey Point marina this morning. I confronted one on my way out. Said they were going for pike... as he had a bass hanging from his line and bass lures on their lines. Always fun when people are casting into the boats but that was something special.
So what exactly is a bass lure vs a pike lure??? Just curious to your thinking. I fish for both and often use same lures. I'd a jerk bait a pike or bass lure?? Just because a bass grabbed a lure going by what make you think they were targeting bass?? There are lots of pike and Muskie in there as well which is open. The bass laws here are far outdated anyhow. They haven't been reviewed or updated in decades. We definitely need a lesson form new York state.

@Duck Soup I did the same thing Saturday. Took my father-in-law out to fish for some perch. Got out of the Old Cut with a surprise to see how the bay was rolling from the east. We headed out looking for the markers for the sanctuary as well and couldn't find them. Seen a couple of boats and I swear they had to be inside the sanctuary. Not taking any chances, I knew if I came back into 5-6' we would be save and manage to get 10 before the rain got us. Wasn't sure to keep them after catching those jumbos off Hastings.

So what exactly is a bass lure vs a pike lure??? Just curious to your thinking. I fish for both and often use same lures. I'd a jerk bait a pike or bass lure?? Just because a bass grabbed a lure going by what make you think they were targeting bass?? There are lots of pike and Muskie in there as well which is open. The bass laws here are far outdated anyhow. They haven't been reviewed or updated in decades. We definitely need a lesson form new York state.

They kept catching bass and they were only using spinner baits and not very big ones. Pike will hit almost anything (and yes, the bass will too) and yes the same lures work for both. But if you are trying to avoid bass then use larger jerk baits. Also, if you targeting pike you probably will not tie directly to the spinner bait.

They left the bass hanging there and weren't really interested in being careful. Plus I have kids in the boat at they are casting spinner baits towards them landing with a foot or two of my boat. There is a lot of water out there. No need to do that stuff.

They kept catching bass and they were only using spinner baits and not very big ones. Pike will hit almost anything (and yes, the bass will too) and yes the same lures work for both. But if you are trying to avoid bass then use larger jerk baits. Also, if you targeting pike you probably will not tie directly to the spinner bait.

They left the bass hanging there and weren't really interested in being careful. Plus I have kids in the boat at they are casting spinner baits towards them landing with a foot or two of my boat. There is a lot of water out there. No need to do that stuff.

Was it a Bennington Pontoon? Had a guy guy trying to get me going on Friday night saying he was headed down to the bay to get some bass while they were still hitting. I've chewed his kids out in the past for going after largemouth that were guarding nests in hamilton harbor and he constantly tries to get me going about it.

Back