Perch Possession Limits! Please read

B

Big Dave

Hi Everyone.

I have been talking to a number of people lately and the discussion of Possession limits has been a topic. On lake Erie the possession limit is 1 daily limit or 50 fish. On lake Simcoe the possession limit is 100 fish.

I would like to propose a petition to raise the possession limit to 100 fish and present it to the MNR and see if we as fisherman can affect change.

I am not overly tech savvy so I am asking for some input and help on this subject. We need to do this as a group and some organization will be needed. I have some contacts who have said they will make some inquiries.

I am opening this thread in hopes that people feel the same on the limits and that we can organize and make this happen.

Feel free to make comments and if you know of any way to help contact me at fishhunt1@hotmail.com and lets get this underway.

Sincerely
Dave Warnica. aka Big Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you propose the daily possession limit be lowered to 25? Or a slot size? Be careful what you wish for. If the legislators start looking at change they may go the opposite way.

I once learned the hard way. When supervisors started complaining that certain groups of employees weren't pulling their weight on shifts, management closely looked at it and said your right, there isn't enough work for them on shifts and put them all on days. Who would do the little work they did, yep operators.

Watch what you wish for, good luck Dave.

I presume you wish a possession limit of 100?
Why?
for the same reason as Lake Simcoe has a 100 possession. Lake Erie has a huge population of yellow perch, if it were raised it would allow fisherman 2 days of fishing without being over a limit and it would increase tourism.

This was something one of the MNR biologist had brought up before he retired. He felt the fishery could sustain it and was also in favor.

BD

Question: How long, REALISTICALLY can you freeze perch before it starts to get freezer burn?
My experience has been 3 months....maybe you can stretch it to 4 months. After that, I've always found the fish, regardless of how you pack it, loses a great deal of flavour and pushes risk to freezer burn. Given the number of pounds you get in ONE limit of 50 perch, I'd be guessing that most would be pushing to eat their limit in 3 months, even with 2 meals a week. I like the limit the way it is, personally. BD, I do understand why you would want that for tourism purposes, but not sure if I'm ready to jump on board simply for tourism sake. If anything, perhaps the Government should consider changing Lake Simcoe's limits to 50/day. I definitely learned something today...didn't realize Lake Simcoe had a different limit. Thanks for the info!
Ken

Just to be clear, both lake Simcoe and Erie have a daily catch limit of 50 perch (sportfishing license that is). The difference is that your possession limit for lake Simcoe is 100 perch (i.e. 2 days catch) while Lake Erie is 50 (1 days catch). Not sure why Simcoe is different but I would presume it was to attract fishermen to spend a weekend there instead of just a day when the fish stock could handle it. It seems to me that there were more zones and species with different catch and possession limits years ago but it is a rare situation today.

Not sure how I feel about the proposal Dave, I will have to think about it. Seems to me it will just promote a lot more fish heading down the 401 but there is obviously more to consider than just that I guess.

Does lake Simcoe with stand the commercial fishing like Erie does ? Sorry if anything I'd like to see it lowered. Consequence summed it up with the smelt fishing

Hmmmm...50 perch is a lot of fish. Not sure how healthy it is to eat too many as in accordance with the guide for eating sport fish. Altbough this topic has crossed my mind as well, a fifty perch limit seems to be more than enough fish to have frozen in the freezer. Just MHO though.

Fair enough

Smelt thrive in lake Erie, they have changed spawning habits

"He said the die-off isn't likely to hurt the smelt population. Lake Erie has a smelt fishery and last year more than eight million pounds of smelt were caught with a value of $1.9 million.
There was a bumper crop of smelt in 2008 and sometimes when smelt are more abundant, more are likely to die, he explained".

Quoted from a MNR official speaking about the die off a few years ago and commenting on smelt populations in lake Erie.

BD

Last edited by a moderator:
Question: How long, REALISTICALLY can you freeze perch before it starts to get freezer burn?
My experience has been 3 months....maybe you can stretch it to 4 months. After that, I've always found the fish, regardless of how you pack it, loses a great deal of flavour and pushes risk to freezer burn. Given the number of pounds you get in ONE limit of 50 perch, I'd be guessing that most would be pushing to eat their limit in 3 months, even with 2 meals a week. I like the limit the way it is, personally. BD, I do understand why you would want that for tourism purposes, but not sure if I'm ready to jump on board simply for tourism sake. If anything, perhaps the Government should consider changing Lake Simcoe's limits to 50/day. I definitely learned something today...didn't realize Lake Simcoe had a different limit. Thanks for the info!
Ken

I couldn't agree more. How long does it take to eat 50 perch, a day?

As far as booking more clients Dave, if you look at it closely, you may not book as many trips with a 100 fish limit. If it was raised to 100 they would only have to book half as many trips to fill the freezer. The earning dollar to fish ratio for you would be lower, and the cost of fish per trip would be lower for the client. In other words if someone wanted 100 perch you would need to take them out twice, that's twice the revenue for you. If you get them 100 perch in 1 day they could say thanks Dave see you next year.

Are you sure you want to do this?

Hi Dave....the LPBAA was involved with setting the limit at 50. Dave Ankney, John Piggott and myself represented anglers from this part of Lake Erie when it was implemented. Individual letters and a petition cannot hurt but you are more likely to get action if the OFAH, LPBAA and/or the LPF&G Club were also involved and supported the proposal. I think Ankney may have been representing OFAH at the time but I'm not certain. Personally, I'm like G. Mech and not sure. There are certainly enough perch in your area to support the proposal but LPB for example is not doing very well. I doubt angler limits have a huge impact on the health of the perch fishery but increasing the possession limit at this time may not go over well with folks struggling to catch a few for supper.

True enough Duck. I am busy enough as it is I do however get calls from Americans wanting to come up but not doing so due to possession limits. I don't keep many myself as I give mine away to friends etc... From a tourist opportunity from hotels to bait shops, charters, restaurants it would be good.

LPB is a tough fishery so I could see the negative impact there.

PS some days it would take 50 LPB perch to make a meal:D

BD

I couldn't agree more. How long does it take to eat 50 perch, a day?

As far as booking more clients Dave, if you look at it closely, you may not book as many trips with a 100 fish limit. If it was raised to 100 they would only have to book half as many trips to fill the freezer. The earning dollar to fish ratio for you would be lower, and the cost of fish per trip would be lower for the client. In other words if someone wanted 100 perch you would need to take them out twice, that's twice the revenue for you. If you get them 100 perch in 1 day they could say thanks Dave see you next year.

Are you sure you want to do this?
Possession limits not daily, I wouldn't have room for 700 perch!:D

I guess where it would affect a guy is if he drove a distance to get to Erie with a friend or 2 and could only drive home with a 1 day limit of 50 perch each, wouldn't make for much of a weekend,

BD

Yes the limit is posesion this includes what you have in your freezer. I talked to a fisherman while getting ready to launch my boat, he said he was out the day before and got his limit. And was going back out again for more this tells me that he is now poaching as he will be over his possesion limit. If we increased the limit all this would do is alow people like this to take more home to his freezer at a time. I think the limit should be decreased to slow some of these guys down.

I just spoke with a friend in Ohio. They have a daily but no limit on possession, Best we let them keep them all I guess:confused:

BD

One of the reason Simcoe has higher possession perch limits is because lots of Americans go there particularly in winter ice fishing. This allows them to take home 100 fish and leave some of their $$ there.

Cheers,
Ice Fisherman

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks