Fishing Report Perch - LP Inner Bay - Tuesday, April 16th

Duck Soup

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Beautiful day! Targeted perch for 3 hours with Albert starting at 10:15 am in the west end with a fleet of other angler's. The fishing was excellent with average perch about 10". The problem was that the majority were big females. We released all the jumbo (F) but have no idea if doing so helps to conserve the fishery or makes little or no difference. We ended up keeping 27 perch, all about 10". Only a few dinks today and a fair number of Jumbo's. Some 10 inchers were male but not the majority.

After cleaning our perch yesterday majority were female.

My opinion is if you want to do everything you can to help conserve the perch population you shouldn’t fish for them April and May at all. But keeping a couple meals isn’t going to hurt their population too much
Plus 2 years of no ice equals extra perch to catch right now 😇

After cleaning our perch yesterday majority were female.

My opinion is if you want to do everything you can to help conserve the perch population you shouldn’t fish for them April and May at all. But keeping a couple meals isn’t going to hurt their population too much
Plus 2 years of no ice equals extra perch to catch right now 😇
Yeah! Agree....don't usually fish for perch this time of year. Typically the weather doesn't encourage participation and I prefer to target pike in May. Not much meat on female perch right now.

First time out @Duck Soup ??? The pike season is just about to happen with me too.
I’ve been busy lately cleaning pike for a guy and this coming weekend might be the end of his season. Back in early March there were lots of females loaded and not spawned out yet but the last two weekends it showed they had. Last weekend I cleaned 22 and there was only 2 that hadn’t spawn out. He ended up with almost 30 lbs of fillets.
I’ll be looking for you guys this year on the water and all the best to you and Albert.

First time out @Duck Soup ??? The pike season is just about to happen with me too.
I’ve been busy lately cleaning pike for a guy and this coming weekend might be the end of his season. Back in early March there were lots of females loaded and not spawned out yet but the last two weekends it showed they had. Last weekend I cleaned 22 and there was only 2 that hadn’t spawn out. He ended up with almost 30 lbs of fillets.
I’ll be looking for you guys this year on the water and all the best to you and Albert.
Hi Jim, Good to hear from you and also happy that the majority of pike are spawned out. It was pretty discouraging filleting perch yesterday when the waste was mostly eggs. The fillets from the few males I had in my share provided 3 times the edible meat when compared to the average female. I don't ice fish therefore cannot relate to mooner's comments.

Very nice to hear you and Albert got out on the water Arnie. I hope both of you are well. I'm glad you both got some Erie Gold for a couple meals. Nice catching. I have the same thoughts like you about keeping big females. I have to release them as well as it's just something that has been set in my mind and ways for years. (y) 👍👍👍

Reactions: DST
I am glad I am not the only one who is not keen on keeping females full of eggs. It Was not a good feeling cleaning them and the meat was mushy anyway. It was absolutely beautiful fishing last week. I believe I will wait a little longer to perch fish again. Too many boats out there.

Beautiful day! Targeted perch for 3 hours with Albert starting at 10:15 am in the west end with a fleet of other angler's. The fishing was excellent with average perch about 10". The problem was that the majority were big females. We released all the jumbo (F) but have no idea if doing so helps to conserve the fishery or makes little or no difference. We ended up keeping 27 perch, all about 10". Only a few dinks today and a fair number of Jumbo's. Some 10 inchers were male but not the majority.
we were down late running the boat before Quinte walleye trip.i think we were just over from you.its hard being by someone who is dialed in and knows what they are doing.LOL.but it was a great day!Kitch

Biologically speaking it makes no difference when a fish removed from the population from the date of last spawn until its next spawning cycle. Sanctuaries ect only work if they protect a highly vulnerable species at spawning time (eg nest builders like smallmouth bass). So...take them when you catch them and want or need a meal or 2 without feeling guilty. The commercial inner bay net fishermen love big spawners. More weight for less work.

I have kept and eaten big spawning female and male perch in the spring as well in the fall not spawning fish no difference in texture of meat whatsoever, ideal size for me is 10-12 inches I find it easier to filet, also I fish areas where depth is 50 plus feet no catch and release there as the fish won't survive
Each to its own but I never feel guilty keeping them

I have kept and eaten big spawning female and male perch in the spring as well in the fall not spawning fish no difference in texture of meat whatsoever, ideal size for me is 10-12 inches I find it easier to filet, also I fish areas where depth is 50 plus feet no catch and release there as the fish won't survive
Each to its own but I never feel guilty keeping them
Besides the commercial guys take over 6.5 million pounds of perch and do you think they care if they are spawners or ever feel bad about it? ;)

Besides the commercial guys take over 6.5 million pounds of perch and do you think they care if they are spawners or ever feel bad about it? ;)
Agree with you @Wave Runner , they have to make a living too , and people want the perch
Bottom line if it was a problem the ministry would / should implement measures accordingly
I know the central basin is declined but where I fish no shortage in perch , aldo on the U S side they dropped the limit

Agree with you @Wave Runner , they have to make a living too , and people want the perch
Bottom line if it was a problem the ministry would / should implement measures accordingly
I know the central basin is declined but where I fish no shortage in perch , aldo on the U S side they dropped the limit
I guess it’s a good thing long point bay isn’t considered part of the central basin. Haha
And im sure the decline has nothing to do with the few people pulling perch in April and May

I guess it’s a good thing long point bay isn’t considered part of the central basin. Haha
And im sure the decline has nothing to do with the few people pulling perch in April and May
Yes you are correct the bay is part of central, but I was referring to the main lake
I seen conversations from members here who fished it and was a awesome fishery
I think actually @Wave Runner was posting about a while back

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks