Nice

TMAN

so asking for some help and get 60 views not one person chose to help me out! Thanks alot! Now I know why the old boys club rumour is spread. That is quite pathetic! You will never receive a dollar from me. Thanks for nothing!!

Endeavour to Persevere

Did you consider the possibility that no one responded because no one knew the answer to your question? How in heck could anyone know what your chances of getting a good walk-in blind might be? If you're going to show up at 5am, then you should expect to get what's available, just like everyone else.

I have never been to walk out before, I hunt out by the bay with my boat. So I have no idea how to respond that, hey I arrive after the line up at the office and everyone had their number with them. I waited patiently until last number was called out. I just randomly picked out what shooting point was available and hoped for the best and luck too.

The only variables in that question would be, how people in the line-up ahead of you, how many reservations ahead of you and how many of them wanted a walk out blind.

Hi - I've been down to the Marsh four times this year. Three reservations and one line-up. I only use the walk-out blinds (no boat). I've always gotten a walk-out blind when I showed up at 5AM (or earlier for the line-up). I was reservation #7 last Saturday and there were a number of guys ahead of me who also needed walk-out blinds. I was still able to get one ... although not my preferred choice. It turned out OK - one mallard, 1 cripple and lots of shots that had the shooter been a little more competent there should have been a total 4 birds for the day.
Don't be cranky :)

You will just have to "endeavour to persevere" ? LoL !

Seriously...at this time of year you should not have too much of a problem but we could get a blast of winter temps. anytime and you will be S.O.L. !

You asked your question after 10PM on Sunday night and then are pissed that you don't have an answer by Monday morning? When asking for advice, I would be happy with either free or fast, I would not expect both.

Maybe too late for you but I would say a bit dependent on weather but on most week days a walk-in is usually available but if we start to get ice at the launches any open water walk-ins will be under very high demand.

I always suggest people throw a canoe on top. It at least gives you a bunch of options if the walk-ins are taken.

Hello TMAN,

I just read your request about 10 minutes ago and I wanted to finish reviewing the rest of the new threads before responding to your question ... then I read this one!

I do not belong to the "old boys club" as you put it but I will say that they are a bunch of dedicated sportsmen and making derogatory comments about them will not help you get an answer any sooner.

I was without a trailer hitch on my new F-150 so I had no choice but to take a walk in blind back in October and both times I got one.

You should not have any problem getting a walk in blind at this time of the year as previously mentioned ... especially if you go during the week.

Please note that Fridays are usually busier than Mondays and Wednesdays so go earlier in the week to get a better selection.

Finally ... at $20.00 for a LPWA membership you can not get a better investment for your money ... please reconsider your comment.

Sincerely,

Jerome Katchin, D.V.M.

TMAN does make an interesting point though. Nobody answered... not even to say it wasn't possible to know what his chances were.

A few weeks back a fellow asked about how to book the DU fields. That post sat for a week and through hundreds of views before I answered and told him to check at the unit office for the details.

Back in early October another guy posted about his trip of a lifetime to Saskatchewan. Nobody responded, not even to say nice! I sent him a private email congratulating him on the trip and he told me he was shocked that I was the only person to comment.

As I understand it this forum is for the LPWA... at least it says so at the top of the page. One would think that folks from the LPWA, either members or the executive, would answer direct questions about the operation of the waterfowl unit. Sometimes the answer is "I don't know" but at least it is a response.

I don't come on here very often and I have to confess that I have not hunted the Unit even once this year but I still found time to answer a simple question. It is a shame more folks don't do so. The forum is a great way to share our love of the outdoors, our passion for waterfowl and our knowledge of the Long Point area. It will only be valuable if folks participate.

Paul

Don't have time to review this site every few hours but it looks to me like TMAN got six or seven responses in less than 24 hours. All with more or less the same advice. "hard to say bu you are probably OK". I really don't see that as ignoring his request for information by the community.

quote:
Originally posted by singlemalt

Don't have time to review this site every few hours but it looks to me like TMAN got six or seven responses in less than 24 hours. All with more or less the same advice. "hard to say bu you are probably OK". I really don't see that as ignoring his request for information by the community.

Singlemalt, the original thread is still sitting there with 146 views and no responses. I often go days and sometimes even weeks without checking in and I am sure many other busy folks like you do the same. You can't be expected to reply if you are not on here. My point simply is that lots of folks have been reading the original post and not replying. It wasn't until he expressed disappointment in a new thread that he got a response.

I agree that asking a question like that with such short notice is not the best way to get a timely answer but I certainly think there are far too many lurkers who don't step into a conversation or answer an honest question.

Forums like this depend on participation to be successful. It seems like a lot of folks will only jump in if they have something negative to say.

Paul

It's too bad that we don't have internet at the cottage as I've been down there for most of the season and could have given my 2 cents worth but on the other hand there are members and Directors that live in the area and have access to the net that could have responded had TMan posted a little earlier.

So the lesson learned here is; Ask early and often ? Become a member of the LPWA ?

Sorry you got so upset Tman. it has always appeared to me that everyone on here is pretty helpful . as for me i dont really read this site very often during the season . but i will tell you that during the week you will have no trouble getting a walk out even if you show up just before Fred and for Saturday if you are in line by 2pm on friday you will have a good enough pick to ensure a walkout .
Glenn

" Thats 12 already ? count them again Larry "

I understand I made a late hail mary request and didn't expect much of an answer. However when I realized 60 people had viewed prior to sunrise I was upset that not 1 comment was given. I chat alot on OOD boards with very positive results and feedback. Seems to me most people are more helpful and willing to give advice... I loved the long point experience and still day dream about it when I would visit 4-5 times a season. since I have married and have 3 wonderful children and life has become very busy so I reached out for some help and was ignored by my fellow hunting community. This second post was for me to express my disappointment, I hope I didn't offend anybody but some of the angry response allude to guilty parties who refused to reply to the original request. Thank you to those of you who have responded with useful information. It is a great help and gives me an idea as to whether I should chance a visit next monday. And finally OCLP your response reaks like old boy club mentality, sorry had to be said. I know you post alot and have enjoyed alot of your postings, they seemed well thought out and informative but this response was school yard bullyish.....thanks! buy don't worry I will Endeavour to Persevere I always do!!

Endeavour to Persevere

hunting is like life the more u put in the more u get out get down there as early as u can talk to the guys that are there all the time u get much better info in the real world than in front of this screen ive only been hunting the unit for 4 years i used to get 1 duck and was happy this year were averaging 7 or 8 i,m not yet a member of the old boys club but i,m working on it look in ur mirror glenn i,m comin around turn 4 and gaining fast i,m after ur title good luck everybody play safe c u sat

jonny1duck

"And finally OCLP your response reaks like old boy club mentality, sorry had to be said. I know you post alot and have enjoyed alot of your postings, they seemed well thought out and informative but this response was school yard bullyish.....thanks! buy don't worry I will Endeavour to Persevere I always do!!"

TMAN, I asked if anybody wanted an extra gun for opening day, got no response either, but did not take such offence. Lighten up a little :):):) life is too short :):). A pretty good bunch of guys hunt up there.

I'd be willing to take a day off work next week and hunt (willing to break ice) with anyone that can fit in an extra gun, just pm me, if you have room.

Thanks,
Don.

Hello TMAN,

You may have noticed that I have also posted on the OOD Waterfowl forum and I have received a greater response to my OOD Waterfowl threads than to my Channel 6-8 Waterfowl threads.

Remember that the OOD Waterfowl forum is read by a lot more people than the Channel 6-8 Waterfowl forum.

As an example ... take a look at my thread regarding my Proposal for a Tundra Swan Harvest in the Province of Ontario and the other related threads in both forums and see the difference in the number of responses as well as the level of support. The support that I received from the OOD Waterfowl forum was several times that from the Channel 6-8 Waterfowl forum.

However several LPWA members responded to my presentation and the enclosed survey regarding a limited Tundra Swan harvest that I gave at the LPWA Annual General Meeting last April yeilding an 83% level of support for my proposal. It should be noted that one respondent who did not support my proposal at the time stated that he would like to hunt Tundra Swans in the future and would even buy a Tundra Swan tag if Ontario had a season for them.

Add to the completed surveys returned from the LPWA members the completed surveys that others from the OOD Waterfowl forum had printed from the forum and e-mailed to me and the level of support rises to 86% in favour of a limited Tundra Swan harvest.

I do not recall receiving a response from you through the Channel 6-8 Waterfowl forum. However if you would like a copy of my presentaion and the enclosed survey you can pick one up at my house when you come down to hunt. I can also fax or mail you a copy for you to review.

Jerome Katchin, D.V.M.

PS I may try the Crown Marsh again next Monday or Wednesday so if you want to know about the ice conditions down here just ask me.

I post somewhat regularily on the fishing forum but don't have much to add to the duck info. One difference with this board IMO is that it doesn't require membership or login to view content. It seems with some fishing posts there will be hundreds of views with little response, and I get the impression it's people just looking for info who don't contribute. After awhile the regulars may become less willing to post up their success and information for the mass consumption of those only mining the site for info?

Hello Quackers,

You have made a very good point in that some people can access the forum who are not registered so they can not respond even if they wanted to.

When I first started checking out Channel 6-8 I could not respond to the threads as I was not registered and then I had some trouble getting registered until Duck Soup helped me out.

Jerome

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks