New Jacket

can't miss

I've boated for yrs with many types of life jacket's, "" within easy access "" . They say with age comes wisdom, not sure if that's true here, but I plan to wear one from now on, instead of sitting on it.
Anybody found any brands and type's they really like?? Has anyone tried those small, sell inflating ones you see alot of the TV pro's wearing??
Thanks

Started wearing inflatables a number of years ago ,put them on and keep them on.
You can wear them all day and hardly know they are there .
Recently bought the self inflating ones . They were on sale at Bass Pro a short while ago.
I would recomend them to anybody, my older ones are Stearns, the new ones are Bas Pros own brand .

you have to remember if that's all you have on your boat you have to wear it all the time you cant take them off that's the law

Yes, highhopes made an important point. If you are not wearing your self inflatable it does not count as a legal life preserver in your boat. Another point is that you have to replace a part of your deployment mechanism every three years. It cost about $10 to replace. I've had one since 2003 but will admit that I rarely wear it. Again, having it on board counts for nothing if you get checked. The comfort factor is exaggerated. If you wear a life jacket they are better than the others but just wearing a quality fishing shirt or jersey that breathes and protects you from the sun is a 300% more comfortable. That said the chances of me falling out of my all purpose fishing boat are pretty slim.

I don't have an inflatable, and I don't wear often, unless it's rough, or early and late season. If I was alone in a boat in big water, I would probably wear too. In those times when I prefer to wear, I wish I had an inflatable. Easy solution is to have both in your boat, so you have the option to wear the inflatable or have the stored standard jacket to be legal. That's fine avoidance advice. Truth be told, wearing it is probably the best option, but I'd need to take my own advice before I gave it to someone else...

I have a question on that as well my jackets r stored in the bow storage of my boat do I have to have them out to be legal or is it ok for them to be in the storage

I have an inflatable and the traditional types, I like the inflatable. I don't wear either as much as I should but do when alone and going out deeper. You have to have them accessible, in other words you can put your hands on them and grab them, not have to open a hatch or pull them out of a box.

I keep my life jackets straped to the seats for legality but also have the bass pro inflatable ones and like others only wear when alone or rough conditions. Im a big guy and find traditional life jackets very uncomfortable. The bass pro one are comfortble

I see Duck Soup's reasoning as I hate those things on at any time especially when it's hot...hot! However, I am for the first time in my 50 years of boating going to purchase a new auto inflatable PDF. They say the new ones are much cooler and more comfortable than ever so we'll see. I always have my PDF's in the back of my boat but one time I was caught in a flash storm that was worse than anything I have ever experienced. We barely had time to pull the riggers and get the top up when it hit tearing the top right off my boat blowing tackle boxes and fishing equipment everywhere.:eek: In fact the wind was about 90 km but felt like 190 with heavy hail and driving rain so hard I could not even see my GPS or compass in almost total darkness. Scariest thing I have ever encountered and my buddy having legs as bad as mine couldn't get to the PDF's. I had everything I could do just keeping the boat from capsizing as it was filling with hail and water so fast the pumps could not keep up. When it was over the water was sloshing around well over our ankles with the back end sitting so low half my outboard was submerged and had hail at least 2 inches deep from bow to stern. Never seen anything like it, it took about 30 minuets to pass but it seemed like a lifetime. That was one time I really wished I had one of those inflatable puppies on I can tell you that much. :nailbiting:

Inflatables $90.00 off at Fishing World in Hamilton. Bought one last week, now I have 2. $110.00 plus HST.

If your life jackets are not EASILY accessible you may get fined. It's the interpretation of the laws that are key. I buckle them to the seats. Because they are buckled someone may say they are not easily accessible.

I have a mustang inflatable. I put it on when I get to the dock and I forget its on unless I go swimming. I make the kids wear their life jackets always so I have to set the example. I went for the mustang over the other brands because I have a ~25 yr old suit by them that is still good.

I don't think I will ever need it (haven't in 35 years being around boats) but drowning would suck.... and with kids in the boat the chances of them doing something that puts me in the water seems pretty high.

I have both an lots to cover whose on board,throwing line is close I wear inflatable an have 2 hooked on the seats:)the one,s on the seats act as a throwing device as well ,very easy to grab an toss:censored:

Last edited:
I hope you have a good arm @HORTY, I can't throw one more than a few feet. Maybe if I tied a few bricks on the life jacket I can get some distance.

I think anyone who has been here for a while knows how I feel about wearing jackets, no PFD no going in my boat. Sitting anchored is fine to take it off. Take it all off, not @lifesabeach or any other males on my boat.

Inflatables are definitely the way to go.If you get an auto-inflatable do not leave it in the boat.My wife's went off on it's own during the week when we were at home and hers was in a storage compartment.I figured it got hot and humid enough in the boat that it melted the powder and discharged the CO2.The recharge kit was $30.I own a Mustang and I have to say after 5 min. you forget you're even wearing it.

Duck soup: " That said the chances of me falling out of my all purpose fishing boat are pretty slim."
That's what I thought until it happened to me up on Lake Simcoe in 38 degree water. One miss step and I was holding onto the side of my boat and could not get out of the water with all of my gear on. Took two other fishermen helping me from another boat to save my fat butt or I would not be writing this today. Any strength you had instantly disappears in the cold water. That was two years ago and now I put on my inflatable PFD before I even put in the boat plug. You will NEVER catch me not wearing mine.

I have a lotus life vest it's light and has pockets I where it every time I get in the boat, the whole time. If it's a real hot day take your shirt off, leave the vest on. I highly recommend lotus. I got mine at algonquin outfitters I'm sure you can get them at adventure guide in waterloo or anywhere they sell white water gear.

any of the hydro static life vests are the way to go , they are the norm now for professional sailors working on the water. definitely spend the extra and get the hydro-static version as it will inflate when you hit the water with a pressure sensor. never know if your gonna be unconscious hitting the water and could save your life even though your not able to. they have a 3 year shelf life and are renewable for 30 bucks . they have an expiry date like all life vests FYI. worth checking out your vests every year before you store them. don't want some rookie writing you a ticket cause he needs feathers in his cap. also for the safety of your Friends and family. i know have 4 hydro-static vests of my boat at all time less storage and way better protection.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks