MY SIDE OF THE STORY "OPENING MORN"

You guys are all crazy! just be thankful were all heathly enough to even go out hunting, bickering about reserving public land, get a grip. This discussion has gone on for long enough.

Note: the last few posts were especially ridiculous, nice essays!

I will admit I am not an educated man but even I understand the meaning of the qoute in question. I am however a little perplexed by the rehtorical bafflegab that it garnered.

As for the question of madness vs. crazy ? Is that a trick question Professor ? All I know is they will be calling me "eccentric" should I win tonites big Lotto Max !!!!!!

Good Luck and Good Hunting !

I've heard it said before that "There's nothing a duck hunter hates more than other duck hunters."

Not sure who said it, or if I misquoted. But I think I got it pretty close, and it sure is the truth ;)

Not that I think we're all on the verge of fights to the death. But it seems we're a brotherhood who all sleep with one eye open.

Hey OCLP, is that like having your brother bump you out of the way so he can shoot?[:eek:)] Safely mind you....:D

BD

Big Daves Fishing Charter
519 777 0146
SVOP
MED A3
First Aid/CPR

Hello Guys,

I would like to suggest my interpretation of Canvasback's mantra "For those who understand, no explanation is needed and for those who do not, none is possible" as "For those who have the capacity to understand, no explanation is needed and for those who do not have the capacity to understand, none is possible" with the green areas being added for clarification purposes.

I would also like to suggest that this saying means (to me anyways) that there are some people who will understand an issue without an explanation while there are some people who will never understand that issue regardless of an explanation. However that does not mean that there are not people who have the capacity to understand the issue with an explanation.

Jerome

This is like being in a room full of women on the rag. Would you guys just shut up already and somebody shoot a duck!

Traveling North America chasing the migration and making memories one shotshell at a time. KDS

Boy ,has my original issue ever taken off.To clarify some things -yes there were 5 signs posted that was because there were supposed to be 5 groups hunting that morning. My brother OCLP and his son were part of the 4 that had to pull out due to last minute (tuesday/wednesday) changes in work schedules.We did arrive around 6:00 am -why that late ? Because in the last 15-20 years everyone had honoured tradition and our places there were open for us to hunt .If there's a lesson to be learned here is that we will have to be out earlier next year to quote "protect our spot".
What I have read here has been an ongoing debate(?) of older hunters VS. new ,younger generation hunters !
Yes the quote "duck hunters hate other duck hunters " makes me laugh because at times I really think it's true.I resent the publicity that Long Point gets because it brings in new hunters making it more difficult to find places to hunt on the Point be it in the Unit or in the limited spaces we have that are open.Without having to risk life and limb to hunt beyond Pottohawk in uncertain weather conditions there are a limited number of areas to hunt so yes other hunters are competitors for prime locations .Yet bring us together off the water and we share the love of the hunt and the stories of missed birds over some adult bevridges.We all can't afford the 20 ft plus boats to get us away from the crowds but we all love to pay $$ to support DU or Delta and break bread with our fellow hunters .There are no issues out there that couldn't be explained or settled over a cold beer or a rum.
This younger vs.older gap regarding traditions could easily be understood by all if we sat down and had a beer or 2 and talked about how for example when I was young -50 plus years ago I would help my Dad make signs in the spring (back then you could do that ) then put them out . We would make periodical checks on them (an excuse to go out in the boat) and then hunt them -not just "Opening " but all season as other hunters honoured each others signs . Yes that has disappeared but most of us "older generation "hunters learned about hunting that way.I guess a lot of the newcomers learn by taking the hunting course and figure they are all set to go hunting without ever learning of these time honoured ways.An example how things have changes was last year when I lost a Dakota Mallard decoy in Little Rice Bay with my name and address on it but never came back to me . In the past if you found someone's decoys you returned them if possible -I know I found a lovely carved wooden decoy in the marsh in the Unit and returned it to it's owner even though only his initials were on it .Hopefully we can all try to take something from these posts here even if only some of them make you laugh at some hunters points of view -we all realize we have a lot of work to do to maintain our sport at it's current level and hope we don't lose any ground .

Hello Sonny,

Well said but I believe that we need to "enhance" the waterfowling experience at Long Point, in Ontario and the rest of Canada ... not just maintain it.

I trust that you know what I am talking about.

Jerome

Soony

The older generation used to go out, post a spot and for the most part build a blind or modify the area for better hunting, you just went out and plastered an area with signs and came out late thinking it was "YOUR SPOT". Times have changed.

5 signs in Jones and only 3 of you go out? OCLP knew he was working weeks before opener and knew he wasnt going to hunt opening day.

Get over it.:D

BD

FYI BD ! OCLP asked me to put out his sign and his son's for the opening and in fact re-located his sign a week and a half before the Opening as he didn't like where I had put it and moved it about 40 yds.Do you think he would go to that trouble if he had no intentions of hunting opening day . Then the matter of his work schedule --since there is a severe staff shortage he barely knows his work schedule a week in advance and if he was supposed to work he has switched shifts when he wanted to be hunting on a regular basis .
So since I don't believe you are working as a shift co-ordinator @ OCLP 's place of employment I suggest you restrict your comments to areas where you have knowledge like perch fishing.
If you have a personal problem with me please take it up with me in person and not by taking cheap ill-informed comments on this site.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks