My first Steelhead of the Fall,2017

sorry to hear all of that..not to smart postin catch locations on facebook..we keep that stuff quiet...ya can't handle that kind of pressure...eventually some of it could get posted property...most steelheaders adjust and go where we can without the circus....but it does piss ya off ...I won't mention anymore on here...even a couple of the slower & quiet ones i still fish in the spring locally I have landowner permission ...I will catch up with an ol steelheader I fished with for years..hear what hes fishin these days..

and good luck on the rest of the season...

Last edited:
The issue with Bayfield is the fact it's been talked up so much on Facebook lately. Doesn't help that it's the closest Huron trib to London either, first stop for most guys. A dozen cars at Varna is nothing! 12-15 is a normal weekday with poor conditions! I've seen 30+ on weekends.....and theres another 15 at both bannockburn line and Peck's......and atleast 15 more carloads fishing from 21 through rainbow valley.....that river, with it's minimal spawning habitat can't handle that kind of pressure :(

Josh
yup bayfield cant handle all those fishermen.problem is to many people now

Lol @mick! Things have changed!!! The Bayfield is a complete shit show and the Maitland has been overrun with with guys learning how to spey fish....places like the upper bighead where I would rarely see another soul can now see up to 15 or more boats floating through in a morning. Things are ALOT different than just a few years ago. No one wanted to believe that the internet could have such an effect on small tribs.....well, guess what!? WRONG!!!! There's still solitude available for those that are willing to put in the effort but it's not in the traditional spots.

Yup, the LHFC still dumps browns in, but they are concentrated around Kincardine. They are a rarity on the Mait and Nine nowadays. The Sarnia club also plants alot of Browns and those have been showing up along the shoreline in the spring, sometimes in very good numbers;) Those Georgian Bay Browns are growing exceptionally fast and I've seen a few monsters show up on those tribs. Definitely not targetble numbers but a nice, occasional surprise while steelheading.

Josh
It also does not help when you have big mouthed tackle shops telling every customer exact locations where to fish, not just a river in general.

Yes there are certainly too many fisherman now and all have access to info on the Internet. However... the streams, rivers and lakes are not our personal possession. There's no use whining about it because like it or not all anglers have the same right to fish wherever they wish on permitted waterways just like we do. I stopped fishing the shoulder to shoulder Huron tribs years ago opting for the open lake which really has a lot more steelhead than the rivers will ever produce. Even then sometimes someone tries to throw an anchor into your boat! Yes I still miss the seclusion and the magic of walking the rivers fishing for elusive trout but I lost that interest long ago when the circus came to town. These days if you want the solitude of fishing tribs all to yourself then it's the backwoods of northern Ontario well away from where you can drive. Other than that, the simple reality is that's how it is and it will only get worse.

There's still plenty of secluded spots on the SW ontario tribs;) Just gotta put in a little extra effort and think outside the box.....most days I see nobody. Yesterday was an exception, ran into 5 guys over about 10kms on a GB trib :p

Josh

Yes there are certainly too many fisherman now and all have access to info on the Internet. However... the streams, rivers and lakes are not our personal possession. There's no use whining about it because like it or not all anglers have the same right to fish wherever they wish on permitted waterways just like we do. I stopped fishing the shoulder to shoulder Huron tribs years ago opting for the open lake which really has a lot more steelhead than the rivers will ever produce. Even then sometimes someone tries to throw an anchor into your boat! Yes I still miss the seclusion and the magic of walking the rivers fishing for elusive trout but I lost that interest long ago when the circus came to town. These days if you want the solitude of fishing tribs all to yourself then it's the backwoods of northern Ontario well away from where you can drive. Other than that, the simple reality is that's how it is and it will only get worse.
yes wave runner i agree.there are plenty of fish out in the lake around the rivers.beach fishing also can be good and steady,ive done that way more then rivers.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks