My first Steelhead of the Fall,2017

Red Hering

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
4EB0B570-0AFC-44C5-A9AA-C5CC20CFB33A.jpeg Now that my Boat has been put away,it is now time to Focus on Steelheading again on the Lake Huron River’s.I managed to catch just one Steelhead,(but no complaints from me),just due to the fact that it was just great to be walking a river again,and Enjoying the surroundings.The River was low and clear,which I knew ahead of time,which made the Fishing for Steelheads a little tougher.But,the weather was just too perfect to pass up,to not to Enjoy a day of Steelheading.There are still many week’s left of Steelheading,and the Fishing will only get Better!! Tight Lines,& Steelheads ON!! :)(y)

nice hen there @Red Hering ...looks like a decent drift in the background...ya one of my favourites on the maitland...ya I wont say where...lol

I just put my fishin waders on today..and they dont seem to fit like they use to..lol...ya wont be driftin ..going to kill some ducks on friday..

nothin like drawin blood with the smell of gunpowder...let the feathers fly...

its very tempting to head up driftin after todays rain...not impressed with hurons toxins in the chrome..a 2 fish limit is still too much for me...

Nice catch there Eric!! Wow that spot on the river looks like De javou from a few weeks back? Definitely hit the perfect conditions for an awesome run on chrome!!!! Congrats & keep up the Gr8 work⚓

nice hen there @Red Hering ...looks like a decent drift in the background...ya one of my favourites on the maitland...ya I wont say where...lol

I just put my fishin waders on today..and they dont seem to fit like they use to..lol...ya wont be driftin ..going to kill some ducks on friday..

nothin like drawin blood with the smell of gunpowder...let the feathers fly...

its very tempting to head up driftin after todays rain...not impressed with hurons toxins in the chrome..a 2 fish limit is still too much for me...
@mick,the Steelhead was a young Buck which surprised me also after cleaning it.It had a small Kype on its lower jaw,and you really had to look for it.I was wondering though about Hurons Toxins that you mentioned.Are you referring to the run off from the Pig Farms along the Maitland & the Bayfield River’s? Either way,I don’t eat a lot of Fish,& everything in Moderation.Hopefully you will get out to fish,& Steelheads ON!! (y)

28B63730-F4F5-4B29-A605-4D10A7E3446A.jpeg
Nice catch there Eric!! Wow that spot on the river looks like De javou from a few weeks back? Definitely hit the perfect conditions for an awesome run on chrome!!!! Congrats & keep up the Gr8 work⚓
Thanks for the compliment @duck blind,(Paul),and as you know with Fishing,everything is about “Timing,” especially on River’s,waiting for the perfect River condition,wether it’s the water Temperature,Clarity,etc.The Fishing should be Excellent after they drop down again from our previous rain that we had.Hoping to see you on the River Brother,and it has been a long time since I have seen you,since my Retirement.For now,Tight Lines,& Steelheads ON!! (y)

Don't want to burst your bubble Erich but fishing has been pretty tough despite some relatively good water conditions this year! No big numbers or big pushes of fish....you really gotta work for them! We had a good blowout followed by great water about 2wks ago and generally speaking the fishing was spotty.....the experienced guys will always find some fish but banner days have been pretty well non existent.

Were at the bottom of a low numbers cycle right now. We need another good year class or two!

Josh

36AD9D2B-98AA-4175-A41D-D7776CCCD652.jpeg
Don't want to burst your bubble Erich but fishing has been pretty tough despite some relatively good water conditions this year! No big numbers or big pushes of fish....you really gotta work for them! We had a good blowout followed by great water about 2wks ago and generally speaking the fishing was spotty.....the experienced guys will always find some fish but banner days have been pretty well non existent.

Were at the bottom of a low numbers cycle right now. We need another good year class or two!

Josh
Thanks @Josh Roelofsen,and I totally agree on what you are saying.There is a lot more pressure on the River’s now with newer Tackle and of course the Internet to share Fishing spot’s and Techniques,that sometimes I think that a Fish doesn’t even have a chance anymore.Back in the day’s before all of this Technology came out,a Angler like myself and others,spend many days on a River or Lake Fishing,and learning by experimenting and putting the hours on the water.The river’s are Flying High right now,and once they become “Prime” again for Steelheads,there should be some Good Fishing ahead.Here’s Hoping,Tight Lines,& STEELHEADS ON!! (y)

Josh
No sure which rivers your fishing. But i personally feel this year has been excellent to say the least. After each decent rain we have put up some great numbers on both Huron and Gbay tribs. Many double digit days.

The only river I can't stand fishing is the Saugeen below Denny's....I've been a hardcore river rat for decades and it's a pretty universal realization among the experienced guys I know/fish with that we are seeing low returns the past few years. Guess we have different ideas of what constitutes 'excellent' fishing. I didn't say I haven't been into fish, just lower numbers than in the past.

It's all relative tho, I'd prefer to work my ass off for 10 or 12 hookups in solitude than combat fish for big numbers :D Most of the enjoyment is in the peace and quiet for me...

Josh

Last edited:
no reason to travel that far for good steelhead numbers and almost zero fishermen...give heart attack hill a try up 2 on the bayfield..we forget varna...and the maitland is so lax for fishermen...port albert is another story...we only fished it week days...and to many guys...find your own honey hole..thers lots

jus wondered if the kincardine club are still puttin browns in..like nine mile...we caught some beautys.. and to swim another day..

alota browns put in southern Georgian bay last few years...not sure what club on that one...

Last edited:
I agree with most of what you say. I havnt fished below Denny's in years. I agree with the whole peace of quiet thing. Which is why I fish weekdays or in the winter mostly. The lower end was great for us from mid October on. With many high number days. Other gbay tribs have also been great. Even last week b4 the blowout. Its always about the charts for us and picking your days. Should be good this week.

Lol @mick! Things have changed!!! The Bayfield is a complete shit show and the Maitland has been overrun with with guys learning how to spey fish....places like the upper bighead where I would rarely see another soul can now see up to 15 or more boats floating through in a morning. Things are ALOT different than just a few years ago. No one wanted to believe that the internet could have such an effect on small tribs.....well, guess what!? WRONG!!!! There's still solitude available for those that are willing to put in the effort but it's not in the traditional spots.

Yup, the LHFC still dumps browns in, but they are concentrated around Kincardine. They are a rarity on the Mait and Nine nowadays. The Sarnia club also plants alot of Browns and those have been showing up along the shoreline in the spring, sometimes in very good numbers;) Those Georgian Bay Browns are growing exceptionally fast and I've seen a few monsters show up on those tribs. Definitely not targetble numbers but a nice, occasional surprise while steelheading.

Josh

not suprised Josh to many...most think the internet has made it easy street..maybe a little.....what it really is...is just to many fishermen that just figured it out..old cronzey use to say to many people period..put a knot in it...lol...your right forget the traditional spots..to many spider webs for us..varna bridge on a weekend had up to a dozen vehicles...it was just a driveby up to the maitland...the tressal and golf course had lots of room for fresh fish..after that we usually went up a couple....its a big river..or we would backtract from ninemile and fish the maitland...on another note..the whirlpool offered good steelhead fishin...I caught my biggest there and fished it lots over the years...what i regret is not fishin queenston steelhead from the boat...absoulutely big numbers back then...I watched with my own eyes...and jordan harbour and dalhousie offered good browns ...and that pot of gold...

ya I watched the southern georgian bay brown trout stocking program on the 6 pm news back in the spring during A fishing derby.....there were lots of browns caught and one winning the derby..how times change..

Last edited:
The issue with Bayfield is the fact it's been talked up so much on Facebook lately. Doesn't help that it's the closest Huron trib to London either, first stop for most guys. A dozen cars at Varna is nothing! 12-15 is a normal weekday with poor conditions! I've seen 30+ on weekends.....and theres another 15 at both bannockburn line and Peck's......and atleast 15 more carloads fishing from 21 through rainbow valley.....that river, with it's minimal spawning habitat can't handle that kind of pressure :(

Josh

Blow hearts mick !!! Toot there horn ..and this is what u get back .. when u have fished these rivers for almost 3 decades and u puke out info .. well it’s too late .. lol frig man

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks