Missing Fishermen Port Burwell

One thing I always try and do, and I haven't heard anyone else mention this so far. After arriving at the fishing grounds and I start to setup rods to fish, I take a screen shot of my Navionics and send it to my wife. That way if something happens I figure at least they have a starting point on the lake if something goes wrong.

One thing I always try and do, and I haven't heard anyone else mention this so far. After arriving at the fishing grounds and I start to setup rods to fish, I take a screen shot of my Navionics and send it to my wife. That way if something happens I figure at least they have a starting point on the lake if something goes wrong.
Yup I sent her my location when I leave the house and it shows her where on the lake I’m at .

3 things that I mentioned before that are easy and really do offer a solution to so many of the tragedies that we see every summer.

A self inflating PFD. Easy to wear all of the time. Mine goes on when I get in the boat, stays on till I exit.
1660831444380.png

Sailing tether. Mine is 10'. I wear it when its anything past flat...should have it on all the time when solo.
1660831074771.png

This might be my next purchase...an EPIRB. This is a complete kit...$599 Can

1660831232951.png

Or...a smaller version that does basically the same job..easier to carry on your person...$429 Can

1660832475265.png

We spend these ammts on new lures, rods/reels, etc. Once bout, good for life.

3 things that I mentioned before that are easy and really do offer a solution to so many of the tragedies that we see every summer.

A self inflating PFD. Easy to wear all of the time. Mine goes on when I get in the boat, stays on till I exit.
View attachment 63595

Sailing tether. Mine is 10'. I wear it when its anything past flat...should have it on all the time when solo.
View attachment 63593

This might be my next purchase...an EPIRB. This is a complete kit...$599 Can

View attachment 63594

Or...a smaller version that does basically the same job..easier to carry on your person...$429 Can

View attachment 63596

That last unit you posted where would you find something like that?

View attachment 63596

Just and FYI for anyone interested, The PLBs are technically not good for life. There is no way to charge standard PLB devices. ACR used to have a 10 year battery installed in them. I believe they've recently changed it to 8 years? Not sure if they've actually changed the batteries or some other reason, but... After the period has expired, they must be sent back to ACR for a battery replacement which costs around $200 last I checked. The Satellite messaging devices are rechargeable, but require an active, monthly subscription in order for the SOS function to work. I've looked into a ton of different units and plans before I got mine. If anyone wants more info, pro's/cons, etc, I can share

Just and FYI for anyone interested, The PLBs are technically not good for life. There is no way to charge standard PLB devices. ACR used to have a 10 year battery installed in them. I believe they've recently changed it to 8 years? Not sure if they've actually changed the batteries or some other reason, but... After the period has expired, they must be sent back to ACR for a battery replacement which costs around $200 last I checked. The Satellite messaging devices are rechargeable, but require an active, monthly subscription in order for the SOS function to work. I've looked into a ton of different units and plans before I got mine. If anyone wants more info, pro's/cons, etc, I can share
Please share.

Sounds good but just text her your what3words.You can do it right from the app.

A milk jug for the bagged milk is good to pee in because it has a handle and you can hold it in rough water
A buddy of mine used a bleach bottle with the bottom cut off. Doubles as a bailing bucket. I just use the orange safety kit minus the lid and contents. Always have. Sure beats trying to balance. Plus it’s less conspicuous.

Sounds good but just text her your what3words.You can do it right from the app.
I had that app, great idea and very practical. I never used it, Navionics on the other hand, I use every outing. No matter what app, the approach is the same. Perhaps it saves your ass, maybe it doesn't. Worth the effort ether way.

Just remember, when you have no cell service, which is a regular occurrence out of Burwell, none of those apps will work. 🌻

Just remember, when you have no cell service, which is a regular occurrence out of Burwell, none of those apps will work. 🌻
Not completely true you can still get your what3words location and say it over the radio. Easier than reading gps coordinates. All emergency services and coast guard are set up to respond to a call for help to a w3w location too.

I had that app, great idea and very practical. I never used it, Navionics on the other hand, I use every outing. No matter what app, the approach is the same. Perhaps it saves your ass, maybe it doesn't. Worth the effort ether way.
I find it super helpful for finding friends on the water.

Please see PM

Not completely true you can still get your what3words location and say it over the radio. Easier than reading gps coordinates. All emergency services and coast guard are set up to respond to a call for help to a w3w location too.

Jury is still out.

Tried to load the app out in 64ft and it wouldn't load. It did load at a shallower depth coming back in.

I'll try it again when it isn't nearly so rough. 🌻

What3words is a great app..... when it works.
Please keep in mind that it is just another tool, and can be incorrect.
It uses your phones gps signal and is only as accurate as your phones gps is in your particular area.
Just a word of caution as some seem to think it is bullet proof.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks