Missing Fishermen Port Burwell

@Red Hering... I deleted the comment, I wasn't thinking it just dawned on me this thread wasn't the appropriate place for it. :sorry::shame:
Good point @Wave Runner and I should of realize that myself as well!! 😉👍 I thought that you would be out fishing today,such as myself, but unfortunately for me,my truck was repaired late this morning & too late for my liking at least,to going walleye fishing today. I will wait till through next week. Tight lines my friend,and Fish ON!! 🚤🎣🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟👍🙂

I take a leak in an empty Gatorade bottle and pour it out, rinse it then cap back on and in the shelf.

Such a sad ending for his family hoping for better news to come from any one of us out there looking and hoping to find him.

Such a sad ending for his family hoping for better news to come from any one of us out there looking and hoping to find him.
Heartbreaking. Condolences to family and friends

That's so sad for his family, I hope they are able to recover from this tragedy.

Very sad for everyone involved. My condolences to anyone here who knew him.

Wearing either a wired or wireless tether kill switch is the single most important piece of safety gear while out solo. Far too many people are lost on the great lakes, most of which are 100% preventable. So very sad.

My condolences to the family and friends affected by this tragedy. I hope the discussions and advice passed on between members resonates through the group. The best practices shared will hopefully help fishermen add to their routines. Safe boating and go slam them.

If you fish big water you should have this above anything else. No monthly fee and it costs less than what it does to fill my boat and truck.
It's definitely something to consider. I've already got an inreach device which does have mostly fees, but I've already got it for backcountry camping and it's always active from May to November anyways. Definitely a last resort, but any SOS activation goes to SAR services. A vhf radio is arguably more versatile, but requires a license. The PLBs are easier to get and use and I would recommend it as a minimum piece of safety kit on big water.

Look at this thread. We all offered in one way or another our sincerest hope that the outcome would be happy and we have offered our deepest heartfelt condolences to the family and friends when that wasn't to happen.

On Saturday morning while sitting on the pier, and well after the parade of boats going out fishing had done so, I watched the OPP boat that had brought Mr. Glaves in Friday night (according to a friend who camps at NEM) come up the channel as they were leaving.

Many of us were not or are not directly involved, yet we're discussing it at length. We're discussing what could have been done to prevent this from happening. We're discussing how we relieve ourselves while out on the lake. We're discussing whether he did or did not have a PFD on. We're discussing tethers and kill switches. We're discussing the weather and how we KNOW how quickly Lake Erie can go from glass flat, to 6-8 ft swells, and we're discussing the pro's vs cons of going out alone. We're discussing the same things we discuss every time something like this happens, and we're pretty much saying the same things we always say, yet Saturday morning as I watched that parade of boats going out of Pt Bruce, I lost count of how many were going out solo. I can only imagine how many others out of the other ports went out solo Saturday, the lake was after-all glass flat Saturday morning.

Unlike the many other times an OPP boat comes alongside the pier, this time, there were no smiles and there was no waving to the few people who waved at them as they were leaving. They stared straight ahead, and they looked beaten, not from physical exhaustion, but due to the outcome of what they had experienced over the previous 3 days. I felt as bad for them as I do the family and friends of Mr. Glaves.

These tragic incidents take a mental toll on everyone directly involved. They also have a mental impact on those who aren't. They make us think, "What would I do or what would I have done differently?" They make us re-evaluate our positions on going solo. They make us check our safety gear a little closer, and take a closer look at how we individually account for our own personal safety and well-being. (yes even me who doesn't own a boat does these things because I do go out with others.) This thread is proof that we do these things.

The question isn't "what would I do or what would I have done differently," the question is, what have we learned, and will we use that knowledge in the future so that these tragic incidents no longer take place and those who have tragically passed doing what they loved to do whether on Lake Erie, or any of the other bodies of water this province has to offer, did not do so in vain?

anytime I try to go alone I get the third degree about it... now its not even a discussion.
My work schedule is suppose to be changing and my days off is suppose to be changing to a Sunday Monday, so next season I will likely have a lot more open seats posts... next year! since Mondays I won't have anyone to go out with!

anytime I try to go alone I get the third degree about it... now its not even a discussion.
My work schedule is suppose to be changing and my days off is suppose to be changing to a Sunday Monday, so next season I will likely have a lot more open seats posts... next year! since Mondays I won't have anyone to go out with!
As I said in another thread, I have already been TOLD, and no it was not a suggestion, I was TOLD..........if I ever do get my own boat, under NO circumstances am I EVER to go out solo. "If you can't find someone to go out with you, then you can go park your ass on the pier!!! This is NOT open for further discussion.!!!!"

If you ever need a body to fill a seat, send me a PM. IF I don't have other commitments, (you know the honey do list I may or may not be able to put off) and I can afford to throw some gas $ your way, I'll go out with ya.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks