Fishing Report Lpbaa/Erie Bassmasters pike derby live may 14

Sorry, we were fishless after couple of hours, so @Three Bouys had to give me a slap upside the head and sternly said "focus Stomp", so it was all fishing after that😁

We had trolled most of our usual Outer Bay haunts, and some new ones, and had only 1 nice smallmouth to show for our efforts. It was then that we decided if we can't beat the casters, it was time to join them. We've never had much success in past spring pike derbies. Switching to casting turned out to be a good call this year! We found some warm water and the pike were there and active for the brief time we had to pitch at them. My first cast... pike on, and maybe one that we weighed... not sure. We eventually had 4 swimming in the live well with 3 runners-up and one champ. The big one was bleeding but lived to make it to the weigh-in. I hooked that big one close to the boat while sight fishing and I wasn't sure @Three Bouys was going to help me land it, as he had 2 good ones chasing his bait on the other side at the same time. Eventually, he came to my aid and we thought we might have half of a winning combo. We tried hard for a matching lunker, saw lots and were bitten off a couple of times (we weren't really prepped for casting), but we couldn't grab another wallhanger. Turns out we did ok, finishing in second place and bringing home the big fish prize too. Maybe we should get off our asses and cast more often!

6A208079-806F-45A0-802C-7E1E5929DB10.jpeg

8900A05D-CAA5-4EB8-8AD7-32BAE9042351.jpeg

5DC54353-710E-4175-80C4-A859333A3212.jpeg

It’s fun casting! Love getting hit when casting top water

@stomp it is a lot of work lol
Much more efficient for your energy level and joints letting the boat do the work 👍
And keeps your hands free to bust out some air guitar 🎸

You saved our day @stomp Maybe that silly slap worked😂. We now can say that the Spring tourny puts us in the winning circle for which we’ve never won anything.
As for the LPBBA tightening up on the rules against us for using 2 rods per person to 1 rod, we can still do it.
I personally hate casting but once we got into them it was non stop action on almost every cast. We had many hits and lots of followers right to the boat.
I went out Friday to do some pre tourny pike fishing with out any success. The fish just weren’t there. Saturday morning I mentioned that we needed to fish shallower waters and tried different areas that only produce 1 big smallie
Time was ticking and still had nothing to show for until we decided to take the Wellcraft into new waters it has never been and it was a good decision.
Thanks again to @Dotcom and @spilliard1 and the LPBBA for another great tournament. You couldn’t have asked for a better day weather wise and a great turnout of anglers.
We will see you again this fall.

You're right @Three Bouys to call out the organizers, the LPBAA, Erie Bassmasters and hosts Sandboy Marina and kudos to @Dotcom , @spilliard1 , @JayB and other organizing 6-8 members I missed. They had things running like a well-oiled machine when we rolled up with tunes blasting 🤘for the weigh-in. Great to have these fun pike events, win or lose, and you couldn't have chosen a day with better weather conditions. I snapped a few photos and videos of the goings-on.

Attachments

• 4DD00CE2-079D-48CF-9342-E2BD373192F4.jpeg
    4DD00CE2-079D-48CF-9342-E2BD373192F4.jpeg
    314.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 6189B7A7-A099-4B14-AD7F-729A004E9E20.jpeg
    6189B7A7-A099-4B14-AD7F-729A004E9E20.jpeg
    340.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 03DDC818-C00D-444E-A704-8FD359BDEB23.jpeg
    03DDC818-C00D-444E-A704-8FD359BDEB23.jpeg
    286.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0375.MOV
    19.8 MB
  • IMG_0373.MOV
    23.9 MB
Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks