LP Lighthouse - July 20th

FisherPrice

Perhaps more than a report,..... I am looking for some direction on the first shakedown run of the year.

Rainbows were on fire today. 50,60,70,80 to 100 FOW. Spoons, RRF's, and worm harnesses all produced an abundance of silver US stocked rainbows. Most had clipped fins. The spread had 4,5,7 and 9 color lead. Two riggers at various depths. The riggers with a chartreuse RRF really seemed to grab the attention of the rainbows. Serval double headers with bows dancing across each other.

Certainly a great day battling all these fish.!

One lonely walleye for the day however. A couple other walleye lost before reaching the boat We were just hoping to get a few for the fryer.

What am I doing wrong this year? If a worm harness at 2.0 MPH and 30' down gets rainbows, perhaps there are just a pile of rainbows and limited walleye? Or I am in the wrong zone?

Attachments

• IMG_2068.jpg
    IMG_2068.jpg
    752.6 KB · Views: 122
I found that the rainbows were stacked at the point but the eyes were a bit west of the tip (on the south side)

Personally i dont think your doing anything wrong..just a shit load of rainbows on the area and on the feed. As fun as they are to catch they been a bit a pain in the ass lately, boated well over 50 of them so far this year. I stopped running spoons and any cranks that are known to catch rainbows just to try keep them off the lines. A buddy of mine was out there a few days ago and got into a school of eyes and he was fishing the same depth you stated..Maybe just another massive school of bows rolled and you landed on them perfectly. Lol.
Nicely done Just the same!

@FisherPrice , Days like that remind me of the Salmon boom days years ago. We used to have BOW problems keeping the lures in long enough for Salmon to hit. Bows popping the sliders right after rigger setup as they are settling into place. Great problem to have.

The North side of the point was called the "bowl". Currents swirl in there especially on days with steady strong West winds rolling down the lake. It offers fish a smorgasbord of feed. In the salmon boom it was common for a 20 fish limit in three to four hours on those days.

Try fighting a trout on the slider and a salmon on the bottom lure on the same pole. -- Tightest line ever 👍

Thanks for jogging the memories.

Yep! Like BayRunner16 said, it reminds us of the days when your dad was identified as FisherPrice and I was out myself or with Canvasback and others in the eighties and nineties. Some days limits of Bows and/or Coho were easy to come by. Congrats on reliving the past in 2022.

Oh yeah... the good old days at the light...
  • Duck Soup
  • Canvasback
  • Charlie Potatoes
  • Onions
  • The Crow
  • 6-49
  • Carwash
  • Tricky Dick
  • Basstub
  • Pikeman
  • RumRunner
  • Soggy1
  • Sheila B
  • Jigman
  • FisherPrice
Who am I forgetting?

@stomp , Badboy II usually beat us out there. Often slept on the boat at the point during the Salmon boom. Pikeman would run his riggers over the canned nets on slow days just for some action. -- Not recommended! But Good times.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Duck Soup
  • Canvasback
  • Charlie Potatoes
  • Onions
  • The Crow
  • 6-49
  • Carwash
  • Tricky Dick
  • Basstub
  • Pikeman
  • RumRunner
  • Soggy1
  • Sheila B
  • Jigman
  • FisherPrice
Who am I forgetting?
Hoover , Real Therapy, Seastar

@ Stomp, Bayrunner16 and Canvasback.

Some very memorable names in your lists.! This was back when a Loran C was the navigation method outside of a compass. I was knee high to a grass hopper in those days. But they are trips you never forget!

No GPS, no cell phone, no weather App...... but a paper graph fish finder was studied closely!.

Everyone out communicated on the VHF Channel 68 for the fishing. Fish at this depth, using this color at this speed......

Hold a minute... rod just went off.....! When the old Crow came back saying 7 in the box now, it always stirred some conversation on the radio!

Good memories!. My radio is still on 68 when I am out. Don't hesitate to say hello if your on the lake. I don't hear the chatter as much as years past.

@FisherPrice, For old times sake, " Double Header : Green on Green and Black on Rodium!" 2 in the box and just getting set up. -- Then BadboyII Replies Box is full were pulling out - Good luck fellas the day is young. (at 7am he was headed in).

I imagine most here don't even know about the dodger and fly Erie days.

And... yes the Si Tex paper burners! My job was to change those rolls as the youngest on board.
That and net fish. Beat chores.

@ Stomp, Bayrunner16 and Canvasback.

Some very memorable names in your lists.! This was back when a Loran C was the navigation method outside of a compass. I was knee high to a grass hopper in those days. But they are trips you never forget!

No GPS, no cell phone, no weather App...... but a paper graph fish finder was studied closely!.

Everyone out communicated on the VHF Channel 68 for the fishing. Fish at this depth, using this color at this speed......

Hold a minute... rod just went off.....! When the old Crow came back saying 7 in the box now, it always stirred some conversation on the radio!

Good memories!. My radio is still on 68 when I am out. Don't hesitate to say hello if your on the lake. I don't hear the chatter as much as years past.

@FisherPrice, For old times sake, " Double Header : Green on Green and Black on Rodium!" 2 in the box and just getting set up. -- Then BadboyII Replies Box is full were pulling out - Good luck fellas the day is young. (at 7am he was headed in).

And... yes the Si Tex paper burners! My job was to change those rolls as the youngest on board.
@FisherPrice those were the good old days. Back then I couldn’t afford a GPS and ran a Loran C also with a Lowrance paper graph. Sure went through a lot of paper
@BayRunner16 i use to always use the dodger fly combo. There used to be a tackle store at Andy’s Corner just north of Langton is where all my tackle was bought.

I was a young lad back then but I do remember the amazing fishing. So far this year it is quite similar to back then except for the odd walleye now.

Back then I ran an 76 Sea Ray run about with a 6 cyl in-line and filled that boat with a lot of coho. Then I up graded to a new 1986 Thundercraft Magnum 190 with a 4.3 litre with the new cobra out drive.
Now that was a huge upgrade and trailer it a few times to Burwell for some walleye. Still running Loran C and the Lowrance paper graph and was filling the boat with walleye. Then we used the only and faithful Erie Dearys tipped with a worm and god only knows how much line we put out flatlining. Back then it was simple and not like today fishing.

I still have all my dodger’s and johns flys Sure was fun.

• Duck Soup
  • Canvasback
  • Charlie Potatoes
  • Onions
  • The Crow
  • 6-49
  • Carwash
  • Tricky Dick
  • Basstub
  • Pikeman
  • RumRunner
  • Soggy1
  • Sheila B
  • Jigman
  • FisherPrice
Who am I forgetting?
Honey B, Chuck Wagon, 4B's, Rob Mar, Mud Hen, Mud Cat, Patty G, Cow Patty, Osprey, Young One, Blue Heron, Rain Dancer, No Oakes, Lakeside Charters, Oar Master, Caviar, TNT, The Lawyer

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks