ling

saltybigstick

anyone know if they spawn on the Sholes at nanacoke looking to try to catch a couple or anywhere else one might find some

I lived in Owen Sound for 10 years and caught many Ling, also known as Freshwater Cod and other Names. Owen Sound Bay is loaded with them. I caught them through the Ice and in open water while Jig Fishing Spawn anchored using Chum and fishing on bottom as they are bottom feeders. I have seen the Salmon trollers pick them also.

Though most fishermen wouldn't touch them let alone eat them they don't realize how tasty Ling are. As there was very little meat on the rib cage all I did was fillet each side starting at the rib cage down to the tail then skin each piece. They call them Freshwater Cod for a reason and some think the meat tastes like Lobster. Great Pan Fried.

If you get a chance try them, and then you will know what I am talking about.

Ling or Burbot do exist in Lake Erie and I've caught a few trying to catch bottom feeders off the sandbar near the Long Point lighthouse. I had Walleye or Lake Trout in mind but the fish we were marking on the fish-finder turned out to be Ling or Burbot. I've tried eating them when fishing in Saskatchewan but decided that Walleye and Pike were superior and also more abundant. As "Get Hooked" indicated there is not a whole lot of meat on a fillet.

This is going back a few years... When I used to fish the perch derby in Dover I'd catch them the hour before daylight in the main chanel 100 yds from the mouth...

Also, when I lived in Owen Sound for 10years a friend of mine who ran a Charterboat out of Southampton invited me down for a Whitefish Liver Fry. As I had never heard of them I accepted his invitation and headed down to his house. We loaded a few Cement Blocks, a Rack. firewood and the women brought Salads and Cold Drinks and Cooking Supplies. We went down to the Southampton Marina and set up the Blocks, firewood and Rack for the fire. My friend proceeded with coating the Livers with seasoned flour and then sizzled them in the Cast Iron Pan until golden brown. I was first skeptical of trying them but I soon found out what I was missing out on.

From then on I started saving my Whitefish Livers from Owen Sound Bay. At that time there was a generous limit of 25. I found that the larger Whitefish had a stronger taste then the smaller ones. If you ever get a chance to get hold of sum Livers and give them a try. You won't be disappointed.

I'll have to try down in Dover this year... I've bin craving some sense my last sask fishing adventure. Didn't know the Erie held them. And plenty of meat on a 4-5 pounder and that's just a little one!

Back