Lake Erie possession limit now 100 for perch

Waterboy

Just read this in the ontario out of doors mag their 2015 fishing annual First I heard of it I guess I'm behind the times.

Well, I hate to start an argument but the possession limit was just changed to 100 in 2015. Here's the links to the pages for 2014 & 2015 zone 19 Limits:

2014:
http://files.ontario.ca/environment-and-energy/fishing/mnr_e001338.pdf

2015:
http://files.ontario.ca/environment-and-energy/fishing/2015 English Fishing Regs Zone_19.pdf

The possession limit has been 100 for Lake Simcoe for years and may have been 100 on Erie at some point but if it was, it was many many moons ago.
I think you just stopped an argument .

I was the guy representing the LPBAA at a meeting in London, Ontario many years ago when the 50 fish perch limit was established for most of Lake Erie. As G. Mech and mooner posted, it was both the daily and possession limit. If I remember correctly there was no limit on perch prior the agreement on 50. The LPBAA supported the proposed regulation. A few members were not in agreement but the majority thought 50 was reasonable. Lake fishery managers were trying to do a better job of managing the perch resource and Ontario anglers were expected to participate.

It is interesting that different water body's allow different possession limits. I will follow the rules in place but honestly, how would a MNR official know where the fish were caught. It just seems like an unenforceable rule to be able to keep 50 from one lake yet hold 100 if they come from another.

It is interesting that different water body's allow different possession limits. I will follow the rules in place but honestly, how would a MNR official know where the fish were caught. It just seems like an unenforceable rule to be able to keep 50 from one lake yet hold 100 if they come from another.
And that is why we have a court of law to determine guilt. Remember if you are charged with an offense, it is simply a agent of the government accusing you of a misdeed, they have to prove the offense, and a Judge, or jury, have to determine the validity of the charge. That is why when you are being charged, save your arguments for court and stay silent. It really is your best defence. You will never talk your way out of a charge, but you certainly can talk your way into a charge.

Looks like some will be going out and buying bigger freezers.
100 from that lake and 100 from this lake and so on.
I wonder in the regs they know what they write.
I guess this goes for all species.
I'd like to be sitting in court listening in on someone with 500 Perch in his freezer and hearing his story.
Thanks G. Mech, I hope they have enough regs to go around and every one has a PC and reads this on Channel 68:LOL:
I always say you never stop learning no mater how old you are. Wonder what change they will make next week.:eek::D

Looks like some will be going out and buying bigger freezers.
100 from that lake and 100 from this lake and so on.
I wonder in the regs they know what they write.
I guess this goes for all species.
I'd like to be sitting in court listening in on someone with 500 Perch in his freezer and hearing his story.
Thanks G. Mech, I hope they have enough regs to go around and every one has a PC and reads this on Channel 68:LOL:
I always say you never stop learning no mater how old you are. Wonder what change they will make next week.:eek::D

I'm not sure it's that big a deal. They changed from 50P to 100P in Zone 19 to encourage people to travel from out of the area to fish and it matches the Lake Simcoe limits. It DOES NOT mean you can keep your possession limit from each lake you fish and total them all up. If you have 101 perch in your possession you're over your limit regardless of where you caught them.

The problem with the limits remains that with different limits in different zones (or even on different water bodies within a zone) how does anyone prove how many of what size fish were caught where? I fish for walleye with my family in Zone 11 (4 fish limit with one slot size), Nipissing (2 fish limit with different slot size) and Lake Erie (6 fish limit with no slot size). I have no clue which ones came from where when I open the freezer so I don't know how a CO would either (short of DNA testing) but I highly doubt that situation would ever crop up anyway.

Last edited:
I know what your saying G. Mech, but some wouldn't or play with ignorance.
The regs sometimes can confuse people even judges.
It's been said before, you almost have to be a lawyer to figure out the regs and even they would shake their heads.
I feel sorry for the guy that takes his grand kid fishing maybe once and doesn't have a clue.
Then we think we know everything:)

I was the guy representing the LPBAA at a meeting in London, Ontario many years ago when the 50 fish perch limit was established for most of Lake Erie. As G. Mech and mooner posted, it was both the daily and possession limit. If I remember correctly there was no limit on perch prior the agreement on 50. The LPBAA supported the proposed regulation. A few members were not in agreement but the majority thought 50 was reasonable. Lake fishery managers were trying to do a better job of managing the perch resource and Ontario anglers were expected to participate.

Any idea what year that would have been Arnie? I recall ice fishing the bay as a kid and there didn't seem to be any limits then....or any trouble finding perch for that matter.

Last edited:
Back