Off Topic Icemaker ( my Dad)

Cap'nkirk

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Unforunate news I received 2 1/2 weeks at work, my Dad was being rushed to the hospital. My mother says he rushed in the house saying he had to poop, she says she chuckled at him shuffling passed her to get to the bathroom. She found him a bit later slumped over against the shower stall door. She called 911 and he was rushed to University Hospital in London and they told us the news he suffered a massive stroke on the left side of the brain. This side affects speech, thought process and right side movement. He had feeling on his side so were hopeful he may regain some movement of his right leg and arm.My wife had a massive right side stroke 5 years ago at 52 and recovered all her movement, memory and thoughts were affected some so we were slightly hopeful he may regain some movement but given his age. They took him for Physio but he is not progressing. Icemaker will unfortunately be going to a nursing home to live out the rest of his days. My 89 year old Dad whom I have been fishing all over with since I was a young boy won't be physically fishing with me again.A man so vibrant on Fathers Day when I was with him, pissed off at the weather because we couldn't get out for some walleye or perch, to have this strike him down two days later. I know a few you may know my dad to others just known as Icemaker. He always enjoyed reading this page that is for sure. I did a solo trip last weekend as I needed the time to myself, I did get 4 walleye. He was happy when I told him. It was hard looking at that empty seat where my Dad sat with me for hours and hours of fishing. He will be missed, not just on the boat.IMG_0159.JPG

Sorry to hear about your dad memories go a long ways can go sit with him and reminnice about the good times my dad did not fish but we lost him 2 years ago goin and still spending time with him is the main thing will help both of yous best to you and your family

Unforunate news I received 2 1/2 weeks at work, my Dad was being rushed to the hospital. My mother says he rushed in the house saying he had to poop, she says she chuckled at him shuffling passed her to get to the bathroom. She found him a bit later slumped over against the shower stall door. She called 911 and he was rushed to University Hospital in London and they told us the news he suffered a massive stroke on the left side of the brain. This side affects speech, thought process and right side movement. He had feeling on his side so were hopeful he may regain some movement of his right leg and arm.My wife had a massive right side stroke 5 years ago at 52 and recovered all her movement, memory and thoughts were affected some so we were slightly hopeful he may regain some movement but given his age. They took him for Physio but he is not progressing. Icemaker will unfortunately be going to a nursing home to live out the rest of his days. My 89 year old Dad whom I have been fishing all over with since I was a young boy won't be physically fishing with me again.A man so vibrant on Fathers Day when I was with him, pissed off at the weather because we couldn't get out for some walleye or perch, to have this strike him down two days later. I know a few you may know my dad to others just known as Icemaker. He always enjoyed reading this page that is for sure. I did a solo trip last weekend as I needed the time to myself, I did get 4 walleye. He was happy when I told him. It was hard looking at that empty seat where my Dad sat with me for hours and hours of fishing. He will be missed, not just on the boat.View attachment 15535
All the best my friend. I can’t imagen not having my dad around
Unforunate news I received 2 1/2 weeks at work, my Dad was being rushed to the hospital. My mother says he rushed in the house saying he had to poop, she says she chuckled at him shuffling passed her to get to the bathroom. She found him a bit later slumped over against the shower stall door. She called 911 and he was rushed to University Hospital in London and they told us the news he suffered a massive stroke on the left side of the brain. This side affects speech, thought process and right side movement. He had feeling on his side so were hopeful he may regain some movement of his right leg and arm.My wife had a massive right side stroke 5 years ago at 52 and recovered all her movement, memory and thoughts were affected some so we were slightly hopeful he may regain some movement but given his age. They took him for Physio but he is not progressing. Icemaker will unfortunately be going to a nursing home to live out the rest of his days. My 89 year old Dad whom I have been fishing all over with since I was a young boy won't be physically fishing with me again.A man so vibrant on Fathers Day when I was with him, pissed off at the weather because we couldn't get out for some walleye or perch, to have this strike him down two days later. I know a few you may know my dad to others just known as Icemaker. He always enjoyed reading this page that is for sure. I did a solo trip last weekend as I needed the time to myself, I did get 4 walleye. He was happy when I told him. It was hard looking at that empty seat where my Dad sat with me for hours and hours of fishing. He will be missed, not just on the boat.View attachment 15535

Sorry to hear about your dad. While it's important to cherish the memories you have, don't overlook making new ones with him under the new circumstances. You'll both need that.

"I did a solo trip last weekend as I needed the time to myself, I did get 4 walleye. He was happy when I told him." That is also a memory to cherish and perhaps his way of telling you, "it's ok."

So sorry to hear about your dad. Happy you have great memories with him.

Though I don't know your dad I know your pain. My dad also spent his last days in a nursing home but always enjoyed the battered deep fried walleye and smoked salmon I would bring him. Spending time reminiscing about our past northern Ontario fishing times together always cheered him up. It's more important than you know to spend as much time with him as you can. Wish you both nothing but the best. :)

ok so this is my first post, dont know your dad, my dad is 87..he is slowing down quite a bit..wish i could take him out still he dosnt want to go..i feel for you, and share the pain..spend time with him and keep the memories close..all the best..
Dew

It's more important than you know to spend as much time with him as you can.

That is so true. I have a large family, and from my own experiences I know that once a family member goes into either a nursing home, or hospice care, they remember who comes to see them, but more importantly, they remember who could, but doesn't, and that most definitely has an impact on both their mental and physical health. I'll share the most recent story where this happened in my family with you and hope it helps.

My grandmother was confined to a wheelchair in a nursing home for the last few years of her life (She passed Christmas Day 2015 at 94 yrs of age) I was told after her passing, and this broke my heart, that of everyone else in the family who could, being we all live within 2 hours of where she was, many of us within half an hour, she remembered and knew that aside from my parents who went to see her daily, it was my wife and I who went to see her the most, (which I did not know) and most times she was kicking us out as soon as we arrived, or the visit was 10-15 minutes at most. She apparently tried that with my parents as well, but where we thought we were respecting her wishes when she asked us to leave, they weren't letting her get away with it. My parents told me she was asking us to leave because she didn't want my memory of her to be of that of a "sick old lady confined to a wheelchair in a nursing home." (Yes, she was a proud woman.) and that isn't how I remember her. I remember her as the woman who gave me tomato soup, grilled cheese sandwiches, and vanilla ice cream with maraschino cherries, and with whom, along with my grandfather, I would spend two weeks (along with my sister) every summer at their campsite in Pt Bruce, where the house on stilts is right on the corner at the lights on the south side of the temporary bridge. THAT'S why I go to the pier in Pt Bruce all the time unless I've been invited out in a boat. To honor the memory of my grandparents.

BUT, from what my parents have told me, those visits, short as they were, meant the world to her and she beamed about them when she told my parents we'd been to see her, even though she almost always asked us to leave as soon as we got there. It wasn't how long the visits were that mattered to her, or what was discussed, it was that we'd made the effort, and I KNOW that you will do the same with your father and your visits will mean the world to both of you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Real sorry to hear that Kirk. Had a very similar experience with my own father. He never responded to rehab and spent the rest of his days in a wheelchair. Will miss the stories of you and Icemaker. Always nice to see a father and son living the dream. It's special and doesn't happen all that often. My own dad was not a fisherman and my son is also not so inclined. Maybe a grandson, have 6 of those, don't have any grand-daughters.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks