1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ice Drama from Last Week

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports' started by stomp, Jan 29, 2011.

1. stomp

stomp Administrator Staff Member

For those that may have missed it, below is a link to a T'burg news story about what can go wrong out on the Bay's ice. I recommend an old reliable compass in addition to all the electronics; they are idiot-proof, won't run out of batteries or freeze up on you. Stay safe out there!

Brave guys who did the search and rescue:

http://www.tillsonburgnews.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2949690

2. Big Dave

Big Dave Guest

Kudos to the guys!

BD

3. ship wrecked

ship wrecked Well-Known Member

Great post Stomp. Hats off t0 the guys

4. monty smith

monty smith Well-Known Member

THAT WAS A BRAVE RESCUE.MY HEART BEAT WENT UP ,WHEN I WAS READING ARTICLE. I CAN TELL YOU THAT I HAVE A SMALL ROUND COMPASS ATTACHED TO MY COAT THAT HAS GOT ME HOME MORE THAN ONCE.THAT WAY YOU DONT FORGET TO TAKE COMPASS. HOPE THIS HELPS.
    MONTY[:I]

5. ch312

ch312 Well-Known Member

two thumbs up to the guys that lead these fools back to shore.

i know it sounds harsh, but they should have left those idiots out there for the night to teach them a good lesson. i'm getting rather sick and tired reading about people putting rescuers at risk because they failed to do their homework or learn how to use their GPS.

4 adults and they still couldnt muster up enough brain power to figure out a GPS BEFORE heading out? heck, all you have to do is turn it on and scroll a few pages to see the compass. it doesn't take a very high IQ to figure out that it's time to leave when darkness is falling and a blizzard is rolling in, especially with no GPS, compass, or experience in the area.

morons...[V]

6. Rob V

Rob V Well-Known Member

Hats off to the fellas that helped out and prevented a tragedy. It's good to know there's people around who are prepared to help out when called upon.

Unfortunately people manage to get themselves in trouble by not being properly prepared or using some common sense. good thing there isn't law against being careless.

7. ch312

ch312 Well-Known Member

quote:
    Originally posted by Rob V

Unfortunately people manage to get themselves in trouble by not being properly prepared or using some common sense. good thing there isn't law against being careless.

well, if people had to start paying for the entire rescue operation from start to finish it would probably serve as a great wakeup call for everyone to smarten up. things like this can be avoided 99.99% of the time. the fact that there was 4 of them makes it even worse. maybe drugs and/or alcohol were involved? [:eek:)]

8. BASS-master-Gordon

BASS-master-Gordon Well-Known Member

hs, i am sixteen and i can properly work a compass, work a gps and find my way to shore. more and more society sickens and scares me,god save us.

fishing,for some a hobby, for most an addiction

9. BASS-master-Gordon

either theses folks are slow and need a caregiver or they were high and drunk out of their skulls. dont drink if you cant handle it, more importantly on a quad in the middle of a frozen bay in a snowstorm, do i hear a darwin award nomination,for sure.

10. fshrgrl

fshrgrl Well-Known Member

bassmaster gordon-and what were you doing out there in a blizzard a few saturday's ago? boys will be boys! your mother...

11. Walleye

Walleye Well-Known Member

Hi all.
    Stomp. Thank you for putting that link here so that we could find out what happened.
    I am somewhat saddened by the remarks being made on this thread with regard to the four people, yes people, that were lost and in peril.
    These people went fishing just like everyone else did that day. I don't know them and therefore cannot speak for them or what experience they may or may not have nor will I assume anything about drugs and/or alcohol.
    These people went Ice Fishing on Long Point Bay.
    These people got lost.
    These people realised that they were lost.
    These people did the right thing by calling someone for help.
    These people will be with their family and friends for a while longer.
    Other people got involved.
    Other people made a huge effort to help these people.
    Other people took risk to help these lost people.
    Other people care without judgement.
    There is a lesson to be learned by all of us. If we all prejudge those that make mistakes we will surely lose the ability to learn from those mistakes and they will continue to happen.
    I was there that evening as I have reported on another thread.
    We knew it was windy and we knew it that visibilty was going to be an issue. What we didn't know was how bad it would get and how fast it would get there.
    Someone mentioned that "they" should have been left on the Ice all night. I would suggest that the outcome of that would have included "body bags". A harsh price to pay for the event.
    I will reiterate my storey of that day.
    I am very experienced with this kind of event. I had two friends who are not as experienced as I. I fish til dark because I have always had good luck during the last hour of light. we knew things were bad but we had discussed what we would do.
    I sent my two friends into shore on my Skidoo. The thinking behind that decision was that they could and would get to shore pointed in the direction they were going. They did miss the Old Cut but they got there. I knew that coming back out to get whoever was left in the hut was not going to be an option as shore is big and my Hut is like a needle in a haystack in those conditions. I was prepared and ready to spend the night. Once my buds got to shore we talked on the cell phone and I asked them to stay there. I then called Jimmy and asked if he would come and get me as He has the experience and knowlege to find me in that weather. He did and all was well.

We did however make some mistakes which I will take credit for.
    I have always parked my skidoo pointing at the shoreline and specific spot I want to get to. I did that but then my bud went for a ride and he didn't do that. I then said I would do it later but didn't. I always point my ice auger in that direction to, however my bud drilled some new holes and I said I would do that later as well.

I will make two assumptions. The responses on this thread would have me and my two buds in body bags because I made some mistakes and should pay for those mistakes with not only my life but my two buds.
    Those respondents have never made a mistake in their endeavours.

I just recently was told a one liner from someone teaching me "error management"

" the last guy that was perfect had a terrible Easter Weekend".

Once again I must state that I am saddened that some think that people should die and families destroyed because a mistake was made.

I thank those that showed up to rescue those in peril and I am greatfull that they did.

I am happy that those four people will be with their families.

I have learned yet another lesson and will pass it on.

I will look in the mirror before I condemn those that make a mistake.

Thank you Stomp for this thread and your advice.

Cheers, Clark

12. addy27

addy27 Member

Good post Walleye. People are quick to forget that once upon a time they too had to learn the way.

13. stomp

stomp Administrator Staff Member

I'm sure all are glad at the happy outcome; the rescuers were truly heroic. I wouldn't have wanted to head out in those conditions.

I once, under similar conditions, was coming off Simcoe in an old Bombardier. The operator had GPS and thought he was heading at his own flashing beacon on land. Turned out we were pointed straight at the lights of a backhoe digging out an ice jam in the Beaver River. Fortunately, our "pilot" realized his mistake before it was too late. Once we made it ashore, he stopped the snow machine, turned to a somewhat relieved ice fishing party and said "Thanks for flying United":D.

14. Wavemaster

Wavemaster Member

Wow you guys are a tough crowd. Accidents and mistakes happen in life all the time. Hopefully the tough critics are never in that situation. Glad these events are posted for the lessons not the scoldings. Totally off topic but I think everyone should give Jimmy the taxi driver tips!:D

15. BASS-master-Gordon

tough crowd? one mistake by someone, a fun thing is washed down the tubes, seen it way to many times, all because of stupid people, smart ones lose out everywhere.

16. SOUTHWIND

SOUTHWIND Well-Known Member

Some 40-50 years ago I remember a line of small cedars or pines planted on the ice I think by the late Fred Howe or Lipsits. Those were the life saving beacons for many, long before GPS ever came along. I think they also marked out some gas leaks too with the pines when a natural gas line crossed the Bay. It's been gone for a number of years. Oh, and when someone's vehicle went kerplunk, the pines marked those locations too.

Kudos to the Grangers and Proppers and other Bay people who assisted on this one. Probably won't be the last one either.

DAVEEO

17. Mumph

Mumph Well-Known Member

Good post Walleye.That was a well thought out piece of writing based on reason.I doubt those people went out ice fishing looking to get into that type of predicament.Most experienced fishermen on here seem to know what to do because of previous (or other peoples)experiences.If alcohol or drugs were a factor I'm pretty sure the police would have picked up on it back at shore.Making knee jerk accusations based only on an opinion contributes nothing to the subject of this thread.Every year certain conditions come up out on the ice and someone gets lost and disoriented.These events should be seen as a reason for educating on the importance of learning how to navigate.We are not a perfect society and these things will happen again.Even on the soft water in the year to come.

18. scribe

scribe Well-Known Member

I have seen lines of trees used as markers on Lake St. Clair and thought it was a good idea. Maybe someone could find a tree farmer willing to loan some trees out? Or the county could use its discarded Christmas trees.

19. ch312

ch312 Well-Known Member

quote:
    Originally posted by Walleye

There is a lesson to be learned by all of us. If we all prejudge those that make mistakes we will surely lose the ability to learn from those mistakes and they will continue to happen.

Someone mentioned that "they" should have been left on the Ice all night. I would suggest that the outcome of that would have included "body bags". A harsh price to pay for the event.

the problem i have with this kind of crap is it's 2011 and crap like this is still happening. really, how many more people need to get lost before people will finally realize that a GPS, compass, and/or map will prevent this from happening?

the only thing i've learned from this is that there are still idiots out there that don't learn from other peoples mistakes. again, this was 99.99% avoidable and there are no excuses out there to make me think any different. this is just like people going through thin ice...it happens every year and people still don't smarten up. it seems like many people aren't capable of learning and the same "mistakes" happen year after year.

that was me that mentioned they should have spent the night on the ice and i stand by that. i highly doubt any body bags would have been involved if they spent the night on the ice. if so, it would be a result of another health issue.

learning how to use a map and compass should be mandatory for every hunter and fisherman...

20. quinner01

quinner01 Well-Known Member

quote:
    Originally posted by ch312

quote:
    Originally posted by Walleye

the problem i have with this kind of crap is it's 2011 and crap like this is still happening. really, how many more people need to get lost before people will finally realize that a GPS, compass, and/or map will prevent this from happening?

the only thing i've learned from this is that there are still idiots out there that don't learn from other peoples mistakes. again, this was 99.99% avoidable and there are no excuses out there to make me think any different. this is just like people going through thin ice...it happens every year and people still don't smarten up. it seems like many people aren't capable of learning and the same "mistakes" happen year after year.

that was me that mentioned they should have spent the night on the ice and i stand by that. i highly doubt any body bags would have been involved if they spent the night on the ice. if so, it would be a result of another health issue.

learning how to use a map and compass should be mandatory for every hunter and fisherman...

I agree with you Ch312...although I dont wish death on anyone, I will never venture out onto a frozen bay when a nasty storm is approaching. I have only ice fished a dozen times in the last couple ice fishing seasons, and have yet to have any close calls... Common sense, all it takes. Stay home when its nasty out, there is always another day.

[​IMG]

21. Caseys Dream

Caseys Dream Well-Known Member

Yikes, lots of 100% perfect people out there, at least hiding behind a keyboard.

I hope I NEVER, EVER have to ask any of you for a favor or help.

A possible scenario. Mr CH312 is sitting in his basement, typing away at his computer, on say a website like this, when he hears a screech outside and a crash. Some drunk driver just smashed smashed into a tree right in front of CH312's home on a snowy night. CH312 goes out, sees the drunken dude bleeding profusely, but makes a decision that a) he is drunk and knows better than to drive (he made a mistake), and that b) his bleeding is probably not life threating and that within a few hours his blood platelets may clot the gash and the drunken dude will probably survive. 50/50.

What does he do?

A) Call 911 to get the guy some help, risking life for ambulance driver to come out on a snowy night.
    B) Go back into his house cause the drunken dude needs to be taught a lesson. Oh, checks the tree to make sure it is OK.

hmmmmmmmm, what to do. The question is really hard, may need to think on that one.

FACK!!!!!

22. Jwalsh

Jwalsh Well-Known Member

Good call "Caseys Dreams"....it seems like CH312 and Bass-Master-Gordon have alot of harsh comments for these people...they act pretty tough from their computers...mistakes happen...no need to wish death on people because of it...I dont see how anyone is losing out because these people got lost....if anything we all learn once again that safety and being prepared should always come first out on the ice.

23. Caseys Dream

Caseys Dream Well-Known Member

I just read the article itself. It is a good thing that the people called were Darren Propper, Rex Easton and Jimmy Granger. You guys are the heros of 2011 and should get some kind of award. But men like this, the award is just doing the right thing, and feeling good about it. You guys are the kind of men that we all need to aspire to.

To the others on this board, who it seems if they had received the call from the OPP for help, and said...."N'ah, let them spend the night in the blizzard, it'll teach them a lesson"....Fack you!

Darwin Award? Is that funny? Sickening. Morons! Now we know who you are!

24. quinner01

quinner01 Well-Known Member

Yes, yes, regardless, bashing people on here should not be tolerated. Everyone has different opinions, and if you are going to personally attack a member on here why not keep it to yourself?

A couple of the last posters sure make themselves sound like great individuals...

And people who drink and drive are idiots. I wouldnt consider helping one ever. People make mistakes, but drinking and driving is no mistake....risking innocent lives...
    Enough said.

[​IMG]

25. SRT8

SRT8 Well-Known Member

HOLY winternet I don't see anyone "acting tough " hiding behind a keyboard jwalsh your comment makes no sence 2-3 guys have difering opinions than yourself so you acuse them of being internet tough guys? Caseys dream your comments are uncalled for and using a drunk driver as a example is dumb and anyone that gets behind the wheel of a car drunk is risking many good peoples lives, just like the people that got caught on the ice in a storm the guys that saved them all have family and freinds that would miss them dearly if they went through the ice and died. that is why people get upset when admitedly unexperienced people do things like this the storm wasn't a suprise they talked about it 2 days in advance. lets not drive stomp nuts this winter and keep the personal attacks to our selves.
    this site rarely needs moderation lets keep it that way

It is a good thing the OPP called the guys they did who selflessly sprang into action to save these people who should have never been out there in the first place cudos to the guys who lead the rescue effort they are definately heros.

[​IMG]
    I would like to thank Denali custom rods and The Rod Glove for their support

26. Stick

Stick Well-Known Member

Wow. And I thought I was getting miserable because of fishing withdrawl.

Stick

[​IMG]

27. ch312

ch312 Well-Known Member

wow...somehow this got twisted into me wishing death upon someone? if you're healthy enough to be out ice fishing, you're plenty healthy enough to survive a single night alone on the ice. with 4 people it'd be a walk in the park and probably a good time once everyone relaxed.

suggesting that i wish death upon any of these people is ridiculous and uncalled for. the internet tough guy comments actually made me "LOL". you're totally wrong, but thanks for the laugh :D

btw...i'd be one of the first people to help anyone that actually needs help. for these people that were lost on the ice, it would just be an inconvenience for them to spend the night on the ice. ;)

28. fshrgrl

this would,nt happen to a woman...we use common sense:D

29. fshrgrl

PS give the kid a break he's only 16 at least he's on here and not out doing drugs!!!!!

30. BASS-master-Gordon

quote:
    Originally posted by Caseys Dream

Yikes, lots of 100% perfect people out there, at least hiding behind a keyboard.

I hope I NEVER, EVER have to ask any of you for a favor or help.

A possible scenario. Mr CH312 is sitting in his basement, typing away at his computer, on say a website like this, when he hears a screech outside and a crash. Some drunk driver just smashed smashed into a tree right in front of CH312's home on a snowy night. CH312 goes out, sees the drunken dude bleeding profusely, but makes a decision that a) he is drunk and knows better than to drive (he made a mistake), and that b) his bleeding is probably not life threating and that within a few hours his blood platelets may clot the gash and the drunken dude will probably survive. 50/50.

What does he do?

A) Call 911 to get the guy some help, risking life for ambulance driver to come out on a snowy night.
    B) Go back into his house cause the drunken dude needs to be taught a lesson. Oh, checks the tree to make sure it is OK.

hmmmmmmmm, what to do. The question is really hard, may need to think on that one.

FACK!!!!!

dude, thats a totally different thing in sooooo many ways.

31. BASS-master-Gordon

also, id help anyone on the ice if necessary, im just speaking out against people who make the news, and all this publicity over ice fishing----i mean what was said before, 4 people did not read the instructions when they got their gps or even thought of searching it up, nor did any one of them know how to operate it, all said though, none of us witnessed the climax of this situation, so no one has any ground except the people who were there,unless they are secretly on this board maybe???, none the less were arguing over here say. hopefully one day people will get it, hopefully the norfolk county signs help.

32. Walleye

Walleye Well-Known Member

Hi all.
    My long winded reply was not intended to pit Forum Member against Forum Member. It was an honest accounting of that day from my perspective and then a comment about those that would arm chair quarter back a game they haven`t seen.

If you read my posting it was quite long compared to the article Stomp provided. I could have written ten pages on the three hours my event took and still could not have provided all the facts or thought going through my head. The article Stomp provided was short and could not possibly provide all the facts of that event.
    Not a shot at you Stomp.

What surprised and saddened me was that people were reading into that little article all kinds of mischief and no goodnik.

I pointed out my mistakes so people might learn from them and I will continue to do so with no embarassment. I did make another mistake that I had forgotten about. I had just bought another portable Ice Hut and forgot to take the Compass out of the other one. Now that I have said that I must also point out that using a Compass or GPS is quite easy when someone is showing you on a beautifull sunny day on the Bay or in your back yard. It`s quite different when your life may rely on it. Anxiety is a killer and may be more dangerous then the event that is occurring.

The Compass would have helped get to shore but it would not have been much good to find my hut as it is not a locator.

GPS is good but not perfect. In the cold batteries don`t work so good. Every GPS on the market is not the same, as the Manufacturers have not come to convention due to proprietary technology. GPS is not simple and I find that the instructions not so simple either. Understanding GPS, it`s history, how it works and why, is not common knowlege. GPS is the same as our home computers. Garbage in and Garbage out.

ch312 and BASS-master-Gordon. I was not taking a shot at either of you and I am not doing so now. I only ask that you consider a couple of things.

Please consider that not everyone has your knowlege or common sense.

Please consider that not everyone that fishes the bay is a Member of this Forum or any other on this topic and therefore are not privy to the knowlege that is available here.

Please consider that people make mistakes. It is the our nature.

Please consider that what we do after the mistake is made is paramount and sharing our mistakes is beneficial to everyone.

Please consider that you sharing your methods of avoiding mistakes or errors is just as good.

Please understand that my purpose for writing this and my previous reply is and was not intended to diminish your point of view.

I will finish with this.

As I get older the smarter my Father gets.

Cheers, Clark

33. BASS-master-Gordon

ok. first of all, a gps does not take rocket scientist to figure out, its a tough screen gadget, and im surprised not one of these poor people did not even play around with it before,its tough, humans like to touch things, you put in an adress or put my locale and BOOM! a bloody 5 year old could do it, one day, one day, these rescuers are going to be put in danger by an easily avoidable situation, and that is if A-its storming outside,like it's going to today or tonight,dont go out if you know it will be trouble, people get this fishing urge and do all sorts of crazy ****, i have not seen it all but in my short time ice fishing, ice some alot, fish are not worth putting lives in danger- i dont know how you can defend these people-btw caseys dream-do you like to pick and start something? you do? well i do to-its just a big game to me.let em roll pal.:)

34. BASS-master-Gordon

and in this day and age we should not be getting lost, if you dont have the proper knowledge WTF again WTF were you doing in the middle of the bay in a snowstorm-without any knowledge, i know what went down, one dude herded the rest of em' told them itd be ok bcuz they have a gps then they panicked and got confused and acted and thought later-i take back my comment of we dont know, we do know, its stupidity, year after yaer this happens, read up before you go, ask questions , though you all may think im a know it all, if i can tap a local goldmine of info from say jimmy carol, ill listen and listen good, you have to be prepared before you go out people there is more to it than catching fish, wayyyy more. thats all im saying, knowledge is key. if you dont want to end up in a morgue-or floating underneath the ice until thaw out-be aware of you surroundings and cope with them.

35. fish_for_life

fish_for_life Well-Known Member

OK wishing someone a death of hypothermia is just wrong people make mistakes and i hope that those of you get help that think otherwise
    I have never met a perfect person in my life

36. Jwalsh

Jwalsh Well-Known Member

Hey SRT8 why don’t you mind your business...I wasn't talking to you...my post makes perfect sense...maybe you should read all the other posts and think a little before you write something. I am entitled to my own opinion and so are the other people...don’t be a hypocrite...you talk about keeping personal attacks to ourselves and then you personally attack us in your own post....

37. easton

easton Member

WOW! Is it ever interesting to read through all of the comments...especially from my perspective, a wife of one of the men whom had NO problem offereing services to some who needed it...who knows when it might be you?!
    My husband really appreciates all the koodo's etc. it's not needed, but sure is nice to know that people are/would be thankful if it was there boots he was out looking for. :D

I am proud of ALL the people who had a giving enough character/resources/knowledge to help out....everyone one of those boys would go out no matter who was out or what reason. Let's just be thankful that we are lucky enought to have so many locals willing to lend a helping hand and not how unfortunate it is that they are needed.

Easton

38. SRT8

SRT8 Well-Known Member

quote:
    Originally posted by Jwalsh

Hey SRT8 why don’t you mind your business...I wasn't talking to you...my post makes perfect sense...maybe you should read all the other posts and think a little before you write something. I am entitled to my own opinion and so are the other people...don’t be a hypocrite...you talk about keeping personal attacks to ourselves and then you personally attack us in your own post....

I never attacked anyone I just was trying to diffuse a already touchy subject if my post came across as a attack I apologize for that but the being entitled to your own opinion goes both ways and you jumped on the guys that didn't agree with yours . I see Stomp's board as my business and I hate seeing threads like this on here it looks bad on all of us.

[​IMG]

39. elevatorman

elevatorman Well-Known Member

40. Stick

Stick Well-Known Member

Amen! Elevatorman, Amen!

Stick

[​IMG]

41. mex

mex Member

quote:
    Originally posted by Stick

Amen! Elevatorman, Amen!

Stick

[img height=1]http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo213/Stick2009/DSC00152.jpg[/img]

42. mex

mex Member

wow that was an interesting read humans make mistakes (without drugs and booze) glad to know people will still help when they can

43. SRT8

SRT8 Well-Known Member

quote:
    Originally posted by easton

WOW! Is it ever interesting to read through all of the comments...especially from my perspective, a wife of one of the men whom had NO problem offereing services to some who needed it...who knows when it might be you?!

My husband really appreciates all the koodo's etc. it's not needed, but sure is nice to know that people are/would be thankful if it was there boots he was out looking for. :D

I am proud of ALL the people who had a giving enough character/resources/knowledge to help out....everyone one of those boys would go out no matter who was out or what reason. Let's just be thankful that we are lucky enought to have so many locals willing to lend a helping hand and not how unfortunate it is that they are needed.

Easton

Your Husband and the other men who went out to save these people are TRUE hero's and just like most hero's they sound very modest .I would personally like to say thank you to the guys so please pass it on to them that I say Thank You for being the stand up guys they are .
    Shawn Beaumont

BTW if I ever get in trouble out there on the ice or soft water it is reasurring to know these men are close to the bay (hope it never happens)

[​IMG]

44. G.Mech

G.Mech Well-Known Member

I just noticed the post below in another thread from one of the harshest critics of the guys that had to be rescued. Better hope the pressure crack doesn't open up while you're out there or it could be a cold nite...;) Just sayin' is all...

quote:

just wondering if there are currently any pressure cracks in the bay and if they can be crossed with an atv towing a hut. might have to bring some planks with me :D

45. BASS-master-Gordon

just saying starts stuff, lets end it? these people were idiots, yes we make mistakes but how long till we stop getting lost, if ice fishing gets this much publicity, old man dalton is going to find some way to make money off us, do i hear a useless safety test?

46. addy27

addy27 Member

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, eh bassmaster gordon? I hope one day when you need help you get it without criticism. Kid, if you'd only seen half of the shyt I've seen 'out in the field'. LOL

47. Stick

Stick Well-Known Member

Oh to be 16 again..............and know everything. Instead of 46 and still learning.:D

Stick

[​IMG]

48. Fishaholic

Fishaholic Well-Known Member

No doubt Stick! I had a teacher once tell me to keep my glass half empty so that I would always have room for more. Sounds like someones cup is overflowing ( and perfect to boot...rare combo). Pity.

"Mistakes are painful when they happen, but years later a collection of mistakes is what is called experience". Denis Waitley

Regards
    KJ

49. addy27

addy27 Member

Exactly stick. It's so much more fun to learn hands on than to sit behind a computer screen and say "see, I told you so, that's what I read on the internet"!! Dudes, I've been on the ice and back in the bush with the wisest guys around and they all slip up once in a while. Remember, we are always learning. Always!

50. jeweller

jeweller Well-Known Member

It's funny how people assume things when they hear about things that happen. The people that came off the ice where not intoxated in any way. They where very cold though.They didn't do anything wrong. They got confused on where they were and didn't trust what they were looking at. When they thought they were lost they stopped and call 911, gave gps coordinates which the phone company comfirmed though their cell phone call. The proper agencies were called. (always seems to be an overkill but each department has a role just in case of the unknown) The proper plan was put in place and everyone came home safe. The four people are human got lost but did the right thing when all is said and done.I know all this because I was part of the right agencies that were there. I also talked to the gentleman that was brought in at Old Cut, he to did the right thing by getting help when he needed it.

The meaning of life? FISHING!!!

51. archer

archer Well-Known Member

The best bumper sticker I ever saw was "hire a teenager while they still know everything". :D

Paul

52. ch312

ch312 Well-Known Member

quote:
    Originally posted by G.Mech

I just noticed the post below in another thread from one of the harshest critics of the guys that had to be rescued. Better hope the pressure crack doesn't open up while you're out there or it could be a cold nite...;) Just sayin' is all...

quote:

just wondering if there are currently any pressure cracks in the bay and if they can be crossed with an atv towing a hut. might have to bring some planks with me :D

getting reports on the bays current ice conditions is one step towards being prepared...kinda like checking the weather before heading out. if there was a crack and it was too risky to cross i'd need to look at a different area to launch from.

i prefer to keep myself out of hairy situations;)

53. BASS-master-Gordon

blame it on me knowing it it, never did i say i knew it all, infact i said i learned from people didnt i? you guys are pushing the point across that any hoo haa can go out there get screwed and then have someone put their lives on the line to save them,bravo, i'm sure the rescuers really want to save every imbicile who finds themselves out there with a gps and cant find their way home, i mean come on guys, whats the point in defending this so much?

54. BASS-master-Gordon

your point is we should help all fishermen novice or pro, but if you care so much about other fishermen, why are you argueing with some? are we idiots and know it alls? internet tough guys? thats no fair no ones an idiot, well unless you guys choose to bash them, i never thought this board was so hostile against opinions? i mean three seperate fellow fisherman got bashed by how many others? this topic has not discouraged me in the least from the forum,so if you were hoping that, too bad:(:D

55. riverrunner

riverrunner Member

what upsets me about this entire thing is that only a small handful of you have understood that a mistake was made and that these people are back home with there families! THAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING!!!!

bass master gordon among a few others can sit back and call each and every person out there an idiot or whatever.alot of older guys have been relying on self knowledge for their entire life time and some people have a harder time figuring out new things,especially electronics! fact is,alot of people get lost,alot of people make mistakes and people have been ice fishing/fishing for many,many years and have never had electronics to navigate with.i dont care if your 16 or 60,you make mistakes and so did this party of 4,alcohol or drugs involved or not!! you are 16 and sound like you know the world and you probably know very little! let alone being a self proclaimed bass master that couldnt even work his own electronics on the ice last year.so before you rip someone for carrying out a piece of equipment they are unfamiliar with,think about your own experiences,life threatening or not!! even if its was there first outing with a gps,it takes practice to use one and im sure like you and your flasher,these guys will get some much needed practice and become familiar with it. in this day and age it is hard to get by with out some kind of electronic help but alot of us still go with out all the high end or expensive little gadgets.i dont own a gps or a flasher and i do just fine,actually better then alot of guys that have both..for the most part its self knowledge and common sense but just like any other human being,i can make a mistake! some bigger then others but we all make them and shouldnt be judged or ridiculed over them....you live,you learn and you learn some of your best life experiences by the mistakes you make!!

kudos to those who stepped up,helped these people when they needed it and to the ones that see the big and happy picture at the end of all this bullsh!t!

56. BASS-master-Gordon

again, did i not say in the post before, i learn from people and i listen, again, i am voicing my opinion, not killing anyone, there are way more comments that could be bashed then me, dont go off because you dont agree with someone, so hostile man! never did i say i knew it all, and i was just voicing my opinion, wow, this is something, i know a little about the ice, enuf to off, so dont say i know nothing, go bash yourself, where did you come in on this? clear basher you are. but that doesnt spoil any thoughts about you with me,have a good one!

57. canvasbacksca

canvasbacksca Well-Known Member

B-m-G:

First rule for one who finds himself in a hole: "STOP DIGGING!":)

58. archer

archer Well-Known Member

quote:
    Originally posted by canvasbacksca

B-m-G:

First rule for one who finds himself in a hole: "STOP DIGGING!":)

This is the best post in the whole thread! LOL

Paul