Ice Drama from Last Week

stomp

Administrator
Staff member
For those that may have missed it, below is a link to a T'burg news story about what can go wrong out on the Bay's ice. I recommend an old reliable compass in addition to all the electronics; they are idiot-proof, won't run out of batteries or freeze up on you. Stay safe out there!

Brave guys who did the search and rescue:

http://www.tillsonburgnews.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2949690

THAT WAS A BRAVE RESCUE.MY HEART BEAT WENT UP ,WHEN I WAS READING ARTICLE. I CAN TELL YOU THAT I HAVE A SMALL ROUND COMPASS ATTACHED TO MY COAT THAT HAS GOT ME HOME MORE THAN ONCE.THAT WAY YOU DONT FORGET TO TAKE COMPASS. HOPE THIS HELPS.
MONTY[:I]

two thumbs up to the guys that lead these fools back to shore.

i know it sounds harsh, but they should have left those idiots out there for the night to teach them a good lesson. i'm getting rather sick and tired reading about people putting rescuers at risk because they failed to do their homework or learn how to use their GPS.

4 adults and they still couldnt muster up enough brain power to figure out a GPS BEFORE heading out? heck, all you have to do is turn it on and scroll a few pages to see the compass. it doesn't take a very high IQ to figure out that it's time to leave when darkness is falling and a blizzard is rolling in, especially with no GPS, compass, or experience in the area.

morons...[V]

Hats off to the fellas that helped out and prevented a tragedy. It's good to know there's people around who are prepared to help out when called upon.

Unfortunately people manage to get themselves in trouble by not being properly prepared or using some common sense. good thing there isn't law against being careless.

quote:
Originally posted by Rob V

Unfortunately people manage to get themselves in trouble by not being properly prepared or using some common sense. good thing there isn't law against being careless.

well, if people had to start paying for the entire rescue operation from start to finish it would probably serve as a great wakeup call for everyone to smarten up. things like this can be avoided 99.99% of the time. the fact that there was 4 of them makes it even worse. maybe drugs and/or alcohol were involved? [:eek:)]

hs, i am sixteen and i can properly work a compass, work a gps and find my way to shore. more and more society sickens and scares me,god save us.

fishing,for some a hobby, for most an addiction

either theses folks are slow and need a caregiver or they were high and drunk out of their skulls. dont drink if you cant handle it, more importantly on a quad in the middle of a frozen bay in a snowstorm, do i hear a darwin award nomination,for sure.

bassmaster gordon-and what were you doing out there in a blizzard a few saturday's ago? boys will be boys! your mother...

Hi all.
Stomp. Thank you for putting that link here so that we could find out what happened.
I am somewhat saddened by the remarks being made on this thread with regard to the four people, yes people, that were lost and in peril.
These people went fishing just like everyone else did that day. I don't know them and therefore cannot speak for them or what experience they may or may not have nor will I assume anything about drugs and/or alcohol.
These people went Ice Fishing on Long Point Bay.
These people got lost.
These people realised that they were lost.
These people did the right thing by calling someone for help.
These people will be with their family and friends for a while longer.
Other people got involved.
Other people made a huge effort to help these people.
Other people took risk to help these lost people.
Other people care without judgement.
There is a lesson to be learned by all of us. If we all prejudge those that make mistakes we will surely lose the ability to learn from those mistakes and they will continue to happen.
I was there that evening as I have reported on another thread.
We knew it was windy and we knew it that visibilty was going to be an issue. What we didn't know was how bad it would get and how fast it would get there.
Someone mentioned that "they" should have been left on the Ice all night. I would suggest that the outcome of that would have included "body bags". A harsh price to pay for the event.
I will reiterate my storey of that day.
I am very experienced with this kind of event. I had two friends who are not as experienced as I. I fish til dark because I have always had good luck during the last hour of light. we knew things were bad but we had discussed what we would do.
I sent my two friends into shore on my Skidoo. The thinking behind that decision was that they could and would get to shore pointed in the direction they were going. They did miss the Old Cut but they got there. I knew that coming back out to get whoever was left in the hut was not going to be an option as shore is big and my Hut is like a needle in a haystack in those conditions. I was prepared and ready to spend the night. Once my buds got to shore we talked on the cell phone and I asked them to stay there. I then called Jimmy and asked if he would come and get me as He has the experience and knowlege to find me in that weather. He did and all was well.

We did however make some mistakes which I will take credit for.
I have always parked my skidoo pointing at the shoreline and specific spot I want to get to. I did that but then my bud went for a ride and he didn't do that. I then said I would do it later but didn't. I always point my ice auger in that direction to, however my bud drilled some new holes and I said I would do that later as well.

I will make two assumptions. The responses on this thread would have me and my two buds in body bags because I made some mistakes and should pay for those mistakes with not only my life but my two buds.
Those respondents have never made a mistake in their endeavours.

I just recently was told a one liner from someone teaching me "error management"

" the last guy that was perfect had a terrible Easter Weekend".

Once again I must state that I am saddened that some think that people should die and families destroyed because a mistake was made.

I thank those that showed up to rescue those in peril and I am greatfull that they did.

I am happy that those four people will be with their families.

I have learned yet another lesson and will pass it on.

I will look in the mirror before I condemn those that make a mistake.

Thank you Stomp for this thread and your advice.

Cheers, Clark

I'm sure all are glad at the happy outcome; the rescuers were truly heroic. I wouldn't have wanted to head out in those conditions.

I once, under similar conditions, was coming off Simcoe in an old Bombardier. The operator had GPS and thought he was heading at his own flashing beacon on land. Turned out we were pointed straight at the lights of a backhoe digging out an ice jam in the Beaver River. Fortunately, our "pilot" realized his mistake before it was too late. Once we made it ashore, he stopped the snow machine, turned to a somewhat relieved ice fishing party and said "Thanks for flying United":D.

Wow you guys are a tough crowd. Accidents and mistakes happen in life all the time. Hopefully the tough critics are never in that situation. Glad these events are posted for the lessons not the scoldings. Totally off topic but I think everyone should give Jimmy the taxi driver tips!:D

tough crowd? one mistake by someone, a fun thing is washed down the tubes, seen it way to many times, all because of stupid people, smart ones lose out everywhere.

Some 40-50 years ago I remember a line of small cedars or pines planted on the ice I think by the late Fred Howe or Lipsits. Those were the life saving beacons for many, long before GPS ever came along. I think they also marked out some gas leaks too with the pines when a natural gas line crossed the Bay. It's been gone for a number of years. Oh, and when someone's vehicle went kerplunk, the pines marked those locations too.

Kudos to the Grangers and Proppers and other Bay people who assisted on this one. Probably won't be the last one either.

DAVEEO

Good post Walleye.That was a well thought out piece of writing based on reason.I doubt those people went out ice fishing looking to get into that type of predicament.Most experienced fishermen on here seem to know what to do because of previous (or other peoples)experiences.If alcohol or drugs were a factor I'm pretty sure the police would have picked up on it back at shore.Making knee jerk accusations based only on an opinion contributes nothing to the subject of this thread.Every year certain conditions come up out on the ice and someone gets lost and disoriented.These events should be seen as a reason for educating on the importance of learning how to navigate.We are not a perfect society and these things will happen again.Even on the soft water in the year to come.

I have seen lines of trees used as markers on Lake St. Clair and thought it was a good idea. Maybe someone could find a tree farmer willing to loan some trees out? Or the county could use its discarded Christmas trees.

quote:
Originally posted by Walleye

There is a lesson to be learned by all of us. If we all prejudge those that make mistakes we will surely lose the ability to learn from those mistakes and they will continue to happen.

Someone mentioned that "they" should have been left on the Ice all night. I would suggest that the outcome of that would have included "body bags". A harsh price to pay for the event.

the problem i have with this kind of crap is it's 2011 and crap like this is still happening. really, how many more people need to get lost before people will finally realize that a GPS, compass, and/or map will prevent this from happening?

the only thing i've learned from this is that there are still idiots out there that don't learn from other peoples mistakes. again, this was 99.99% avoidable and there are no excuses out there to make me think any different. this is just like people going through thin ice...it happens every year and people still don't smarten up. it seems like many people aren't capable of learning and the same "mistakes" happen year after year.

that was me that mentioned they should have spent the night on the ice and i stand by that. i highly doubt any body bags would have been involved if they spent the night on the ice. if so, it would be a result of another health issue.

learning how to use a map and compass should be mandatory for every hunter and fisherman...

quote:
Originally posted by ch312

quote:
Originally posted by Walleye

the problem i have with this kind of crap is it's 2011 and crap like this is still happening. really, how many more people need to get lost before people will finally realize that a GPS, compass, and/or map will prevent this from happening?

the only thing i've learned from this is that there are still idiots out there that don't learn from other peoples mistakes. again, this was 99.99% avoidable and there are no excuses out there to make me think any different. this is just like people going through thin ice...it happens every year and people still don't smarten up. it seems like many people aren't capable of learning and the same "mistakes" happen year after year.

that was me that mentioned they should have spent the night on the ice and i stand by that. i highly doubt any body bags would have been involved if they spent the night on the ice. if so, it would be a result of another health issue.

learning how to use a map and compass should be mandatory for every hunter and fisherman...

I agree with you Ch312...although I dont wish death on anyone, I will never venture out onto a frozen bay when a nasty storm is approaching. I have only ice fished a dozen times in the last couple ice fishing seasons, and have yet to have any close calls... Common sense, all it takes. Stay home when its nasty out, there is always another day.

halloween09.jpg

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks