Hastings Help?

BoDren

New to the forum. Just bought a cottage in Long Point on Dickenson Ave. Love to fish perch with kids and was wondering where hastings is and what is the best way to get hastings? Is there a launch or can i get a 17 foot deep v in? I have fished burwell.

BoDren, if you have fished out of Port Burwell that is the closest public access to Hastings. The area is 16 miles east of the Port Burwell light house and is accessible with a 17' boat on days when you have a favourable weather forecast. Launching off the beach or from a private ramp on Hastings is an option if you have the right equipment and permission. For the majority of people getting a charter is the most sensible option if you insist upon the Hastings experience.

1/2 way down Hasting dr., there is a lot owned by norfolk county
Take a trip down there on a Saturday morning, you'll see a few trucks and trailers parked on the side of the road
If you use that access point, don't block the road at all, don't want to screw it up for the rest of us

Please read Big Daves post "Hastings Info", He clearly explains the Hastings issues, not only about launching, but parking and most importantly SAFETY! ! I've been fishing both LPB amd the lake for my whole life and have seen it all first hand, inluding myself getting stuck 5-10kms out in the lake when my rip cord handle broke off and the cord recoiled back into the motor. A simple knot tied below the handle whould of saved me hours of stress and rowing.

While it is frustrating for cottage ownrs not being able to access the lake, the fact remains, there is no public launch to access Lake Erie from Hastings and any lot with a manageable means to launch a trailered boat is PRIVATE PROPERTY.

1/2 way down Hasting dr., there is a lot owned by norfolk county
Take a trip down there on a Saturday morning, you'll see a few trucks and trailers parked on the side of the road
If you use that access point, don't block the road at all, don't want to screw it up for the rest of us
There is no lot owned by Norfolk county where you can access the lake with a trailered boat.

I really don't understand the big rush to go to hastings if you go safely with the right equipment that's fine. I can go out with my 16ft around burwell with my two kids and limit out in a couple hours and use little fuel, the key is to move around and find the fish if you have a gps mark the spot and your all set.

Before I bought my bigger boat I use to fish Burwell with my 16 ft tin can with a 40 hp motor and did very well , yes sometimes you had to move around to find them but I was close to port if the weather got nasty . Hastings is nice but not always worth the risk if you do not have the right equipment . Play safe !! Kids like catching fish no matter what size

Back