Fantastic Day @ Elbow

10-7

Took advantage of the weather and water conditions and headed out to the Elbow. Most of the day surrounded by commercial tugs trolling and taking all of our fish. lol I did count around 8 of them. One actually trolled directly beside me. Had to refresh the lines all day due to the silver bass.

Anyways, we went 9 out of 14. My buddy managed to haul in a nice big of an eye about 8 t0 9 lbs and a 10lb. bow. We lost about 4 bows and two eyes right at the boat. So so frustrating to say to say the least. Very happy with our results.

Location Trolled: south & north ( back in forth) in about 72 to 84 fow
Method used: dispels, riggers and leadcore
Water temp: very distinctive thermal-cline at 35 to 45 both on probe and sonar. (surface reached 75.6)
GPS trolling speed: 2.8mph ( had to speed up to avoid sheepies)
Spoons used all day. copper in am & silver backs with very reflective colours in pm.
Productive depth: 38' and 46' ( tried to go above and below thermal cline) Marked fish in, above and below that depth.

My son wanted to keep one of the silver bass.

Cheers

10-7

Duck Soup...... I saw you go out of the marina in your very nice Lund, but didn't see you out there.

IMG_2681.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2674.jpg
    IMG_2674.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2681.jpg
    IMG_2681.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 27
Nice going Scott. What a day to fish....I got stuck being a party transport. Check your messages...I sent you one about a long run on Tues this week.

Thanks for the report 10-7. We did everything you did but maybe not in the same area. The tugs abandoned the Elbow when we were setting up and all but one moved south closer to the Lighthouse. It's never a bad strategy to fish near the tugs because they were trawling for smelt and injured bait fish turn on the predators. We marked lots of smelt but with the tugs gone the feeding frenzy was obviously over. We assumed the tugs were heading back to Port Stanley when they moved south but saw them circling in the distance albeit too late. We fished down 35-45 with mostly copper spoons excepting the boards where we were running body baits 20-25' below the surface targeting feeding walleye. Albert had our only legitimate opportunity when a bow hit his silver/blue NK28 and he was obviously targeting bows with that. We trolled 2.5 mph most of the time but also tried GPS 2.0 and 3.0.

Your killing me Arnie...I've run a blue silver every trip and have not had a touch on it.....I was thinking something had changed to turn them off of it out here. I started copying you and Albert a long time ago in having one out and they took a lot of fish.

We didn't exactly get our limit either with 3 persons on board, but still a great day to be out. I was set up mostly for eyes and surprised to get so many hits from the bows.

Yes, our backyard is nothing like the Central Basin and pretty much 1 eye = 4 eyes out there. Gets way too expensive & timely for us local boaters to haul our rigs to Burwell or Stanley to play. I'm also hearing the channel over there is shallow this year and requires skill to manoeuvre through. I could be wrong. The fisheries in our backyard is nothing the way it used to, but I enjoy the hunt. lol I truly enjoy the feedback on this post from local fisherman like yourself that assist others who are determine to locate those elusive LPB fish. There is a lot of ground to cover out there with fewer fish; therefore, feedback from yourself, SeaStar, DaveyBuoy and others helps.

Cheers

10-7

Good report! I had all but given up on the Lighthouse/Elbow years ago....guess it is turning back on.

Your killing me Arnie...I've run a blue silver every trip and have not had a touch on it.....I was thinking something had changed to turn them off of it out here. I started copying you and Albert a long time ago in having one out and they took a lot of fish.
Norv, that silver/blue is still our go-to spoon for bows in LPB. In Lake Ontario I leave the silver/blue and all my brass spoons at home. It made little difference for us yesterday. I did those figure eight's where Albert lost that bow but he must have been a loner. Successful fishing is usually about finding some fish and we sure didn't yesterday.

Hey guys! Great updates and I hope to get out there as well!

Family duties came first yesterday but hopefully; I will be able to contribute to the reports soon.

Pin

Back