FALL WATER LEVELS ?

Old Cut LongPointer

Checked out the water level forecast and it looks like a shallow year for the Fall hunt. Glad I bought a mud motor ! Will the Cookie Cutter be able to get through the Marsh ?

It makes sense due to the lack of snow/rain this past winter and spring. Wish I had a boat. The walk outs may be a bit dry.

Hello OCLP,

Has the LPWA ever considered putting in some pit blinds in the eastern (dry) portion of the marsh? Years ago Blind 7 was far from the water's edge and there was lots of shooting from that Stake Blind.

Jerome

PS Lots of geese ... over 20 in my back yard 3 times last week.
PS Saw a few BWT flying around too.

We'll find out today....scheduled to start Cookie Cutting in the west end of the marsh at noon August 7th.
quote:
Originally posted by Old Cut LongPointer

Checked out the water level forecast and it looks like a shallow year for the Fall hunt. Glad I bought a mud motor ! Will the Cookie Cutter be able to get through the Marsh ?

Duck Soups reply
We were out 3 days but only had one morning with water levels at par or better. Par was 59 centimeters above chart datum. We got all of the channels and most of the blinds done but the water was too low at a few pond locations. Folks planning on hunting the inside of the marsh by boat will probably need a mud motor to get around by fall. Saw more BW teal than normal and by far the most wild rice ever. Also saw a mink catch a wood duck. Snapping turtles are certainly not rare in the crown marsh. Wish I had a buck for every turtle seen.

Canvasbacksca original question
So, how did the cookie-cutting go, Duck?

Please see Canvasbacksca post. I have editing privilege and I guess I clicked the wrong prompt.

Thanks for the report, Duck! Based on the water mark on my seawall, the water's about 15" lower than last year and has been going down steadily. This shows the same thing:

http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/data/now/wlevels/plots/mh_sc_cl.gif

There have been about 100 Mallards & BWT using the pond behind our place on Pine Rd. West.

How are those newer holding ponds looking? Is the rice growing in there? That would be great news for holding birds in the area.

tinboater there is more wild rice than I have ever seen. To access some of the hunting ponds and blinds we had to cut paths through rice that seemed to go on forever. These paths were 100 meters or so not long ago now some are close to a half kilometer.
quote:
Originally posted by tinboater

How are those newer holding ponds looking? Is the rice growing in there? That would be great news for holding birds in the area.

Hi Sonny...the most serious are in the same area. They are 18,19 and 23. We went there twice, once on Wednesday and first thing Thursday morning and simply didn't have enough water. The two others are 35 and 26. The latter two were in fair condition and are huntable if there is enough water. Ponds at 18, 19 and 23 are just a carpet of moss weed. We did half of 23 but got stuck before we got in front of the blind. We made it up all the way to 29 but had to turn around and come back....I'm not too concerned because hardly anyone uses that blind anyway. We didn't even try to do 11A but I'm guessing 11B should be fine. We didn't try to do the east end because you need lots of water to cross the sand bar at #4. None of the holding ponds were done because we need even more water to do them. They are not used by hunters and still have lots of construction ridges that hang up the machine.

quote:
Originally posted by sonnyuphi

So Arnie which ponds couldn't you get the cookie cutter into ?

Hello OCLP,

I agree with Canvasback's notes as the water level is about 16 inches lower at my end of the Inner Bay ... you can add another 6 inches to that with a west wind.

Jerome

PS Saw 2 coots yesterday afternoon and heard a few mallards in the wild rice ... lots of that around!

Just curious, but what does that mean for blinds like 3,4,5,6,7? I realize 3 has a channel that normally has a lot of water, but 4, 6 and 7 are pretty shallow to begin with. Same with 40, 41, 43.

Sorry for the questions. I've only been hunting the unit for a couple years and haven't experienced a low water year.

Means a lot of blinds will be high and dry come mid to late season ! Too bad we can't get the dozer in to scrape some new ponds at that time. Also if the wind blows all the water out of the Bay there's a good chance you and your boat will spend the night in the marsh so make sure your cell phone is charged up and loaded with the Unit's phone number( or other emerg/local contact numbers) an pack extra sandwiches and maybe a pillow !

OCLP
I think we are going to have a water issue well before mid season from what i have seen ! I bought a new mud motor as well but maybe should have but a helicopter ! But i think you hit the nail on the head with packing an over night bag
Glenn

" Thats 12 already ? count them again Larry "

I heard some third party info. Said Fred was cutting walking paths where there was usually water. I'm not sure if that meant walk ways were being cut out to some blinds that are normally boat access, or if it was just the usual walk out paths?

Regardless, sounds like at many blinds and points, the water will be too far from the blinds or cover.

Is there a plan being cooked up as to how or where any blinds that are not accessible by boat but have water nearby can be used as Shooting Points ?

WOW is Bluff bar ever sticking out of the water if you didn't know where you were you would think your on a tropic island. I don't ever remember that much sand out of the water.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks