Elbow Help with Dipsy

BoDren

New too the whole big lake pickeral fishing. Just picked up two counter rods and a couple dipsy divers. Wanted to try to get some fish at the elbow but have some questions. Can i get down deep enough using dipsys? What kind of lures do I want to use? What kind of speeds am I looking at? Or any other information would be great. Will be down at my cottage toninght at long point and tomorrow so any info or advice would be great. Free beer for anyone who wants to come over and give advice lol

Hey @BoDren

K so here as a few tips I've learned:
I'm no expert at trolling long lines myself but have had some success with Dispey's and fortunate enought to have a tw0 Bro in laws that know their stuff too!

1) Dipsey colour, if you want Eye's go for black or purple ( less flash the better ).

2) I use both # 0 and # 1 dipsey's and set my oustide lines to # 3 setting and inside lines at # 0 or # 1 settng. ( # 3 setting will make them swing out farthr and # 0 setting will make them go down farther. the more line out the deeper it goes as well.

3) As far as trolling speed I normally go about 2.5 to 3 mph on my gps, but hey try diff speds and shake things up if its a slow bite.

4) Make sure to tune your dipsey's, check screws aren't too tight or loose on the release as that will loose you a lot of fish. Keep a screw driver in the boat too.

5) Set your drag just tight enough that line isn't coming out when trolling , ( have the clicker on the reel on ) as eye's hit light some times and you can take them for a ride if the drag is too tight and the disepy release is not tuned up.

6) I use spoons a lot, mostly copper backed, but have has some luck with silver backed too, cranks too if you have em.
Spoons - Greesy chicken wing, Monkey puke, Nascar, Watermelon, Blueberry muffin are a few.

7) Cpl links to apps if you want.
http://dipsytroller.com/dipsy-diver/
http://m.eroe.store.aptoide.com/app/market/com.AC.DipsyDiver/3/4460060/AcuDipsy AcuTroller

Thats the main stuff.......hope that helps, look forward to your reports on how things went.
And I'll deff drink your beer anytime.........lol

Cheers

Last edited:
Dipsy's come with a chart that describes the depth vs setting etc. Make a copy and bring it on the boat, I read it and learn as we troll along. Sometimes the Dipsy needs a little sanding for the release, I had the screw almost off and it still wasn't releasing properly.

I've learned that trolling speed for spoons and plugs will be 2.5 to 3.5 depending on current. Much slower for harnesses.

The few Pics this year have all come on Reef Runners and Silver Streak spoons. Those crazy named Silver Streaks seem to be the menu of choice for spoons on this lake. Something with purple for the minnow baits.

I make sure my spoons and baits are running true by putting the tip of the rod in the water, get to a trolling speed and watch it move.

Always run the Dipsys in the outside holders and leadcore on the inside or rear rod holders.

I'm new to this as well but am learning much here and from asking the experts as well.

I'd say trolling speed is on the top of the list for success. Doesn't matter how deep or what's on wrong speed no fish.

Good luck and wish me luck as well.

Side question from another noobie:

How much line should I be running in between the lure and cannon ball?

BoDren, the advice posted to date is pretty good. You will need Power Pro or a substitute no-stretch line on your reel. I use 40 pound which seems thin enough. Wire line is even more effective but requires special equipment. I subscribe to TwinFisher's recommendations except that the Dipsy also works with worm harnesses but you must slow down to 2 MPH or less if possible.

Hey @plowboy

I'm not sure about the cannon ball, but hang tight as there are a lot of good experienced people on here that will pipe in. @WhatsthePoint and I can prob both agree we've pick up a lot of good advice from chatting on here! This site is a great resource!

I agree with @Duck Soup on the Power Pro, I'm running 40lb on my rods as well.
I've never used a harness myself but going to try one today. Time to get out there with my boys!
Late start this morning............Stupid work gets in in the way of my fishing.

Cheers

I would like to thank you all for your replies. We left at 6am from my cottage and followed the gps to the elbow. We were a little unprepared in the lure department so we stopped at Rotten Ronnies to grab some lures on the way down the night before. Unfortunatly about all of the ones you mentioned were not there so we grabbed a couple and off we went. Started trolling with a blue and silver reef runner and on the other pole a copper backed spoon. Within 30 min we had a small silver bass on. About an hour later we decided to change out the reef runner (which was not catching much) and put another spoon on. We were doing a loop around the elbow marker (within 40 feet) and it happend. Luckily it was my turn to reel fish in and it was a walleye. Not a monster but still for our first time out it was nice to get one. We stayed out until about 10:30 and then left. One for one on walleye and about a dozen silver bass. Pretty nice to catch one on your first time out. Noticed most of the markings of fish were from 30 to 40 feet. Was running lines anywhere from 67ft to 85ft down setting was 3 on dipsey. We looked it up and it said that with the braided line that we were using at 67ft we should be 30ft down? Anyone know if that is correct? Also we had snubs on and took them off and seemed to work better.

Thanks again for the information and replies.

Dave

Anyone have any idea what the smallest reel you would run lead on? I'm also a new member
I managed to get 8 colours on an old Shimano Triton TR 200 G... would recommend that you go larger...

(and welcome aboard and that's quite the handle:chicken: - suspect you'll fit right in)

Yes use a chart for the dypsies that is the best way to figure it all out. Troll 1.8-2.5 SOG. If you get to many sheep head speed up a bit.
As far as lead goes it is best used off planer board in my opinion. Any reel like convector 35 to 40 will get you 10 colors and backing.
I find riggers not all that great fro walleye unless you run 100ft plus leads.
Right now water is cold so try to stay above 40 ft deep with the lure. Walleye like between 65-72 deg.
Go to this sight it is awesome for seeing temp at depth(temp transects)
http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/res/glcfs/glcfs.php?lake=e&ext=vwt&type=N&hr=00

Y
Yes use a chart for the dypsies that is the best way to figure it all out. Troll 1.8-2.5 SOG. If you get to many sheep head speed up a bit.
As far as lead goes it is best used off planer board in my opinion. Any reel like convector 35 to 40 will get you 10 colors and backing.
I find riggers not all that great fro walleye unless you run 100ft plus leads.
Right now water is cold so try to stay above 40 ft deep with the lure. Walleye like between 65-72 deg.
Go to this sight it is awesome for seeing temp at depth(temp transects)
http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/res/glcfs/glcfs.php?lake=e&ext=vwt&type=N&hr=00
You are right there riggers not worth the trouble dipseys will out fish riggers every time

Ya I have the bait bible and dipsy trolley app just wondered I have 3 smaller reels that I wanted to spool with lead just wondered if I was gonna burn em out I bought them for riggers but now I'm not gonna use riggers might have to go see the man at angler outfitters

Last edited by a moderator:
Y

You are right there riggers not worth the trouble dipseys will out fish riggers every time
It must just be me but it seems the Pickarel are all coming from everything but downriggers. Which is fine by me because mine are manuals.

Pulled in my first walleye off a cannonball a couple weeks ago. Might have been a fluk though. Till I figure all this out it's all a big turkey shoot

Back