Crane Hunting

Duck Soup

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
LPWA President Jim Malcolm, Secretary Arnold Freitag, sustaining member Gordon Jamieson with DUC biologist Pat Kehoe in Saskatchewan on September 3rd

Hello Arnold,

Very well done!

Is there a general crane season in Saskatchewan with daily limits or do you require a special tag along with your MGB permit?

If we ever get a crane season in Ontario it will be fairly restrictive to specific WMUs with probably a tag for each bird harvested.

Jerome

no tags in sask, its either 5 or 6 a day.
Nice work boys thats awesome im jealous.

Hello Arnold,

Very well done!

Is there a general crane season in Saskatchewan with daily limits or do you require a special tag along with your MGB permit?

If we ever get a crane season in Ontario it will be fairly restrictive to specific WMUs with probably a tag for each bird harvested.

Jerome
As Donald 86 indicated the Saskatchewan limit is 5 per day/15 in possession with no special restrictions. I have no idea how sustainable the hunt is, only that I've hunted Saskatchewan periodically since the nearly seventies and there has always been lots of cranes. Upland game birds however were relatively rare when compared to the seventies. There was more water and sloughs than I've normally seen and seemed to be good numbers of all waterfowl except maybe pintails.

Sir Jim-congratulations on a gr8 time getting a rib I in the sky-u deserve it!
Perry & Paul
Duck Blind Outfitters

Hello Guys,

There is a good article in the Fall 2013 issue of Delta Waterfowl called "Big Birds - Big Rewards" on page 50 by P.J. Reilly. This article covers Tundra Swans, Sandhill Cranes and Common Eiders but I will just comment on the Sandhill Cranes.

The Sandhill Cranes that Duck Soup shot were from the Mid-Continent Population which currently numbers about 600,000 whereas the Eastern Population only numbers about 30,000 according to this article.

Dr. Dave Ankney sent me an e-mail early in 2011 advising me of an opening of a Sandhill Crane season in Kentucky and this article confirmed that the season went ahead as planned with 50 birds being harvested in the 2011-2012 season.

We are probably still a few years away before we get a limited Sandhill Crane season here in Ontario. It will probably be very restrictive in both numbers and in locations but anything is better than nothing!

Jerome

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks