Congratulations Dicker!

Hello Duckman,

I have not been waterfowling much lately.

1) I only got out twice in 2010 when my new house was under construction.

2) I only hunted the unit twice in 2011 (walk out only) as I just bought my new truck (mid October) and I had to get my trailer hitch installed (mid November) when I went back to Richmond Hill. However I did hunt the inner bay outside of the unit with my small duck boat twice last year with good results.

I will try to get out to the unit once a week in November after my new "double decker" deck is built.

Jerome

PS I do not know who you are so please send me an e-mail at thebuddyboy@hotmail.com if you get a chance.

My brother shot a Brant years ago and I used to shoot Scooters on the other side of Pottohawk as well .Probably nothing can compare to the day I was out in the old blind #26 which was in the same pond as #27 back then . My hunting partner and I thought we were seeing things but flying over the feeder were some Pelicans . We honestly thought we were seeing things but asked Fred and he said some were down. They were white with black on their wings and had somehow got blown over our way by storms as they migrated from Lake Winnepeg.Stick around Long Point long enough and you will never be used to what we as hunters get to see that non-hunters just don't understand that it is a big part of the hunting experience we love .

Pelicans....?! I once had to wrestle an alligator at B1, just so we could hunt. I know its hard to believe because who would shoot B1. Lol

Just kidding, that's pretty cool!

Last year we shot Black...white winged...and surf Scoters....and a Brant off Pottahawk. Just about anything is possible. A few years back a friend wanted Me to look at the 3 huge Buffleheads he shot...Immature Harliquins all 3 of them.

Probably why I love the Bay so much.

Funny you mention the Harlequin ducks... a couple of years ago I had one in my decoys. Figured it might be an escapee from a zoo or other collection but you never know. Fortunately I knew better than to pull the trigger.

he's a pic of the final out come of my brant
BrantGoose.jpg

and the best part....it only costed me $90 to get done!
thanks for the line on the taxidermist pinchel, can't believe the cost of a good quality mount, and for once, it was done 100% how I wanted it (still a little bitter of my wood duck that was done by a taxidermist in jerrico, no names mentioned lol [:(!])
taxidermist name is:
Mike Warren
1-289-956-0213
he lives in smithville (just outside Cayuga)
I got this mount done for $90, cheapest guy around norfolk was $300 (pays to shop around)
he does every kind of mount imaginable

When times are tough,
and flocks are small,
take your time,
and kill 'em all!

No problem man glad to help. A bird like that deserves to be mounted. Ill be seeing Mike again tommorow to pick up my ruddy duck hes doing.

Delhi, Ontario

That looks pretty damn good for $90!
I've always wanted a pair of nice green heads to go in my den, I'll definately give him a call once I get a nice pair
Thanks for the update, cool mount Dicker!

quote:
Originally posted by Lpgar

Last year we shot Black...white winged...and surf Scoters....and a Brant off Pottahawk. Just about anything is possible. A few years back a friend wanted Me to look at the 3 huge Buffleheads he shot...Immature Harliquins all 3 of them.

Probably why I love the Bay so much.

Id probably would get this post deleted harlis are illegal to shoot in ontario. And eastern harlis are one the endangered species list.

Was before Harliquins were on the protected list. And as I said...it was a friend who wanted them ID'd

Hello Guys,

The Harliquin Duck was fair game until the late 1990s or early 2000s.

I remember once having two of them (drake and hen) fly by my decoys when I was still hunting divers at Presqu'ile about a year or two after they were protected. I informed the MNR waterfowl technician at the unit and he posted a notice for the other waterfowlers to be careful with identification of their ducks ... before shooting.

The Pacific population is doing okay and they can still be hunted.

Jerome

Had a drake Mallard done by Mike. Didn't look the greatest. Kinda of looked like Beetle Juice with a shrunken head!

That would be a mature bird by the looks of it
You can see the white starting to form on Dicker's goose, but not filled in yet
Is that because it's Immature, or because it's moulting?
Either way, I'm jelous!

It's a immature bird for sure
Would have been awesome if it was a fully matured bird, but I guess I can't have my cake and eat it too! Lol
Mike did a fantastic job mounting my goose, I will definately be shooting some more ducks to take to him, especially at that quality and those prices!!!!!

When times are tough,
and flocks are small,
take your time,
and kill 'em all!

I Also just picked up my ruddy duck I had him mount and it is absolutely perfect and better than I expected. Once again $80 and more business ahead.

Delhi, Ontario

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks