Congratulations Dicker!

John

Congratulations Dicker on your first Brant Goose. Nice shot!

thanks john!
couldn't believe that you let me take first(& 2nd- lol) crack at it!
it does make up for the lack of duck action I guess
perfect conditions but really slow
can't wait for more ducks to show up!

Brant.jpg

now all I gotta do is find a taxidermist that is reasonably priced

When times are tough,
and flocks are small,
take your time,
and kill 'em all!

I took a Mallard drake to Mikes Taxidermy out of Smithville. I wont be picking it up till next weekend but its gunna be $80 for the mallard mounted on a wall plaque in flight. I may be able to post pics next weekend to see the quality of it.

Delhi, Ontario

Do you have a phone number?, looked online but only found expired Kijiji adds
thanks for the help!

Ya a phone number would be great. I got a guy at work whose dad is out of mount pleasant near Brantford. He says he has awards etc but could cost upwards of $300 for one duck so I have always been afraid of doing it.

I have a lovely piece of drift maple I wanted a male and female wood duck mounted on.

How do you prep ducks for the taxidermist?

I was told, double bag the whole bird and carefully put it into the freezer
Then take the frozen bird to the taxidermist , or just take it in right after you shoot it

Hello Dicker,

Nice Brant Goose!

I have shot a few at Presqu'ile while hunting "divers" on the lake side.

Where did you shoot this one? No need to be specific ... just within the unit, inner bay, outer bay or elsewhere as I have never seen one down here.

As for the preparation for a mount ... remember to wash off all blood at the time you shoot the bird and then let it dry out before double bagging and freezing it.

Good show.

Jerome

Congratulations dicker!
After reading this post, I had to research this bird as I have NEVER seen or heard of anyone shooting one of these down here
It was a long ways away from home, to say the least
The majority of brants migrate across to greenland, and along the coast of B.C ending up in California
Usually nests in the Canadian arctic, and Alaska!
Once in a lifetime chance I'd say!
Thanks for the post guys!

Hello Fishn4life,

There are two populations of Brant:

1) The Atlantic Brant migrates down the atlantic seaboard and overwinters along the New Jersey coast.

2) The Pacific Brant (a bit darker) migrates down the pacific coast and overwinters in the Baja California area.

Like I stated in my previous post I have shot a few over in the eastern portion of Lake Ontario but they are not common there.

Consequently I set a personal limit of only one Brant per year.

Jerome

Thanks, il call him on Monday!
Won't give out the "secret" spot -lol- but it was shot in the inner bay Saturday morning

Hi Jerome you say u set your personal limit to one a year when do you get out hunting I have never seen you out do u hunt the unit or out in the bay? My log shows that after a north east storm we have shot some over the last 15 years we have shot 25 out in the inner bay and they make great duck poppers with jalapeño and bacon

quote:
Originally posted by duckman

My log shows that after a north east storm we have shot some over the last 15 years we have shot 25 out in the inner bay and they make great duck poppers with jalapeño and bacon

Hey Mark, does this mean you shot 25 brants in the past 15 years?

Hey duckman, Where's all the pictures?
Sounds almost like he confusing brants with cormorants :D
Everyone that I know that hunt religiously, have never heard of anyone ever shooting a Brant
Btw- good thing you have a picture dicker, or else I wouldn't believe you either!!!
Lol

No pictures did not think it was that big a deal shot 8 in one day four on another shot a few snow geese scooter and other rare ducks and as far as die hards does not get much more of a die hard than me if you go by big rice some time and see a huge spread of home made decoys come by and say hi love meeting other waterfowlers

Maybe you could post some pics of your next ones you get?
I never even knew that any brants visit longpoint, (I guess I'm not the only one)
Not trying to dis-credit you, just never heard of such a thing
I always like to read about all the weird kinds of birds guy come across

Ya we have seen a lot of things out there in some nasty weather it's what keeps us coming back hope this weather changes so we can get to some good diver hunting.

Congratulations Dicker!

It seems every year or so I hear of someone getting into Brant around Long Point. I have heard of quite a few getting shot on the Niagara River and as Buddy Boy said they do show up at the east end of Lake Ontario and St. Lawrence River. They are certainly not common around here but a few seem to show up every year.

Congrats Dicker....... Always cool to see something out of the ordinary... My buddy & I shot a pair but that was a lot of years ago in Long Point Bay....

If Cans r flyin,they will b dyin...

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks