coast guard reports vessel sunk inner bay ?

Old Cut LongPointer

CCG reports five meter vessel submerged in Inner bay approx off Little Rice if my gps on smartphone is correct.
42 35.741 N
080 22.061 W

Anybody hear anything ?

Lots of activity on the VHF 16 around suppertime with Buffalo CG, Sarnia, Port Dover. Three people reported in the water near Little Rice, recovered by a good hearted soul, reported safely delivered to West Pine Road. Winds at the Point around that time were over 70kph. Wouldn't have been a fun ride home. Maybe it is their boat at 5m long.

Lucky guys I must say. Another month and it may have ended worst. Less and less people will be out on the waters to help. Be safe out their. No duck is worth risking my life for.

Good to hear they were saved !
Too bad about losing their gear.
Good I stayed at cottage . You are soooo right live to shoot snother day !
Friday looks better calling for 20 knot SW winds.

I can confirm all three hunters were picked up by a VERY good hearted soul on his way in.
And another Very big THANK YOU to a member on here for his assistance in recovering the downed vessel.
It is no longer a navigation hazard.

No equipment was recovered however. Lost still are two ammo boxes and a backpack with ID. In them. About 100 decs. And a cooler. They all floated away along with a gun in a floater case.
And dozens of other bits and pieces.

Donald86, the boat was a 16' Lund.

Thanks again.
Be safe.

Wow we shall see how many honest people their are out their. Hopefully most if not all this gear finds its way home.

If those involved are comfortable talking about it I would love to know more details. Sounds like it would be an exciting story and could be a lesson in it for all of us who venture on to the bay in challenging conditions.

Something to keep in mind, the Port Rowan Fire Department equipped to go on the water this time of the year. We can respond quicker than Coast Gaurd and OPP this of year in the inner bay. Keep that in mind when dialing 911 and they ask what service you want. We did respond to this call but were delayed cause of the call going through OPP,EMS and Coast Gaurd dispatch first.

I doubt there is even one fire station on the entire north shore of Lake Erie who had the equipment to venture out that night. That's likely why 911 calls are prioritized to the agencies like the CG who have the equipment. You had one 16' boat swallowed up by a 2m wave on the Inner Bay!
Remember these three hunters were successfully recovered by another very brave person who came upon them long before any other rescue boat hit the water. Right place at the right time.

I talked to 2 of the men today in long point testing the motor after cleaning it out. Very very nice guys. He told the whole story to me and I'm hoping he's on hear and may feel like relating it for everyone to read. It made me think more than I do now about going out in any weather. He'd been hunting for 30 years, and also stated that he's hunted in worst. It was just a combination bad things at bad time. Nothing as far as gear has showed up.

Hey all, I am not sure where the boat was actually capsized but there were a bunch if decoys today that had no one around right across from sandboy today. We did stop to have a look and called Fred as well. The decoys did have a name on the bottom. If the person who had the trouble wants to post up or someone who knows them does, I will be happy to share the particulars. One another note, greats day in the bay today! 4 bills and 2 reds and done by 810!

Hey river duck. The boat that capsized was my brothers. We were running the motor today and spoke with pinchel at the launch. I think it's salvageable, considering it was full of sand.

I was not in the boat with him at the time. My boat suffered a bottom end failure the day before, and I went home to get a replacement. As a result, a close friend of mine who was hunting with me this week hopped on my brothers boat that morning to hunt with my brother while I was getting mine fixed.
I did not make it back to the point in time with a borrowed boat to get out to meet them for the night shoot. And was waiting in the cottage for them to return.

I knew there was trouble when they were about 30 min later than they should have been, and I could hear the first ambulance pass by on their way to the park.

That's when they were dropped off by the hunters that picked them up off the sunken boat.

My brothers 16' Lund had a fold up blind bolted to the gunwales and we attached fast grass to it. It was the full length of the boat. And we think that the part that over hung the front of the boat was deflecting water from the waves into the boat.

My brothers friend said the first wave dumped about 5 gal of water in the bow. And less then 10 sec later the next wave filled the boat.
My brother said the motor hit bottom at that time and they stopped. Still upright, but full of water. My friend used his handheld radio to relay their co-ordinates to the us coast guard. And within a few minutes later the boat that picked them up seen him waving the light from his gps in the air and came to investigate.
Those gentlemen got two guys in the boat. That's when my brothers boat flipped over with him in it. He was able to stay on top of it the whole time and actually stayed very dry. His friend was not dressed as well and suffered mild hypothermia by the time he got back to the cottage. My friend was wet and got pretty good frost bite on his hands as he was operating the gps and radio without gloves on.

The next day we went out to recover the boat. We needed the help from a member on here to get it in. Thanks again.

We launched at ackers today and went east from there to the end of turkey point club but found nothing.

Sounds like we were too far East.

The dec's have a home made weight on them that fits over the heads and has one or two tabs on them. Most had the initials KH on the bottom. There was close to 50 bluebill and 50 can's in all.

If anyone finds anything they can contact me at 905-645-4784

Thanks again to everyone for the support.

And yes the most important thing is they all lived to hunt another day, and they will,,,,, once they get their licences and duck stamps replaced.

I think I found one of your cans i'll drop it off at the unit fri if i go there.I'll be at the lake fri afternoon and sat.

'And we think that the part that over hung the front of the boat was deflecting water from the waves into the boat. '

Same thing happened to us with my buddies 15' jon boat. Before we knew it, we were standing in a foot of water, in the dark, way far from shore. Lucky he had 2 bilge pumps running and the battery still worked! Made it back a little wiser. Going to put a solid blind on my new to me Scott Duck boat, but will certainly add a filler piece to act as a wave deflector......not a wave catcher!

Any scott duck boats being used on the point? How do you like them?

D.

Hey D.A.L. I have a 16 ft Scott Duck boat that my father made extensive changes to it . I run a 15 hp motor and have folding side panels and a large front deck with a 2x4 across the back of it to deflect water . You are welcome to come look at it anytime @ 118 Old Cut (Kozak's).With the side panels up I drape fastgrass (8 pieces in all) around the boat and can hide anywhere as boat draws just a few inches of water .Front and rear seats leave plenty of room for decoys/dog .

My account of the events. Hoping some of the info will help others. I was one of the guys in the boat. We hit a large wave that dumped a bunch of water in the front. The boat didn't recover in time before the next.. larger wave.. hit. We are talking seconds. The boat was sunk in 5 seconds. We were standing in the submerged boat up to our waist with the waves hitting us. Nearly flipped at least 3 times. Looking around and contemplating the options if was quite apparent we would not make it to shore. The best decision is to stay with the boat. Much like my hunting partners ..I've been hunting 30+ years.. been in much worse weather on the water.. Didn't see this coming. I have a marine radio that also has FM, GMRS, VHF and weather channels. I also have a Garmin GPS (montana 650). This is the only reason I am able to type this message today. I called a mayday that was picked up by the US Coast guard. They were excellent. After the info was gathered .. including our exact GPS location.. it was turned over to the Canadian coast guard.. also excellent. They called out the boat from Dover and did an all call for anyone on the lake to come help us. I didn't think anyone was listening nor would the Coast Guard from Dover get to us in time. Things looked a little bleak. We had a boat pass by 20 yards off our bow… they thought we were looking for the markers. No fault of theres.. they were very apologetic. I/we have no issues. The second and last boat saw the light from my GPS that I was waving in the air. They were about 30-40 yards to our stern. They came up on us.. can you imagine the sight!? Thats when the boat flipped. The hunter in the bow of our boat got thrown, I rolled with the boat as my feet got caught in the rigging, and the stern hunter/driver managed to get on top of the capsized boat. I managed to get my feet clear and found myself half way to the rescue boat and behind the other guy. As we were making our way over he went under.. very scary moment. He came back up and I got in behind him and pushed him to the rescue boat. I had to swim to the other side to counter balance. We nearly swamped the rescue boat.. also very scary! Once he was in I handed over my radio and GPS.. Yes I still had them in my hands.. wasn't going to give that up. I climbed in and turned for the third guy. We were all shocked when he wasn't there with me.. yet another very scary moment. We didn't realize he managed to get back on the capsized boat. It was hard to see and we had a lot going on. We caught a glimpse and quickly got him aboard. We all had different stages of hypothermia setting in and the conditions were getting worse.. we made no attempts to rescue our gear. Everything was lost. I remember seeing all the lights of the responding EMS/FIRE/POLICE on shore. They eventually caught up to us at the cottage.
A big thanks to all those who responded and helped… You have no idea how grateful we are! As you can imagine I have contemplated all the different scenarios… none of them positive. I still have some frost bite on both hands.. had to take off the gloves to operate the radio and GPS. Otherwise everyone is fine.
What can we take away from this…
If you're going to be out on the lake this time of year.. bring a marine radio. If you can afford to hunt then you can afford a radio. Learn how to use it.. get a licence. They come with GPS built in. You can play tunes and catch the weather reports if nothing else. Cell phones tend to fail fast in the water.. we had lights but they were hard to find when the boat had already sank. NO radio or GPS = crapy outcome!
Most of you reading this are as experienced as we are if not more. I'm not going to get into how you equip your boat. We had a series of factors that contributed to our demise. We have talked about them and the lessons have been learned.
Huge thanks for the help on getting our boat back. You are a class act my friend!
Looks like we drifted a quarter mile and we were in the water for 20-30 min.
I'll keep an eye on this forum and answer any questions.
Our gear and wallets are out there floating in ammo boxes.. so have an eye!! I have one of those red and white ohip cards!!!! Dam

Otherwise we had a great day.. got our limit.. had many laughs.

Cheers..

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks