Burwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feel like even if the wind does pick up for an hour or two it won’t get too rough

@Derkd9, Radar tracking storms is not very good for lightning strike potential (charge in the air).
Use Windy thunderstorm feature. It's more accurate for potential strikes of lightning.

That storm you calculated (lol) had full lightning strike potential inside of 12 km radius. Even though the radar showed the storm on land heading to you as well on water east of your location by Burwell that day. As captains we owe it ourselves to understand the difference between radar storms and lightning strike potential.

Chasing storms is electrifying by boat. - a real rush no question. Look for "When Thunder Roars Crap your drawers" says Lady Erie. For the article about lightning - posted last week.

Saturday After noon Thunder roars this weekend possibly- Via windy.com

@Derkd9, Radar tracking storms is not very good for lightning strike potential (charge in the air).
Use Windy thunderstorm feature. It's more accurate for potential strikes of lightning.

That storm you calculated (lol) had full lightning strike potential inside of 12 km radius. Even though the radar showed the storm on land heading to you as well on water east of your location by Burwell that day. As captains we owe it ourselves to understand the difference between radar storms and lightning strike potential.

Chasing storms is electrifying by boat. - a real rush no question. Look for "When Thunder Roars Crap your drawers" says Lady Erie. For the article about lightning - posted last week.

Saturday After noon Thunder roars this weekend possibly- Via windy.com
I don’t know what you’re getting at.
You were wrong about this morning, and all I’m saying about this afternoon is what’s actually happening is less then what windy days
You’re just regurgitating what a forecast is telling you rather that looking at what’s happening and seeing which way it is trending

@Derkd9 at shore shows 10 kts to get thru to mid lake bouy 12miles out. Driving into those waves to get to smaller ones. Returning over the backs of 10 kts waves. According to windy. Sometimes mid lake is calmer than on shore. lol

@Derkd9 , I wasn't wrong about this morning. Go back to the beginning of this thread. I am sharing my experience with you about the risk of lightning 12 miles around a radar storm. That can't be calculated. Its a risk. Posted an article last week about it.

You are looking at what's happening at the bouy and not what's occurring on shore. I added the windy screen capture above. Mid lake and stateside is calmer right now.

What was wrong about this? Post yesterday at 10am?

"Thursday morning at 9am you would be heading out with a 8kts offshore wind. Not bad - going over the backs to 2/3 ft waves by the time you reach 60 FOW. Around 1 pm the wind changes to on shore 8kts and builds to 10kts by 4pm. Ride in at 10kts is 3.4ft roller. Surfing over the backs of waves both ways. -It's doable wally chop. 20ft boat or greater would be more enjoyable, but you aren't pounding into the waves at least. (Based on current windy.com forecast)"

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay @BayRunner16 so what’s your point to argue everything I’m saying now
Windy says 10knots
Buoy says it was 5.8knots at the time you were saying windy said 10knots.

Maybe you should compare to the buoy data from time to time
I don’t give a crap about the storm from a few weeks ago. I was fine along with the dozen other boats that were out there at the sametime. If the storm was moving as fast as the one I got photos of the other night I would of even got off the ramp before it was on top of us
But clearly the radar showed it moving at an ultra slow speed the whole time it was alive. We had 2 hours I played it safe and only stayed out about 45min with 20min ride there and back
I didn’t go out as far as I normally would that day.
Anywho I don’t need to explain myself to you.
You can stay on shore while others catch fish in 2-3 foot walleye chop.
I don’t blame you tho I would be more concerned if I only had 40hp on my boat as well.

Anywho I’m waiting for the 4pm buoy update before I make any concrete decisions about going out this evening
The wind spike is suppose to be 4-5pm then down from there.
Tomorrow evening looks decent as well, and my colleague is willing to be flexible about what evening night check he does

@Derkd9

The bouy data doesn't help get you back to port with a on shore wind.

Yes my current boat is a small craft 40 hp. Yet I would run side by side with a 20ft boat in all weather. - especially in an aid and assist scenario - as I have few times. Size of the motor doesn't mean much as long as you can handle the wave and recover thru steering. Reliability of the motor is most important. Speed just increases the pounding you take. - It was no different in our 24 ft Crestliner sure you can handle a 6 ft waves but it's still a pounding. When you haul it to over 100 Ontario lakes over the past 20 years- it's been just the right size.

Anyway - some experiences are worth sharing for those who give a crap.
Lightning potential extends well ahead of radar. The Windy thunderstorm data is not radar and useful.

I don't understand what you think I got wrong?

@Derkd9

Windy thunderstorm Feature. -- Example of this Sunday's storm stateside. has Thunderstorm potential across the lake.
Let's see what the bouy tells us. lol.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 4.30.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 4.30.38 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
You are extreme my friend, I don’t use the buoy for thunderstorm predictions thanks for thinking I’ve got to where I am in life by being a complete moron hahahahah

And you got wrong the waves for today you were telling everybody the residual waves from last nights wind was going to have the lake rocking and rolling all day
Where as several people were out fishing today and collected their quick limits
And you argued me when I was saying that it was going to be quite fishable lol

@Derkd9 , You took my rule of thumb to the absurd level to 50Kts. lol That's far from realistic. Basically absurd. How high would a wave be at 50kts? Yes we argued about that - it was unrealistic - if your recall.

Now go back and read what I said about today as being doable and more comfortable in a 20ft boat. I also said the wind direction changes from offshore to onshore so of coarse the rule of thumb does not include as stated (opposing wind forces). - you misunderstood that point or perhaps glossed right over it.

So my friend it appears you have confused what I have stated - or simply misunderstood it.

I usually look for days like today - as said out over back of waves and then back in over the back of waves means a calm transition for that quick limit. It also usually means the bait gets stirred up and the bite improves. Our limit last Sunday in 1.5 hrs demonstrated just that. Wind change from a choppy morning (people noting as such here) we ran out at 3pm were done by 5pm in calmer waters. Windy was bang on to the hour.

Everyone can learn to use Windy.com and it's features to be safer captains. A public service message. haha

Peace Out & Tightlines all.

@BayRunner16
How is that calculation even a rule of thumb?
What would even be the point of using a calculation like that to determine whether you go fishing in the morning…
Why not just check the weather buoy and see what the wave height average was over the past hour
Also if you ever looked over the buoy data you can clearly see the wave height goes up and down by the hour based on what the wind speed does. Clear as day and is all real data not a random calculation…
I have seen it take time for the west winds to build to there max. But when the wind speed goes down so does the wave height the following hours average….

You’re honestly Telling me that you’ve used that calculation to determine the residual waves were going to cause you problems in the morning? I can’t wrap my head around that.
Like maybe if there was no buoy to get real data from I would think soemthing like that would maybe help.. but even then I’d probably drive down to the lake and have a look before I cancel plans because my math equation says it should still be quite wavey.

Anywho sorry for any confusion. And mis reading what you’re trying to say.. I know how it is to get in arguments over texts! Everyone always assumes the worst and read messages with nasty tones in the voice lol!
I’m sure if we went fishing together we would get a long just fine! 👍

@Derkd9 , You took my rule of thumb to the absurd level to 50Kts. lol That's far from realistic. Basically absurd. How high would a wave be at 50kts? Yes we argued about that - it was unrealistic - if your recall.

Now go back and read what I said about today as being doable and more comfortable in a 20ft boat. I also said the wind direction changes from offshore to onshore so of coarse the rule of thumb does not include as stated (opposing wind forces). - you misunderstood that point or perhaps glossed right over it.

So my friend it appears you have confused what I have stated - or simply misunderstood it.

I usually look for days like today - as said out over back of waves and then back in over the back of waves means a calm transition for that quick limit. It also usually means the bait gets stirred up and the bite improves. Our limit last Sunday in 1.5 hrs demonstrated just that. Wind change from a choppy morning (people noting as such here) we ran out at 3pm were done by 5pm in calmer waters. Windy was bang on to the hour.

Everyone can learn to use Windy.com and it's features to be safer captains. A public service message. haha

Peace Out & Tightlines all.

I got windy premium so I can take full advantage of all of the features, and the extra updated forecasts 👍

@Derkd9 , Yes we are both trying to help others out. I am sure we would get along just fine. Text and email communication with no tone is problematic for even the best communicators. No issue here my friend.

Windy has a contribution program yearly as well. Companies using it to save $ often donate to their cause.

Premium is good!

@Derkd9 , Yes we are both trying help others out. I am sure we would get along just fine. Text and email communication with no tone is problematic for even the best communicators. No issue here my friend.

Windy has a contribution program yearly as well. Companies using it to save $ often donate to their cause as well.

Premium is good!
I talked myself out of going this evening because the forecast for tomorrow evening looked better
But now that I’ve seen the updated 5pm buoy data
I should of just gone this evening
And now tomorrow evening doesn’t look as good as what’s actually happening right now.
So I may have screwed myself. Will see tomorrow afternoon what tomorrow evening will be like

Tonight you have to drive thru 10Kts winds to get to lower winds at the bouy.
Friday is all 5kts between 1 to 6 pm. There is the comparison Friday v.s Thursday.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 5.39.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 5.39.20 PM.png
    586.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 5.41.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 5.41.40 PM.png
    627.9 KB · Views: 7
Tonight you have to drive thru 10Kts winds to get to lower winds at the bouy.
Friday is all 5kts between 1 to 6 pm. There is the comparison Friday v.s Thursday.
My windy premium is showing slightly different
And instead of the three hour forecast it shows hourly
So I picked 7pm since I’d likely be out there from 430pm until sunset.

But both saying 13km/hour today west tomorrow east. East wind usually has choppier more un predictable waves. That are generally bigger in comparison to those from the west with the same wind.
And the weather buoy data is showing approx 2.5knots less wind than what windy has been forecasting.
Is what I’m seeing and is why I feel that way.

3E74970E-ADD2-47A1-8264-82EF624C093F.pngF944FF79-8AEF-4A3D-AA50-404737542167.pngAFDF0B2B-6C09-4A00-918A-2CF9FB555C3E.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back