Burwell August 22

plaw64

Hit the water yesterday with Icefisherman..... Set up east of the SandHills in 53 FOW of water... Worked deeper the day went on ending in 58 FOW water. Slow shooting in the morning, but thugs picked up in the pm. Boated 20 eyes 13 silvers. Final count was app 20 for 35. 7 color core, riggers and dipseys all took fish. Body baits were the preferred presentation......... As always another get outing with Emil....

IMG-20130821-00212.jpg

Awesome report. Hoping the winds cooperate for an outing tomorrow with some family.

Thanks for the report

Herefishyfishy

I'm thinking halfway between Burwell and Long Point ,Google sand hills and you will find it easy
Plaw64 are the silver bass tasty ,we caught some last weekend but released them all because we didn't know that anyone kept them from conversations over the radio

Nice fishing Paul. Emil called last night so I already heard. I guess it paid to keep plugging away to resolve all the issues that kept the walleye safe from anglers. With both you and Emil in the boat and willing to stick it out the fish didn't have much of a chance.

Yes Great day yesterday, I'm happy i was able to join emil again to lay a beating on the eyes like previous years and to meet you in person Paul. Was a great day even if we didn't fill the cooler:) We had to work for them and it was chaos at times and also weird why we missed so many but that's fishing. Leadcore... tighten the drag all the way and crank Lesson learned:)

Emil's friend Jason who was also on the boast says they are good eating - just like eating perch.. Gonna give them a try I think. Been hauling in a few good size one lately.........

a couple a weeks ago a friend of mine came to Burwell and caught 13 or 15 silvers and posted that if you like smoked fish try smoking these silver bass,he said that they were delicious.I do not not what kind of wood or marinate he used.There is a post somewhere here about it.if you can find it send him an e-mail.

Emil's friend Jason who was also on the boast says they are good eating - just like eating perch.. Gonna give them a try I think. Been hauling in a few good size one lately.........
Well Paul, I've eaten a bunch in my time and they are good but the taste is closer to whitefish or even Atlantic mackerel than perch. Only advice I have is eat them fresh and also for those who insist on only milder tasting fish like perch and walleye, remove the red meat directly under the skin. The best way to do that is to cut about an eighth of and inch from the skin. My better half will not touch them if I don't do that. Enjoy!

Nice catch!! Thanks for the post. That's the beauty of fishing, trying to figure out what the fish want and at what speeds!! They always taste a little better when you have to work for them I think!! Good job!

Yes, they are tasty smoked with apple wood, never had them, or kept the before, until my dad started keeping tem and smoking them, kinda sshockedd me how tasty they were.

Back