Best fillet knife?

Minnownite

Last 4 years I’ve been using these two sea choice fillet knives. $8 each and work amazing! Atleast I don’t have better to compare lol. 6” to take off fillet. 9” to take ribs out and skin. Was thinking cutco? See link https://www.cutco.com/products/product.jsp?item=fishermans-solution

anyone use one? Still in the fence for electric knives.
The sharpener I got 3 years ago at Toronto boat show. Works great too!

Attachments

• A0113A30-D257-40E6-8678-65EAC2DD62DF.jpeg
    A0113A30-D257-40E6-8678-65EAC2DD62DF.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 135
  • 3514BB7E-B519-4EB7-9BAA-000492030A9D.jpeg
    3514BB7E-B519-4EB7-9BAA-000492030A9D.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 143
  • 5D4E97E8-CF8A-4DC1-8B21-4289DC51ED16.jpeg
    5D4E97E8-CF8A-4DC1-8B21-4289DC51ED16.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 141
Love to use manual fillet knives back country or for low numbers. Having said that when summers bumping and the walleye are busy I LOVE my rapala heavy duty electric..... hammer out a fish a minute with that bad boy and not over heat. Worth the money.

Last 4 years I’ve been using these two sea choice fillet knives. $8 each and work amazing! Atleast I don’t have better to compare lol. 6” to take off fillet. 9” to take ribs out and skin. Was thinking cutco? See link https://www.cutco.com/products/product.jsp?item=fishermans-solution

Cutco is fantastic knife. $235.00 will get you a pair that will do the same job as your $16.00 pair with less sharpening. Once every 8-10 fish.

anyone use one? Still in the fence for electric knives.
The sharpener I got 3 years ago at Toronto boat show. Works great too!

I had the Cutco which is very expensive and has great steel but I gave it to a friend in Cuba. I only use electric now way faster and easier in my opinion than any manual knife. I also had their skinner that was fantastic on moose which has the toughest hide of anything that walks. I could skin the whole moose without sharpening where every other knife I used over the years had to be sharpened 2 or 3 times during the process.

The one time i went to lake O last year i used my manual knife. and brother in law used his electric. those ribs were so soft the manual worked way better and easier than his electric. Was this a fluke? or are salmon/trout much softer boned fish?

I don't have any problem on any fish with an electric. Most people want to force cut like they do with a manual instead of letting the knife do the work. Once you get used to it you will never go back trust me.

The yellow handle Henckel boning knife from cabellas. A bit stiff for the ribs but holds an edge and cheap . Same one you see in butcher shops. Actual Henckel fillet knives good too but I like a thicker blade.

Black and decker electric carving knife for the slice And skin
Any knife to debone but I run a Grohmann filet knife Canadian made
Edge lasts forever but you’re gonna pay for it

If I choose to clean what I bring home manually, (which generally means I didn't catch much) I generally use my Victorinox boning knife I've had since my days as a chef (long time ago.)

Otherwise, when I have had a good day and I've got lots to clean, I've got a Rapala heavy duty battery operated electric (came with 2 batteries) I've had and used for the last two seasons. I was thinking I would have to replace a blade this year, but now with the uncertainty of when we'll be able to go fishing (if at all) and IF I'll catch anything when it happens depending on when that is, I may not have too especially if they don't reopen the piers and lift the physical distancing restrictions because it isn't safe to do so. If that ends up being the case, then my fishing season this year will be a complete right off.

Cutco fillet for general work. Corded Rapala for quantity work. Love the Grohman Canada knives. Will need to look into their fillet knife.

I don't think you can beat an electric knife for speed. I can do 50 Perch J-cut fillets ready for the freezer in 1-1/2 hours.... :) ? ? ??...The problem is finding 50 Perch.....LOL :) :)

Cutco knives are to expensive for this guy.I normally grab a couple Rapala manual knives when they come on sale at $9.99 once a year.

Nothing beats a BUBBA... electric (corded), lithium cordless or one of the 8 or 9 different manuals!!

Their cordless leaves everyone in their dust.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks