Anyone have a line on Low recoil or Managed recoil 12ga slugs here?

WinSX3Tom

Looking to find a low recoil or managed recoil slugs to try out in a smooth bore 12Ga winchester 1300 for my wife.

Didn't know if anyone knew any shops around here that stock them. Im going to check Freds on wednesday when I'm off.

I heard of ammo reduced recoil loads but never tried them. .... I can tell you that the limbsaver makes my 270 wsm tika lite synthetic rifle enjoyable to shoot, the recoil before I installed it was nasty...and I am not a baby.. Not sure what you have for a shotgun, limbsaver offers recoil pads for firearm specific precision fit pads, and thats the one you would want..not the slip on..
It advertises recoil reduction up to 70%...not sure if its that much but it tames recoil to make all the difference...you can read the positive reviews as they have been around for years...I bought and installed mine over 12 years ago...

The firearm will be enjoyable to shoot and make precise shots, no flinching and reduce muzzle jump...you then can go ahead and shoot your regular ammunition...

when I got my girl friend into shooting and hunting I accomadated her with all new & hers, a 20 guage pump 870 express... a 50 cal T/C truimph ML and a tika lite 30 06 rifle. I didn't have to install limbsavers...and her shooting performance at the range and out in the field became very impressive

I hope my reply is helpful and maybe there is something there to consider...

Last edited:
It has a limbsaver on it but they are a very light gun. Just around 6.5 lbs with synthetic stocks.

I was reading an article that shooting the heavy fast slugs out of a shotgun is comparable to shooting a. 338 win mag.

thats great you got a limbsaver on it...I would think that should do it..you can measure recoil and compare recoil on Chuck hawks recoil tables for rifes and another table comparing shotgun and rifle recoils...I use the rifle recoil table for a guide...

absoulutely the lighter the firearm the increase in felt recoil..6.5 lbs is on the light side for a 12 guage...
adding weight to the firearm can reduce recoil..and that can make a difference..

good luck finding some lighter loads to shoot..federal might offer some..lots of dealers around...

buck2_1_.jpg

So I finally got out with the Auto 5 and the mod. barrel . What a difference with the low recoil slugs . Was at 50 cause I wanted to see what the 2 3/4 - 9 pellet challenger buck shot would shoot like . Very happy with the slugs ( although once again , only at 50 yds. ). 3 different brands . The 1st ( I think a discontinued ) Winchester Ranger touched the bullseye the next 2 Remington and Federal touched each other about 4 " high of center . It took 2 shots before I actually got 2 pellets on the target . The rest were scattered all over a 4' x 4' piece of cardboard with 7/9 hitting , then a barely 8/9 pellets on the second shot . I'm still going to try some of the big name stuff , but I'm not liking it so far. Lot to be said for the higher count 3" buckshot . Curious now also to see what the low recoil slugs does in the Remmy . definitely a lot easier on the shoulder .

ya magnum...buckshot are for real close shots..can also be very effective for pushers driven deer..like the ones you almost step on...lol

just wondered if you guys found some low recoil slugs to shoot...hopefully you did Tom for the new hunter in your group..

Last edited:
ya magnum...buckshot are for real close shots..can also be very effective for pushers driven deer..like the ones you almost step on...lol

just wondered if you guys found some low recoil slugs to shoot...hopefully you did Tom for the new hunter in your group..
I picked up some of the Remington ones they got in and while I was there , I was looking at what else they had and found the Federals ( they didn't realize they had ) also . The write ups by Chuck Hawkes say these are still good for 100 yds. which I will test before season starts . Would like to find more of the rangers but I'm buying more of the others in case . If I'm blocking the fields I'll have the 11 87 , but inside the bush it may be the Auto 5 or the 20 . Do you know if companies like Limb saver make slings that will attach to to a shotgun without swivels and don't damage the butt or barrel ( maybe attach under the cap ) ? One way or the other I'd like to see whats out there , before putting swivels in the stock . I had one that clamps on the barrel , but even tightening a lot allows for some movement on the barrel when carried on your shoulder and I don't want that (bluing ) .

Well magnum, I must say I am impressed with the fact your puttin in the hours of time & effort with your huntin ammo, Once we find an accurate load for what distance, its good practice hittin the bullseye and a confidence builder once opening day arrives. Myself I took alot of time studying hundreds of different ammo.. velocity/trajectory charts.. that also helped in selecting what calibre & brand model new rifle I wanted to hunt with. I spent countless hours bench shooting rifle & muzzleloader at the outdoor range where I was a long time member otter valley gun club. Ya theres alot more to it then making your gun go bang...lol

Hey magnum you mentioned remington & federal slugs ..these are low recoil right. I assume they are 2 3/4" with what weight in ozs is the slug and FPS at the muzzle ..chuck hawkes rates low recoil slugs to a maximum range of 100 yards..thats pretty good, then I assume there not rifled slugs, if so that would reduce velocity... question penetration and most important question accuracy at 100 yds, I would want them to shoot from a rest at best a 3 to 4 inch circle at 100 yards, is that obtainable with a no scope shotgun...Hey I am still learning here and I would like to hear it from an experienced shotgunner like you..

Sorry magnum I don`t know any other way to attach a sling.
Ya a sling is a comfortable must have for me, especially when there is walking time envolved and also carrying & protecting my scoped firearms. The sling is the best way to go with 2 free hands. Its also the best way to go traveling on my quad.

Last edited:
Triggers had the low recoil Remingtons. They shoot super high though like 8-10" at 50 yards.
Magnum found them there for me too. I went back in and bought 5 more boxes for my wife.

They are 1200 fps 1 Oz slugs. You honestly don't even feel them recoil at all.

Triggers had the low recoil Remingtons. They shoot super high though like 8-10" at 50 yards.
Magnum found them there for me too. I went back in and bought 5 more boxes for my wife.

They are 1200 fps 1 Oz slugs. You honestly don't even feel them recoil at all.
Did you try the Federals Tom . They have them also . Federal Truball . Kind of a copper colored box . Although they shot almost exactly the same as the Remingtons in my gun ( just about 4" high ) , they may work different in yours . I can tell you one thing though . Just cleaning the barrel out now and I don't know if it's the slugs or the buck shot , but for 4 shells , can't believe the crap coming out of it !
Well magnum, I must say I am impressed with the fact your puttin in the hours of time & effort with your huntin ammo, Once we find an accurate load for what distance, its good practice hittin the bullseye and a confidence builder once opening day arrives. Myself I took alot of time studying hundreds of different ammo.. velocity/trajectory charts.. that also helped in selecting what calibre & brand model new rifle I wanted to hunt with. I spent countless hours bench shooting rifle & muzzleloader at the outdoor range where I was a long time member otter valley gun club. Ya theres alot more to it then making your gun go bang...lol

Hey magnum you mentioned remington & federal slugs ..these are low recoil right. I assume they are 2 3/4" with what weight in ozs is the slug and FPS at the muzzle ..chuck hawkes rates low recoil slugs to a maximum range of 100 yards..thats pretty good, then I assume there not rifled slugs, if so that would reduce velocity... question penetration and most important question accuracy at 100 yds, I would want them to shoot from a rest at best a 3 to 4 inch circle at 100 yards, is that obtainable with a no scope shotgun...Hey I am still learning here and I would like to hear it from an experienced shotgunner like you..

Sorry magnum I don`t know any other way to attach a sling.
Ya a sling is a comfortable must have for me, especially when there is walking time envolved and also carrying & protecting my scoped firearms. The sling is the best way to go with 2 free hands. Its also the best way to go traveling on my quad.
My eyes can't see a red dot on a shoot and see at 100 yds . Lol . But I hope if I'm on my stool that I use now , if I have to block for for any length of time , that i can shoot off my knee like I did at 50 next time I practice , If I can hit inside the 6" shoot and see 75 and those 4 " shots will drop closer to the bull , as there is no red dot on the deer either and it is usually moving . Lol . Fosters in a shotgun , don't usually do as well as sabots , so I can only do what I can with what I have . And you seldom have a hundred yard shot in the bushes we hunt .

happy to hear Tom you got some low recoil slugs....I did manage to find and plug in remington low recoil rifled slug with same velocity & weight

1200 fps MV and 1 oz (=438 grains) on the nikon spot on ballistics technology site for distance & drop

8.47 inches high at 50 yards gives you a 150 yds zero...

so with that trajectory & distance I plugged in these distances below

25 yards is 4.41 inches high

75 yards is 10.36 inches high

100 yards is 9.77 inches high

that gives you an idea on range with 8.47 inches high at 50 yards...

this measured trajectory is from a rifled bore with a rifled slug that puts spin on the slug giving you increased velocity...

I was reading remington rifled slugs can be shot out of a smooth bore.. velocity would be reduced...

This is my first time measuring any slug performance..

my opinion ..you got a high flyer there that could be compensated for and used effectively out to under -75 yards

I am heading to the aylmer gun range tomorrow with a member ..makin sure my rifle & muzzleloader are zeroed in...

Ya, I managed to put her rear sight at the back end of the rib and mine sits on top as the challengers shoot far flatter.

Hers is on the left mine on the right.

Attachments

• 20171023_101316.jpg
    20171023_101316.jpg
    552.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20171023_101615.jpg
    20171023_101615.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 9
thanks Tom for the pictures, just to clarify, and please correct me if i am wrong, both are smooth bore, not a rifled bore

your rear sight is fixed or adjustable for elevation...can you explain..

I bought a high vis adjustable rear sight for my 870 rem pump and mounted just the magnetic single bead at the end last turkey season

Oh ya I kinda got busted at the 60 yd range and so I took a head shot while he was brisk walkin off the field & missed um...lol

your vertical picture looks like you can mount a base/rail for a scope to the recievers on your pump shotguns..looks like i see fastners on top..

I don't recognize the make and model...

next tom turkey hunt...I better have it together...ya my new SX4 that is... looking at options for optics

maybe one day I will shoot my first turkey...thinking about first...don't forget a nice deer for the new member in your group..Tom...lol

Last edited:
They are both winchester 1300s and all 3 of them I have are drilled and tapped for scopes but honestly I don't like shooting scopes for deer hunting we do most of our hunts sitting on stand in morning or I am a pusher as I am one of the young bucks. Most shots are under 60 yards. Out of the 4 does I have shot all have been under 40 yards.

The first year I went out I had an Mossberg 835 ulti-mag with a Bushnell Red/ green Dot mounted. I was successful but I just prefer fiber open sights.

The rear sights are snap on/ magnetic and non adjustable but on my wifes dropping it down on the tapered part of the vent rib made up for the rather high shots and shoots lower and flatter now at 50.

These two are 21" smooth bores that we are shooting this year.

The last 2 years I shot my other 1300 with a rifled deer barrel with Williams adjustable fire sights. (awesome by the way).

This year I just wanted to try something different so I bought another 1300 with the 21" VR smoothbore.

Trust me $500 by the time I put the tru glo sights on it isn't worth what the difference in ammo cost is between hornady SST or Challengers.

I'm one of those guys that can't leave well enough alone lol.

I'm even trying the Pistol grip stock on my gun this year just cause.

I like the simplicity of rifled foster slugs in a smooth bore over the rifled barrel. Rifled barrels seem to foul and plug full of plastic after about 5 shots and accuracy falls off. I found no loss in accuracy out of the smooth bores even after a dozen shots.

congrats Tom on your deer huntin shotgun seasons... I agree with your approach making improvements along the way with your firearms...experience and confidence comes in time...its what ever works and feels comfortable...not to mention we are looking for the next best thing..its good to change up & learn..

ya muzzleloaders have come a long way...
I started shootin open sights with a new T/C renegade hunter and a couple weeks later shot my first deer with it back in 1988, a fork horn buck over 100 yd shot..after that I moved up to a buckhunter pro and mounted my first scope a 1X4 bushnell banner and worked great..mounted same scope on a CVA wolf that killed lots...There is lots of effective ways to hunt deer, I enjoyed walkin & stalkin...absoulutely the most rewarding for me...today I take the easy road, sitting at dusk..either on a active field or bush lot...several years ago I got my best & last set-up a T/C bone collector and mounted a Leopold Slam 3 X 9 scope...I put premium burris rings and locktited them for life..lol...it shoots a pretty magnum load out to 200 yds..I tell myself I can't get any better then that...ya my last deer with it was 2 seasons ago..second evening..a mid size 10 pt buck shot at -60 feet at last light..
I hunted elk & caribou last season..so ya I missed out on deer huntin last year, so this season eager to hunt a buck..I won't say big...lol...ya headin to sunset country this weekend..the weather is lookin good..i hope so..thats the most important for a successful hunt..
good luck to the new member in the group..I am impressed with that.. ya just wondered about shootin your ammo...you have it all figured out Tom..
Hey November will be here soon...Happy Huntin Hunters..

50 yards with the low recoil Remingtons.

Fairly happy with those results. Picture is of her gun shooting rem. First 2 shots were low, moved sight up just a bit and although it's right a couple inches the group was decent.

My new 1300 with the same barrel didn't shoot as good with challengers as my wife's gun did with them. Out of hers I shot a 1.5" 50 yards group two weeks ago. Today that newer gun was shooting 4" groups at 50.

I only ran a bore swab thru the barrel when I got it. Turns out it was mega leaded and I think that's why accuracy was crap. I had to run a brass brush thru about 30 times to Peel out all the lead with hoppes.

Going to have to try it again.

4" is okay but not good enough.

Attachments

• 20171027_140430.jpg
    20171027_140430.jpg
    436 KB · Views: 6
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks