any birds being had?

One of these days I would love to hunt Mitchell's Bay for divers . Is it similar to hunting the head of the Bay - I know you have to be within a certain distance from a weed bed but wouldn't that make things awfully crowded there ?

It is a little like hunting Big Rice Bay on a busy day. The area around Mitchells Bay is really small and only holds a few boats. Some days it is a really long run to find a spot to hunt. It is the same rules as Long Point for hunting near a shore or natural weedbed. Add in that you can't hunt near Walpole and it really limits the opportunities. There are even more private clubs in the area than LP and all the best spots are staked and private.
As Lpgar said, the lake is full of birds but you can't get near them. There is nowhere near the fishing boat traffic that LP has to annoy the birds and if it isn't blowing 90 you might as well stay home. You need lots of boat under you as the birds don't move until it is too rough to boat comfortably.
I have family in the area and lived near there for a few years. I have a few alternatives available and I use them.

Paul

thanks for the lunch bag let down on the hunting there... is there anything like the unit?...always wanted to go to walpole island..watched them hunt at bradly's marsh a little steep for me ,but maybe some say

There is no public hunting area like the crown marsh at Long Point. There are numerous guided hunting opportunities on Walpole Island and not all of them are overpriced. It is nice to not have to worry about anything other than getting yourself there. I have done that a couple of times and enjoyed it.
Bradley's is very expensive but folks I know who have hunted there have had a great experience. It is too rich for me. I had a hunt at Little Rice Bay this year with a friend who regularly hunts Bradley's. My friend had never hunted Long Point before. Three of us shot 14 birds in a couple of hours and we had a blast. I think my friend would trade Bradley's for that any day.
There are a number of professional guides working out of Mitchell's Bay. I have met quite a few of them and they all seem to work hard for their clients and do it for a fair price. That might be a good way to try things out. They know where the birds are working, have quality equipment and are not afraid to make an 8 mile run if that is what it takes to get on birds.

Paul

An 8 mile run to get on birds ? We used to run from our Channel @ Old Cut Blvd. down to Sawlog /Courtright Ridge (10 plus miles ) in a 14 footer with a 35 hp on it and a west wind as well all the time. Now we are older and wiser we haven't been past Pottohawk in a few years .
There used to be good diver shooting down along that shoreline past Pottohawk and at one time we used really big boats -18ft Starcraft Holiday with 140 hp and the top up all covered in burlap with a curtain closing the under roof part. Even killed mallards there and the odd goose . Some of the old stories from hunting there are best told around the campfire or livingroom with several adult beveridges so the names of hunters involved can be repeated.
A friend from Ohio did well on Cans @ Mitchell's Bay this year using a "sneak boat" . Seems not as much enjoyment hunting that way as you can't beat having the birds decoy right into you .Even after you miss you say "Boy did they ever decoy nice !"

Hey Sonny, I think I know that fellow with the sneakboat. I hunted and fished LP with him and his dad a few years ago.

Paul

Yes Paul that's him .I helped him find a cottage to rent on his first trip up here and then the next year he brought his Dad who had fished here before.I heard from BD that he limited out on Cans using the "sneak boat " and I believe BD went down there to hunt with him as well after that. It still seems like "meat hunting " to me and as I said you can't beat having birds decoy into you whether it's Cans ,redheads , bluebill or puddle ducks it's one of the best parts of hunting I enjoy and sometimes I manage to hit some of them even !

quote:
Originally posted by ship wrecked

nothing like cupped and committed

I agree with you guys completely. I am not a big fan of pass shooting for the same reason. You can't beat the sight of birds hanging over the decoys.

ship wrecked... I sent you an email.

Paul

there is nothing like seeing ducks like this
377381_10150367656117563_575882562_8387647_361130830_n.jpg

Gotta love it. While I have a preference for hunting over water, I have had some very memorable field hunts.

This picture was taken in the DU field at the Unit a few years ago.

100_0677.jpg

Paul

hunted a corn field by the Bradley Marsh, just after New years done with a limit in 2 hours, over 10000 mallards using the corn fields, probably one of my best hunts in a long time.

Nothing like big Fat Mallards:D Will post pics once I figure it out.

what did it cost to hunt bradley marsh and would you go again? love to see some pics..photobucket them.send me an email about your trip please. thanks terry

It was right next door, to the bradley on private land, no public allowed.

Hunting was GREAT, 10,000 mallards feeding in the field about 750 yards away,

Ducks, Ducks,

quote:

what did it cost to hunt bradley marsh and would you go again? love to see some pics.

I looked it up out of curiosity. http://www.bradleyhuntclub.ca/rates.htm

$870 + $56 for the guide. [B)] Wow.....

I have a friend with a lot more money than me who goes every year. They do an afternoon/morning hunt and stay the night. He really enjoys it and they always seem to get into birds.

If you think about it... he didn't buy a boat, doesn't keep a dog or have any of the other expenses. I hate to think about what this costs me a year and I hunt public land on my own or with friends.

Paul

quote:

I have a friend with a lot more money than me who goes every year. They do an afternoon/morning hunt and stay the night. He really enjoys it ...thats all that matters one word enjoys..

No doubt. The dog alone cost enough! Food, vet, etc.

It has its place. I hunt at least 3 days a week though, that would get expensive! LOL! C'mon Loto MAX!

Hey when does the extended season start? Any geese around these parts I hear some out where I live Brantford.

quote:

Hey when does the extended season start? Any geese around these parts I hear some out where I live Brantford.

The late season goose hunt is Feb 25th to March 3rd. Its only open in municipalities where Sunday hunting is NOT permitted. So, Norfolk doesn't get the late hunt.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks