Afternoon Re Rents for walkouts or canoe accessible points.

If I was a die hard duck hunter I would of shot the early teal and woodies..and then the widgeon and gadwall flocks are plentiful...now its almost time for mallard mania...the redheads are here all ready and they are quality when it comes to shootin and eatin...I don't waste time...I move around for action...countin on one location for heavy duty ongoin action doesn't work for me...I apply that mindset to all my huntin and fishin...its just common sense that timing your different locations is everything...

If I was young I would of liked to become a professional big and small game and fishing guide...I think I could of made a successful career doing it. I would choose either Alberta or British Columbia as they have alot of different animals to hunt and BC for waters to fish. A good guide can make upwards of $500 a day counting your tips. That means you got to be good. I love the scouting part going out searching for animals. I keep my binos and spotting scope in my truck and go out and look at mothernature right in my neighbourhood...thats what a good outdoorsman is all about...its not just the shooting...but then again i enjoy goin to the rifle range and hittin the bullseye with my rifle...heading back to the range on the weekend with new ammo to shoot for NFLD caribou...I wanna be ready for that just incase up to 400 yard shot my last one was a 370 yd alberta elk if ya seen the pic...all my big game shots out in NFLD have been over 300 yards...the outfitters say 150 to 200 yds for caribou...well I have learned to double the distance for the reality of the animals and the huntin areas they flourish...vast bogs surrounded by timber and the open barren tundra...and all the lakes mountains with valleys and river bottoms...NFLD is a gem for huntin and only 20 hours and a ferry ride away...you can fly with Westjet into Deer lake in under 3 hours right here from London ...they fly there everyday...there is also ground transportation service right to your house with your meat and antlers..I am scarred my rifle scope will get knocked...But I think I might try it sometime...

Last edited:
if your planning on trying hullett pack light if your taking a canoe there is very little water depth, even with a flat bottom canoe its a struggle to get to any blind there right now need a lot of rain to make it worth the drive was there last week , pup stayed in canoe not enough water to swim to muddy for him to walk, did get 2 mallards thou.

Not sure what Mick has against LPB or even if he knows what he is talking about. Seems like he has lots else to do rather than shoot ducks. I have hunted all the places he mentions in my 40+ years chasing waterfowl and the lesson I take from it is just how lucky we are to have all these great choices in SW ON. I used to hunt Hullet a lot when I lived closer, had some good shoots there, some very slow and some meiotic, that is hunting. When I moved closer to LPB I started hunting there more and had similar results although I know I have had more SPECTACULAR hunts at LP. However that is not every trip out. I have always had great hunts at Walpole however I don't think it is fair to compare a $500 guided hunt on the reserve to the $20 public hunt at LPB. Given you are only allowed six birds either place I think LP is a bargain on a cost/bird basis ;).

In any case if you are a regular guy just looking for a chance to get out don't let Mick talk you out of LP. I can't promise it will be spectacular but it certainly can be on the right day. It is affordable and reasonably close for many people. I doubt you will feel you wasted your day. Certainly a lot better than sitting on the couch at home wishing you were hunting.

Hey there wetfootwilly thats great your the manager at the long point unit...I have the map of the unit from several seasons ago ...I was wondering if you could post Saturdays results for birds?..I was goin to try a couple of the shooting stake locations...can you tell me how stake 17 and 31 has been doin for birds and what is the best wind direction for those locations...I am thinkin a west or a east?...but I have'nt been down there for awhile..I recieved all the information regarding the entire unit for regulations and how the system works to get the hunters out huntin when I was huntin ducks down there...to let you know my last hunts were in November 2011 and my map is dated 2009 ...what changes have been made to blind and stake locations since then. and I use to pay $15 a day so now its $20...so not a big deal there...

the mallards are hot and heavy right now..buddy and his 3 buddies took 24 corn fed mallards on sat in under 2 hours.. so ya I want to get a couple limits in this month so I am buying my duck stamp for November 1st. I got lots of loads put away so I want to burn off a few boxes..if it is worth a trip down there???...maybe you could send me a pm on specific action..that would be appreciated or i could give ya a call down there one day...I am looking to fast track on some hot and heavy mallard shootin..the birds should be gettin good but? .I don't have the time to get on it to much...But I got my duck gear ready to go...and when I get back from caribou huntin I will be deer huntin archery for a buck...so I am thinkin on a few inbetween duck hunts..ya I am missin the muzzle loader hunt next week..bummer trade off for a nice bull double shovel might be worth it for nice horns...at least I got a ten pointer last season...

Ya there is always walpole through the week is better I think..shooting redheads there are very nice birds...rondeau has good numbers of red heads also you can see lots of them roosting down on rondeau bay with your binos ..what about long point is there lots of red heads?

Mick you sound like the type of guy that can get on the fast track to hot and heavy mallard action without anyone's help! Good luck on your fall endeavours!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks