Afternoon Re Rents for walkouts or canoe accessible points.

WinSX3Tom

Hi gents,

Would actually try to get down to the unit this year I've only been around for 4 or 5 years and still never tried. Seems kind of intimidating as I don't know anything.

When is the best time to show up for Re rents either during the week or on weekends?

I work shifts so I can usually get out during the week.

My dog is itching to get out as am I.

I'm more apt to learn the unit in the daylight than try and find my way around in the AM.

Is the office right off erie ave or is it further into the park?

Thanks for any help.

You have to get on the re-rent list. There's a couple ways to do this. Show up at the unit before 5am and park in one of the spots in the re-rent lineup. Or show up at the waterfowl office (I think after 6am, someone else may verify that) and ask to have your name put on the list. If you live near by, you can go home and snooze a while before you have to be back. Re-rent times are 10am, 12pm, and any time after 2pm. To my knowledge, if a blind hasn't been rented that day, you can take it any time.

To get to the office, turn right as soon as you pass the first gate into the park. There's a sign that directs you that way (ignore the do not enter sign there.)

If you end up liking the unit, consider a sustaining membership. It allows you to call in after 6am to be put on the re-rent list along with some other perks.

Walkouts can be pretty good. #1, 2, 5, 6, 7 are fairly easy to get to. #3 and #4 are a pretty good hike. With the canoe, you can put it in at the end of Howey Ave. and get to #10, 18, 19, 21, 22, etc. relatively safe since they're inside the marsh. There's also the big Creek blinds, though I've never been to them personally, a canoe would get you there.

Last edited:
thanks for the details. Although I have never hunted the unit, i have hunted the bay a lot. I was wondering some of the ins and outs of hunting the unit. I want to take my son out with me for an afternoon hunt on a walk out blind. much appreciated!

Hey Marshall...there are several walkout blinds available....u can get more info from the "long point waterfowlers association" website or drop by or call the Unit....
U can show up at the unit anytime to rent out a blind...mon wed fri and sat...20 bucks get u a blind for the day...u will need chest waders or hip waders to access most of the
blinds...ur son can get away with rubber boots at blinds 1 and 2 and 5...the others blinds he will require waders

Hey Marshall...there are several walkout blinds available....u can get more info from the "long point waterfowlers association" website or drop by or call the Unit....
U can show up at the unit anytime to rent out a blind...mon wed fri and sat...20 bucks get u a blind for the day...u will need chest waders or hip waders to access most of the
blinds...ur son can get away with rubber boots at blinds 1 and 2 and 5...the others blinds he will require waders
Thank you so Much! I was wondering which would be the best. I have a map of the blinds, so I can see which ones you are talking about. I appreciate it!

I'm not sure where your getting ur information mick but I disagree with your comments. I've read ur past posts on this site and hv found them to be informative however your comments above are misleading. I work at the Long Point Unit and I can attest to the amount of birds and variety harvested. Waterfowlers who know how
to set their spreads, call the birds and are good shots, "more often than not" bring in their limit of birds at Long Point - several double man limits as well as single limits
were taken this past weekend with a variety of ducks...woodies, teal, mallard ,gadwalls, redheads, ring necks, coot, pintails, blacks, spoonbill, bluebills, wigeons as well as geese. I will also disagree with you on the rental system....though it may be not your cup of tea....it works very well for the hundreds of hunters I see through the season. The marsh you mention east of clear creek (Hahn Marsh) is presently dry...it is not huntable. I have been to Rondeau twice and they have a very good setup and hunting opportunities. I also disagree with your opinion a 3 o4 bird harvest by two hunters in a morning was not a good hunt. As I've mentioned prior, I've read many of your
posts on 68 and have found them to be informative and accurate...why don't u dust off the dekes and give LPWA another shot....drop on down to the unit...I would be happy to talk duck talk with you lol....we also post the amount of birds harvested daily and the blinds where they were taken and will give you an idea the hunting opportunities
available at the Long Point Marsh!

hey wetfootwilly I was just tryin to help out a fellow hunter that wants to shoot some birds....I am happy to hear you had some recent LPB duck limits taken...absoulutely you have to know how to call and set your decoys up...you also have to get that wind blowin and blowin the right way for different blind locations...huntin is huntin...but if the birds are not flyin in that area it can be tuff and I am sure you know what i mean by 10 % of the hunters shoot 90 % of the birds when your talkin waterfowl experience...I have a couple waterfowl buddies and they keep me up to date on the duck huntin..the one guy does hunt LPB but does not do that great from what I heard???...I guess I would have to find out myself on a good windy and wet duck day in November for LPB...happy huntin buddy

Ya thanks for refreshin my memory on Hahn marsh....I thought it might of dried up but then I thought all the rain we had ...big creek marsh thought it would of filled up...thats to bad as that was a good spot for duck huntin years ago...we used a canoe and shot lots of ducks back in there
anyway...hullet marsh is another gem of a spot and its free too..worth a call up there to see if there is any action..I think duck numbers in general are up this season...I will tell ya one thing the western provinces sure have alot of birds...just incredible the huge flocks of the different geese and ducks I seen on my way out and back from Alberta...

i don't hunt the unit very much ..sat I hunted port rowan for an evening shoot it was terrible one mallard.it was the only duck that came near us out of the few we seen ..seen big flock out in the bay by ec10 (100's)

I've hunted the unit for about 7 years. You definitely need to know where to hunt it and when (wind). Although I've had great success in the past, this year has been slow for me personally. BUT, the wind direction we've been getting hasn't been ideal for the blinds I like and am use to so that may be the big factor. We've been getting solid North (NE and NW) winds steady for over a week and it looks like thats going to continue for a bit yet. Guess I'll have to change my game plan.

I've been hunting waterfowl since about 1993, mostly on private property. But with a wife, kids, house, etc, it's nice to have a place like the unit to go and hunt and know there's always birds there. Scouting fields and sloughs became a full time job after a while. I do miss shooting a 4 man limit of ducks in the morning and dropping a deer in the afternoon with my hunting group, but sadly a lot of those guys have moved on. And at 40 years old, I've just come to appreciate time in the boat blind with my one furry hunting buddy.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

Ill try and get down there one day this year.

When does the unit close for the season? At ice up?

I would like to add if you want some of the best ontario duck huntin action possible I would focus on the upcoming northern flocks of migrating mallards. In November is the best time to experience the large flocks coming from the north. I have witnessed huge flocks of mallards in past seasons. the locations are not cut and dry...timing and location is everything...you need to prescout for birds and take your binos and get others to help too...make your phone calls to rondeau and especially hullet marsh to the north...i have seen huge mallard flocks there and in the cut corn and bean fields north of the marsh and other locations where the corn is down. Pack your magnum loads in number 2 shot...them northern mallards seem to wear bullet proof vests and you need to pound them hard to knock them down...it is nice to see your limit of green heads full of kernals of corn....

Last edited:
Winsx3 I shoot the park a lot and i can say almost every time my brother and i hunt we are last pick in the morning on saturdays and we generally do well with shooting full limits quite often and we generally shoot less desirable blinds.

remember your paying to hunt at LPB... there should be limits of birds to shoot on some days...one of the better pay to shoot choices I think is walpole island with many different native guides available. Some of them guarantee limits of quality birds. They will let ya shoot ducks until your arm falls off..lol...buddy goes there alot for tons of ducks...he has necklaces of duck bands from walpole and gives the dead ducks back..lol..you can get some of the best mallard duck calls from the natives at walpole...remember there are lots of duck pkgs on LSC...but don't waste your time and big money..I know better now.. sure you can get lots of birds but the cost is triple with some.. go shoot at walpole out of a boat or a canoe and or blind ...spend the extra and go one on one ..you will be satisfied you did and want to go back...I got one of the guides phone numbers if interested..hope that helps you guys that are watchin paint dry at LPB...lol

Last edited:
hi mick... can you help me out here...when is the last time you hunted rondeau or Walpole island? I want to know what the current situation is there? And was the last time you hunted LPB?

duck shooting at the lake is not what it use to be not even close its been dropping every year for about 5-10 ..we would go out and see tons of birds everywhere from brfore the season started till freeze up.dont get me wrong still birds and good shoots but there not as often..

Call the rondeau waterfowl unit and confirm action @519-674-1775
Go up to hullet Marsh and do some prescouting ...some parts of the marsh has dried up...the webcam on the baited section confirms the northern birds have started to show up..go on facebook and check that out for birds...like I said you need to prescout for birds and marsh with binos and go for a walk before hand...there are some good spots and yes they are free
I received some prejudice with our native walpole guides so I am not helping out with walpole native guide service.. forget it
call vincents or waterway camp on LSC ...there gettin redheads and bluebill numbers ..but thats normal...but the big northern flocks have not yet funneled down there yet...
I have not for seasons and will not hunt LPB...like another member said its defiantly not what a duck hunter should experience...

rondeau and hullet and corn fields last nov. season I took some good numbers of nice birds...I don't buy my duck stamp till November and do about 6 to 8 hunts to connect with the motherload....I have been busy big game huntin...got my elk and now i am headin for NFLD for a woodland caribou...and then whitetail deer here at home ...you can only do so much and my big game hunts are the most important to me..my 2 waterfowl buddies are in it hot and heavy duck action right now...and thats a fact...what about you...can't you find 6 birds to shoot...lol

And I took some good numbers at long point last year,.. I hunt the entire season start to end not just when it might be good. I have enjoyed a fairly good season far both at long point and at home near dunnville. I was curious where you were getting your information from or if it was first hand from this year. The information wetfootwilly was giving was first hand knowledge.

There are plenty of ducks in LPB, just not necessarily at the unit. There's a lot of competition from big money outfits feeding and digging far more than the unit can. Hunting pressure at the unit is also greater than those areas. I hunt one of the clubs every year, and the ducks pour into there.

The unit has done a great job with marsh rehab though. But it is hard to keep up with those 'million' dollar outfits.....

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks