Off Topic 2019 Regs.

• Thread starter Deleted member 5866
  • Start date
nice to hear you give your catch to others

for me I don't have wife & kids...its hard to find people today that will accept wild fish (fresh erie pickeral fillets) and especially wild game meats...I can only eat so much of it...so ya I catch my limit, but limit my catch.. alot...and release nearly all my rainbows & other fish...conservation is must thinking for me...

yes where did the word gifting come from...it is legal & I have given out alot of wild meats for free, except ontario food banks will not accept it...even the ones in northern ontario where the poverty is high...

It's possible the food banks have to adhere to similar food safety standards that restaurants and grocery stores do that make it illegal for them to accept wild meats that haven't been government inspected.:unsure:

yes Trevor , ontario food banks are regulated not to accept wild meat,
the reasoning is food safety risk.

silver bass are good to eat if you take the mud line out and cook them fresh
aren't our kids in the house allowed their own limits worth in the freezer anyway ? no gifting required if they fish

Here is a response from the MNR on the Bighead:

Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.

This is indeed a typo, and we are working towards getting this corrected. The regulation should read the same as it has in years past, as no regulation change has been made on that waterbody for the 2019 year.

If you have any further questions, please contact the Natural Resources Information and Support Centre at the one of the numbers listed below, Monday to Friday 8:30am to 5:00pm EST to speak to a representative.

Regards,

NRISC web reader – MW

silver bass are good to eat if you take the mud line out and cook them fresh
aren't our kids in the house allowed their own limits worth in the freezer anyway ? no gifting required if they fish

I tried a silver bass and a white perch in 2016. It's an acquired taste. Can't say I'd do it again. Made the mistake of cooking them at the same time I did up some yellow perch (all fresh caught that day) and I could definitely tell the difference. IF I decide to do it again, I won't make that mistake again.

As for kids in the house, yes of course they are allowed their own limit but for those of us, (like me) whose kids don't live at home anymore, and can't or don't fish, I could put some in my freezer for my son, (he doesn't get out fishing much for a number of reasons, A) he hasn't renewed his license, B) when I go he's usually been working so he can't come with me, or C) he doesn't want to go to name a few,) and it won't count against my possession limit provided they're clearly marked.

Now that said, IF I were to be giving my son fish, I wouldn't be bringing them all the way home then backtracking to get it to him. I'd stop at his place on my way home and give them to him and he can clean them himself, but IF that is what I was going to do, I'd still have to make sure I wasn't over my own limit while in transit.

Back