Off Topic 2019 Regs.

• Thread starter Deleted member 5866
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5866

Hi everyone,

Just downloaded next year's fishing regs. Here's the link.

https://files.ontario.ca/mnrf_fishi...tario-fishing-regulations-summary-english.pdf

Here's the important to me stuff. It doesn't appear anything relevant to me has changed. All seasons and limits have remained the same for where I would go and what I would target. You'll notice there is a big time typo for provincial possession limits for Yellow Perch on page 13 where it states provincial possession limits on Yellow Perch is 10. Obviously that isn't correct since daily limits everywhere are much higher than that at 50 or 25 depending on your license, and it specifically states for Zone 19 for example that your possession limit is 100-S or 50-C again depending on the license you hold.

They have added more license free fishing opportunities. These dates include: • Ontario Family Day Weekend (February 16-18, 2019) • Mother’s Day Weekend (May 11-12, 2019) • Father’s Day Weekend (June 15-16, 2019) • The week of Canada Day (June 29 to July 7, 2019)

Baitfish Limit: 120 (includes those caught or purchased) Only Ontario and Canadian resident anglers may capture baitfish using the following methods: • One baitfish trap no more than 51 cm long and 31 cm wide can be used day or night. Baitfish traps must be clearly marked with the licence holder’s name and address. • One dip-net no more than 183 cm on each side if angular or 183 cm across if circular, during daylight hours only (after sunrise and before sunset). • Dip-nets and baitfish traps may not be used in Algonquin Park.

Permitted Baitfish Only the fish species listed below may be used as live bait, including: Minnows • Blacknose Dace • Blacknose Shiner • Blackchin Shiner • Bluntnose Minnow • Brassy Minnow • Central Stoneroller • Common Shiner • Creek Chub • Emerald Shiner • Fallfish • Fathead Minnow • Finescale Dace • Golden Shiner • Hornyhead Chub • Lake Chub • Longnose Dace • Mimic Shiner • Northern Redbelly Dace • Pearl Dace • Redfin Shiner • River Chub • Rosyface Shiner • Sand Shiner • Spotfin Shiner • Spottail Shiner • Striped Shiner. EVERYONE PLEASE NOTICE, EMERALD SHINERS ARE STILL ON THIS LIST contrary to the rumors and arguments early last spring about them potentially being removed.

Zone-wide Seasons and Limits ZONE 16
Atlantic Salmon- Season: fourth Saturday in April to September 30 Limits: S-0 and C-0
Brook Trout- Season: fourth Saturday in April to September 30 Limits: S-5 and C-2
Brown Trout- Season: fourth Saturday in April to September 30 Limits: S-5 and C-2
Channel Catfish- Season: open all year Limits: S-12 and C-6
Crappie- Season open all year Limits: S-30 and C-10
Lake Sturgeon- Season: closed all year
Lake Trout- Season: January 1 to September 30 Limits: S-2 and C-1
Lake Whitefish- Season: open all year Limits: S-12 and C-6
Largemouth and Smallmouth Bass combined- Season: fourth Saturday in June to November 30 Limits: S-6 and C-2
Muskellunge- Season: first Saturday in June to December 15 Limits: S-1; must be greater than 91 cm, and C-0
Northern Pike- Season: January 1 to March 31 and second Saturday in May to December 31 Limits: S-6 and C-2
Pacific Salmon- Season: fourth Saturday in April to September 30 Limits: S-5 and C-2
Rainbow Trout- Season: fourth Saturday in April to September 30 Limits: S-2 and C-1
Splake- Season: open all year Limits: S-5 and C-2
Sunfish- Season: open all year Limits: S-50 and C-25
Walleye and Sauger combined- Season: January 1 to March 15 and second Saturday in May to December 31 Limits: S-4 and C-2; not more than 1 greater than 46 cm Yellow Perch- Season: open all year Limits: S-50 and C-25

Zone-wide Seasons and Limits ZONE 19 (Lake Erie, Detroit River, Lake St Clair, St. Clair River, Upper Niagara River from Buffalo to the Falls)
Atlantic Salmon-Season: open all year Limits: S-1 and C-0
Brown Trout- Season: open all year Limits: S-5 and C-2
Crappie Season- open all year Limits: S-30 and C-10
Lake Trout- Season: January 1 to September 30 and December 1 to December 31 Limits: S-3 and C-1
Largemouth and Smallmouth Bass- combined Season: fourth Saturday in June to November 30 Limits: S-6 and C-2
Muskellunge- Season: first Saturday in June to December 15 Limits: S-1; must be greater than 112 cm, and C-0
Northern Pike- Season: open all year Limits: S-6 and C-2
Pacific Salmon- Season: open all year Limits: S-5 and C-2
Rainbow Trout- Season: open all year Limits: S-5 and C-2
Sunfish- Season: open all year Limits: S-100 and C-50
Walleye and Sauger- combined Season: open all year Limits: S-6 and C-2
Yellow Perch- Season open all year Limits: S-50; in one day, possession limit of 100, and C-25; in one day, possession limit of 50

Also worth noting:

Per conversations with the Ministry I had earlier this year, (again because there was an argument about it so I checked into it so I knew for myself)

1.) Because there is no mention of it anywhere in the regulations, nor is there any legislation pertaining to the practice, it is NOT illegal to use salted minnows, nor does it matter what kind of salt you use to salt them, but any minnows you have salted at home DO count against your 120 limit.

2.) The following species are not listed therefore they are not regulated so there is no open or closed season, nor is there a limit on them, and you may catch and keep as many of them as you want, (dunno why you would want to tho, but that's just me, lol) Fresh Water Drum (sheephead,) Silver Bass, White Perch, and yes there is a difference. For those of you who haven't seen this from me before, here is the difference.
1546130773185.png <<<<This is a Silver Bass. Notice the front dorsal fin is shorter than the rear dorsal fin. Notice the slope from the front dorsal fin to the eyes/head is more gradual. It has dark spots in horizontal lines, often faint and irregular and second anal spine is distinctly shorter than third. It's general length is : 20-30 centimetres (8-12 inches) although I saw some much bigger than that this year.

1546130897326.png<<<This is a White Perch. Notice the front Dorsal fin is the same size or larger than the rear dorsal fin. Notice the slope from the front dorsal fin to the eyes/head is sharper. It's colour is variable with no obvious spots or stripes but a distinctive pinkness to the cheeks, chin and gill plate is often seen. The second and third anal spine are roughly equal in length and it's general length is: 15-25 centimetres (6-10 inches) again, I saw some much bigger than that this year.

3.) Lets try not to jump on people who we assume are over their limits, because they may not be. I found out what the Ministry means by "gifting" fish to others and what impact that has on my limits. I won't go into it in detail in the open forum, but it would be sufficient to say, I gave away a lot of fish this year (and in years past) that I did not have to because I didn't understand what they meant by "gifting" and how it impacts MY limits. Now I do, and I was more than a little annoyed at myself for not finding this out sooner lol.

Hope this was useful and hope everyone has a Happy New Year.

Thanks for the reminder @trevor M? I like the new layout they used this year! I always like to keep the pdf on my phone so I can have the regs on hand at all times wherever I maybe fishing

I don't mind the new layout, but I didn't mind the old one either. I always have a copy on my computer at home to reference, but for where you're likely going to find me fishin, and the species I target, I KNOW what I need to know already and that need to know info hasn't changed in years, but I always look anyways just in case. I don't use the internet on my phone, (it's an older flip phone, and although I could, I choose not to. I use it as a phone, because well, it's a phone. I'll use the camera feature on it when necessary. I'll text if I have to, but only when I have too lol.)

When I can get a copy of the full regs at a store, I will, and when I can't, I have printed off the relevant info (zones 13,14,16,19,20, and the exceptions in each, because those are the zones I will or may fish in plus some other info ie the info I posted about the difference between the silver bass and white perch and a few other things like direct quotes from the Ministry when I've called them and asked a question for clarification) and put it into a book I keep in the pocket on my chair so that I have what I need to know with me. IF nothing has changed, then I save the ink and just leave it as is.

Well I see they acknowledged the presence Atlantic Salmon in zone 13 and are allowing harvest of 1 fish. Unfortunately no change in the zone 16 regs which I was hoping would allow for their harvest in Lake Huron tributaries.

Noticed a few mistakes too....big one being that a good portion of the Bighead River is now closed until the end of May :unsure: that'll throw off some Steelheaders lol

Josh

Hi everyone,

Just downloaded next year's fishing regs. Here's the link.

https://files.ontario.ca/mnrf_fishi...tario-fishing-regulations-summary-english.pdf

Here's the important to me stuff. It doesn't appear anything relevant to me has changed. All seasons and limits have remained the same for where I would go and what I would target. You'll notice there is a big time typo for provincial possession limits for Yellow Perch on page 13 where it states provincial possession limits on Yellow Perch is 10. Obviously that isn't correct since daily limits everywhere are much higher than that at 50 or 25 depending on your license, and it specifically states for Zone 19 for example that your possession limit is 100-S or 50-C again depending on the license you hold.

They have added more license free fishing opportunities. These dates include: • Ontario Family Day Weekend (February 16-18, 2019) • Mother’s Day Weekend (May 11-12, 2019) • Father’s Day Weekend (June 15-16, 2019) • The week of Canada Day (June 29 to July 7, 2019)

Baitfish Limit: 120 (includes those caught or purchased) Only Ontario and Canadian resident anglers may capture baitfish using the following methods: • One baitfish trap no more than 51 cm long and 31 cm wide can be used day or night. Baitfish traps must be clearly marked with the licence holder’s name and address. • One dip-net no more than 183 cm on each side if angular or 183 cm across if circular, during daylight hours only (after sunrise and before sunset). • Dip-nets and baitfish traps may not be used in Algonquin Park.

Permitted Baitfish Only the fish species listed below may be used as live bait, including: Minnows • Blacknose Dace • Blacknose Shiner • Blackchin Shiner • Bluntnose Minnow • Brassy Minnow • Central Stoneroller • Common Shiner • Creek Chub • Emerald Shiner • Fallfish • Fathead Minnow • Finescale Dace • Golden Shiner • Hornyhead Chub • Lake Chub • Longnose Dace • Mimic Shiner • Northern Redbelly Dace • Pearl Dace • Redfin Shiner • River Chub • Rosyface Shiner • Sand Shiner • Spotfin Shiner • Spottail Shiner • Striped Shiner. EVERYONE PLEASE NOTICE, EMERALD SHINERS ARE STILL ON THIS LIST contrary to the rumors and arguments early last spring about them potentially being removed.

Zone-wide Seasons and Limits ZONE 16
Atlantic Salmon- Season: fourth Saturday in April to September 30 Limits: S-0 and C-0
Brook Trout- Season: fourth Saturday in April to September 30 Limits: S-5 and C-2
Brown Trout- Season: fourth Saturday in April to September 30 Limits: S-5 and C-2
Crappie- Season open all year Limits: S-30 and C-10
Lake Trout- Season: January 1 to September 30 Limits: S-2 and C-1
Largemouth and Smallmouth Bass combined- Season: fourth Saturday in June to November 30 Limits: S-6 and C-2
Muskellunge- Season: first Saturday in June to December 15 Limits: S-1; must be greater than 91 cm, and C-0
Northern Pike- Season: January 1 to March 31 and second Saturday in May to December 31 Limits: S-6 and C-2
Pacific Salmon- Season: fourth Saturday in April to September 30 Limits: S-5 and C-2
Rainbow Trout- Season: fourth Saturday in April to September 30 Limits: S-2 and C-1
Splake- Season: open all year Limits: S-5 and C-2
Sunfish- Season: open all year Limits: S-50 and C-25
Walleye and Sauger combined- Season: January 1 to March 15 and second Saturday in May to December 31 Limits: S-4 and C-2; not more than 1 greater than 46 cm Yellow Perch- Season: open all year Limits: S-50 and C-25

Zone-wide Seasons and Limits ZONE 19 (Lake Erie, Detroit River, Lake St Clair, St. Clair River, Upper Niagara River from Buffalo to the Falls)
Atlantic Salmon-
Season: open all year Limits: S-1 and C-0
Brown Trout- Season: open all year Limits: S-5 and C-2
Crappie Season- open all year Limits: S-30 and C-10
Lake Trout- Season: January 1 to September 30 and December 1 to December 31 Limits: S-3 and C-1
Largemouth and Smallmouth Bass- combined Season: fourth Saturday in June to November 30 Limits: S-6 and C-2
Muskellunge- Season: first Saturday in June to December 15 Limits: S-1; must be greater than 112 cm, and C-0
Northern Pike- Season: open all year Limits: S-6 and C-2
Pacific Salmon- Season: open all year Limits: S-5 and C-2
Rainbow Trout- Season: open all year Limits: S-5 and C-2
Sunfish- Season: open all year Limits: S-100 and C-50
Walleye and Sauger- combined Season: open all year Limits: S-6 and C-2
Yellow Perch- Season open all year Limits: S-50; in one day, possession limit of 100, and C-25; in one day, possession limit of 50

Also worth noting:

Per conversations with the Ministry I had earlier this year, (again because there was an argument about it so I checked into it so I knew for myself)

1.) Because there is no mention of it anywhere in the regulations, nor is there any legislation pertaining to the practice, it is NOT illegal to use salted minnows, nor does it matter what kind of salt you use to salt them, but any minnows you have salted at home DO count against your 120 limit.

2.) The following species are not listed therefore they are not regulated so there is no open or closed season, nor is there a limit on them, and you may catch and keep as many of them as you want, (dunno why you would want to tho, but that's just me, lol) Fresh Water Drum (sheephead,) Silver Bass, White Perch, and yes there is a difference. For those of you who haven't seen this from me before, here is the difference.
View attachment 11964 <<<<This is a Silver Bass. Notice the front dorsal fin is shorter than the rear dorsal fin. Notice the slope from the front dorsal fin to the eyes/head is more gradual. It has dark spots in horizontal lines, often faint and irregular and second anal spine is distinctly shorter than third. It's general length is : 20-30 centimetres (8-12 inches) although I saw some much bigger than that this year.

View attachment 11965<<<This is a White Perch. Notice the front Dorsal fin is the same size or larger than the rear dorsal fin. Notice the slope from the front dorsal fin to the eyes/head is sharper. It's colour is variable with no obvious spots or stripes but a distinctive pinkness to the cheeks, chin and gill plate is often seen. The second and third anal spine are roughly equal in length and it's general length is: 15-25 centimetres (6-10 inches) again, I saw some much bigger than that this year.

3.) Lets try not to jump on people who we assume are over their limits, because they may not be. I found out what the Ministry means by "gifting" fish to others and what impact that has on my limits. I won't go into it in detail in the open forum, but it would be sufficient to say, I gave away a lot of fish this year (and in years past) that I did not have to because I didn't understand what they meant by "gifting" and how it impacts MY limits. Now I do, and I was more than a little annoyed at myself for not finding this out sooner lol.

Hope this was useful and hope everyone has a Happy New Year.

Hi Trevor

Would you be willing to say what the meaning of "Gifted" is
Thanks for the report

Hi Trevor

Would you be willing to say what the meaning of "Gifted" is
Thanks for the report

Check your inbox. For anyone else who wants to know what the Ministry told me about it, send me a PM.

I don't know why the gifting of fish needs to be a big secret but anyways, you can read about it here:

https://www.ontario.ca/page/fishing-limits-size-restrictions-and-catch-and-release

One of the Q/A's at the bottoms says:

So if you live with your wife and two kids at home you can catch your limit one day and 'gift' it to your wife, and do the same for both your kids on subsequent days, then keep your own limit without breaking any rules. If you live alone, this isn't really an option however.

I don't know why the gifting of fish needs to be a big secret but anyways, you can read about it here:

https://www.ontario.ca/page/fishing-limits-size-restrictions-and-catch-and-release

So if you live with your wife and two kids at home you can catch your limit one day and 'gift' it to your wife, and do the same for both your kids on subsequent days, then keep your own limit without breaking any rules. If you live alone, this isn't really an option however.

No, you cannot "gift" to your wife or kids....in the Law, you are one.

King Joe

I'm not keeping it a big secret, it's more a matter of what I was told by the ministry when I called them about it is a very long explanation so I decided not to put it into the open forum. Those who wanted to know what I was told have contacted me and I've given them the long explanation as it was given to me.

nice to hear you give your catch to others

for me I don't have wife & kids...its hard to find people today that will accept wild fish (fresh erie pickeral fillets) and especially wild game meats...I can only eat so much of it...so ya I catch my limit, but limit my catch.. alot...and release nearly all my rainbows & other fish...conservation is must thinking for me...

yes where did the word gifting come from...it is legal & I have given out alot of wild meats for free, except ontario food banks will not accept it...even the ones in northern ontario where the poverty is high...

Well when I called last year was told could gift the BOSS the KIDS and FRIENDS so for me that will be my plan. All are allowed 100. They do not fish, but all are out now with last year being so $hitty.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks