2012 Waterfowling Regulations

Duck Soup

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
http://www.ec.gc.ca/rcom-mbhr/default.asp?lang=en&n=99FDEC59-1

Please note "Heritage Day" for youth

Yes....details are not available yet.
quote:
Originally posted by mooner

Does that mean youth at the unit will be Sept. 15th?

This has the makings of a very confusing Saturday as the Early Goose season is still open . So a flock of geese come over and the "Mentor " gets out a gun (legal as it is goose season) and shoots as well! Then I guess he puts his gun away again and the "Youth " continues to duck hunt . Sounds like potentially an enforcement nightmare!!

there should not be any confusion. the regulations state:
mentors may not hunt or carry a firearm

The law states that if u are the mentor only the youth may shoot and only one gun out no confusion

To bad I'll miss the youth hunt this year. I'll be in Parry Sound for the central opener.

The "Mentor" is legally goose hunting.He puts his gun away again so only the "Youth " has a gun out for ducks . Like I said it opens the door for a lot of potential problems with some hunters who may want to try to take advantage of the situation. I know I will not be out at all but working on getting everything ready for the real "Opening Day " the following Saturday so it doesn't really affect me one way or the other .

No. the regulations say the mentor can not carry a gun. so how would the mentor "get it out"?

Say for example the mentor and youth are out down in Little Rice say and only one gun out so the mentor shoots the geese and the youth the ducks but oops the mentor shoots a duck or 2 and says the youth shot them. Just potentially an opportunity for bad apples to spoil things and give the sport a bad name.Maybe Jeff Foiles shows up with a youth and "mentors " the kid .I know 99% of the hunters will do things the proper and legal way but there are always idiots.

the mentor can't shoot any geese that day:
the regulations state:
mentors may not hunt or carry a firearm

I'll be up for the real opening day in the unit as well on the 22nd.
This is just my two cents but they should have kept the youth day to the first friday afternoon after the season opened.
Down here in pennsylvania they have two youth days on the third and forth saturdays in sept every year and with all the youths skybusting and shooting at everything that flies most of all the bluewing teal hightail it south before we have our regular opener on the second saturday in october.
And down here we have a early sept goose season from the first to the 25th and you have a bunch of jeff foiles in the swamps and lakes on youth days helping a bunch of kids shoot limits of ducks since they are aloud to be shooting geese.
I remember how when i first started duck hunting i was lucky if i killed a duck and now you see all these kids on youth day with limits. Makes you start to think about some of these mentors showing these kids the ropes.

Traveling North America chasing the migration and making memories one shotshell at a time. KDS

Hello Guys,

The LPWA "Youth Hunt" at the Long Point WMU will now obviously be part of the CWS "Waterfowl Heritage Day" starting this year.

I agree with "mooner" in that individuals who decide to be mentors during the CWS "Waterfowl Heritage Day" would "give up" their opportunity to hunt Canada Geese on that day while they are acting as mentors.

The individuals could however act as mentors for young duck hunters in the morning and then go out in the afternoon by themselves to take part in the early Canada Goose season as they are no longer acting as mentors.

A lot of us were involved in making the CWS "Waterfowl Heritage Day" in Ontario a reality ... it was the right thing to do.

Jerome Katchin, D.V.M.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks