Pickerel vs Walleye: Setting the Record Straight

The Cronz - love that guy! He pulled my name out of a hat and I won one the first production models of the Evinrude 9.9 4 stroke! The motor turned out to be a bit of a ? , but it sure was an exciting ride home from the fishing show that night!
I had lunch with him a few years back at hippos in low banks..he was going to trolling. Stopped for a bite to eat first. Nice guys talked fishing a bit

Then ask for a walleye dinner in Dover!!!!! I fish the and pickerel ( yes pickerel) river alot...locals would laugh you you if you called it a walleye especially if they found out your not a yank. Again the scientific name doesn't make it a proper local name. My daughter doesn't go by her full legal name , does it make her other name not proper ??? Lol....really it depends where you are . I'll stick the Dover and candian name of pickeral, call em whatever you wish

I've personally asked for dozens of walleye dinners at multiple locations along the north shore and have never had a single person even bat an eye. The only people who have ever said anything to me are the typical grouchy old know-it-all men, almost always seniors.

I grew up calling them pickerel, but then this thing called the internet came about. This allowed me to see that Ontarians are the only people to call them pickerel and that a pickerel is nothing like a walleye.

Calling a walleye a pickerel makes as much sense as calling a bass a salmon....

I've personally asked for dozens of walleye dinners at multiple locations along the north shore and have never had a single person even bat an eye. The only people who have ever said anything to me are the typical grouchy old know-it-all men, almost always seniors.

I grew up calling them pickerel, but then this thing called the internet came about. This allowed me to see that Ontarians are the only people to call them pickerel and that a pickerel is nothing like a walleye.

Mostly Ontario great lakes and northern ontario but also into Quebec and Manitoba as well. I guided around the french river years back and was told from the lodge owners to use the name walleye if the clients were American..every one else it's a pic... as the internet as well as tv has catered to using walleye name. Yes there are Chain pickerel in Canada which look like a little pike bit every one knows what you mean when you say yeah I got 4 pickerel last night. Its OK to different and have Candian traditions.. I fished thr pickerel river last may opening day and there ain't no walleye there...superstores and restaurants will always use pickerel. It makes sense if you think about brook vs speckled....omg vs chinook..dog salmon vs chum....fish have multiple names depending on where you are..embrace it ... it's good we are different than our American neighbors

Hey I'm one of those seniors I'm old but I'm not grouchy and sure don't know it all but like you know enough to call them walleye. ;):)

Like I said in another post I've been across most of this country and the ONLY place I've ever heard walleye referred to as pickerel is here in Ontario. Everywhere else, they call it walleye, UNLESS the person you're speaking too is from Ontario. So it's not a Canadian thing, it's an Ontario thing, and as I said in response to a different post on the thread, call them lunch......then nobody gets mad at ya unless you're not sharing, or they're buying:LOL:

We used to call them pickerel in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba. I promise you nobody at the time (in my family at least) ever heard the word walleye. Only heard them called walleye after moving to Ontario. This is going back a few years now. I make the disclaimer however that I now only call them walleye except tongue in cheek references when talking to my older western relatives.

lol :ROFLMAO:@Wave Runner!! ?? “Mr.Walleye” as @Wave Runner pointed out. Gary Roach,loves his walleye fishing & also,his “Tiller” Lund Boat’s as well!! View attachment 20328View attachment 20329 ? ??:cool:
Hey when your beard gets white enough you will be the new Mr. Walleye in your Lund tiller. ?? Or do you want to be Mr. Pickerel? :p

Also Mr. Walleye has a 22 Inch left bicep from using the tiller where as Al Kinder's is only 16 inches using the steering wheel. ?

Last edited:
Hey when your beard gets white enough you will be the new Mr. Walleye in your Lund tiller. ?? Or do you want to be Mr. Pickerel? :p

Also Mr. Walleye has a 22 Inch left bicep from using the tiller where as Al Kinder's is only 16 inches using the steering wheel. ?
LOL :ROFLMAO: @Wave Runner!! Please,I would prefer to be called “Mr. Walleye” E8784EC2-0A7C-4D9B-A888-D6EA0BC1DAB9.jpeg LOL:ROFLMAO::D but,I don’t want my beard to go white ?anytime soon!!?? Al Linder can keep his 16 inch biceps ? by running a “console” boat. lol ? I prefer my 22 inch ? biceps!!o_O thanks to my “Tiller” ?AD5268DF-B19A-420A-AE3F-2F3C25CF31B5.jpeg Lund Boat!!o_O?:cool:

We used to call them pickerel in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba. I promise you nobody at the time (in my family at least) ever heard the word walleye. Only heard them called walleye after moving to Ontario. This is going back a few years now. I make the disclaimer however that I now only call them walleye except tongue in cheek references when talking to my older western relatives.

Isn't it funny how depending on how old you are that will determine to a certain degree what you call your lunch, walleye, or pickerel LOL.

@Red Hering: Now is it true as per OOD that the "Tiller" people are a little "strange" ? I just seen it just checking if it is correct ? Would it be the MODEL or the CAPTAIN ? WOW lots of questions, need some answers. TIA

Yellow pickerel delicious, blue pickerel extinct in the 60s . My father passed at 82 yrs of age and always called them pickerel .walleye came about as American slang. Chain pickerel are part of the pike family. Yellow pickerel is the Canadian name. How American are you down the center or the centre.

Yellow pickerel delicious, blue pickerel extinct in the 60s . My father passed at 82 yrs of age and always called them pickerel .walleye came about as American slang. Chain pickerel are part of the pike family. Yellow pickerel is the Canadian name. How American are you down the center or the centre.

Said it a couple times now, just call them lunch, then nobody can get mad at ya unless you're not sharing, or they bought.

View attachment 20330
good thing for those U.S. dollars sitting your U.S. dollar bank account...eh;)
ya walleye to walmart..its all american..
Even my American relatives find that portrayal of the map to be offensive. Of course that could be because their father, my uncle by blood, was born and raised in Canada ;)

the saltwater pickeral or walleye is a snook..fight good and taste great
1580245767842.png

Yeah my brother moved to Alberta and lived in Leduc for over 30 years while working for Suncor but now lives in Nanaimo BC. He was trained by the Albertans to call them pickerel but I still called them walleye when I fished out there. They tried to train me but I told them all that walleye is correct just like your jacks are northern pike. They said you guys from the east don't know what your talking about and I said oh yes we do. Your slogan "west is best east is least" doesn't hold water when it comes to knowledge about fish names west knows least. They weren't overly impressed with the brother from Ontario that caught more walleye and northern pike than they did. LOL!!! ?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks