Pickerel vs Walleye: Setting the Record Straight

I remember watching Going Fishing tv way back now when Daryl Chronzy was the star of the show.He said Canadians got it wrong by calling walleye pickerel and the Americans had it right calling them walleye.Just kinda remember that part of the show.Anyway i always thought Cronzy would make one hell of a natural resource minister back in the day.

Speaking of Darryl Choronzey, when I lived up in Owen Sound for 10years and as I was a member of the Sydenham Sportsmens Association and involved in the Salmon and Skammania stocking program, I knew Darryl very well as he was a Club member and who also was involved in the stocking program. I also had to the opportuntity to Salmon fish with Darryl in Lake Huron just once off Sauble Beach.

For those that don't know, it was Darryl who got the stocking program going in Lake Huron and Georgian Bay when Allan Pope was the PC Minister of Natural Resources. Darryl was not afraid to voice his opinions if the Ministry was handling things wrong.

I call them by their proper name walleye and I'm not an American nor do I have a big wallet. :giggle:
Then ask for a walleye dinner in Dover!!!!! I fish the and pickerel ( yes pickerel) river alot...locals would laugh you you if you called it a walleye especially if they found out your not a yank. Again the scientific name doesn't make it a proper local name. My daughter doesn't go by her full legal name , does it make her other name not proper ??? Lol....really it depends where you are . I'll stick the Dover and candian name of pickeral, call em whatever you wish

most older ontario fishermen know Cronzy..and was well known editor for the popular magazine "Ontario Fisherman" I have boxes of them that came out monthly delivered to my door. His appearance on the going fishing shows entertaining & funny..His son Josh is a sports fishing writer too and fisherman..the Cronzy theme is salmon & trout..

Pickerel
The term pickerel is reserved for small fishes in the pike family. In Ontario, this includes the grass pickerel (Esox americanus vermiculatus) and the chain pickerel (Esox niger), which are both rare catches in our province, but can be found in parts of southern Ontario, around the St. Lawrence River, eastern Lake Ontario, and the Bay of Quinte. Also, hybrids of pike and grass and chain pickerel are possible.

Of course, there will always be those among us who don’t care about scientific convention and will continue calling their walleye, pickerel. At least if they’re talking with Ontario anglers, we’ll know what they mean, “eh?”

1580158498382.png

I grew up in the Kawartha Lakes and they were certainly Pickerel there. However I later travelled fishing all over North America and found everyone else including western Canadians all called them walleye. I trained myself to call them Walleye. I have nothing against unique local names but in this case we are calling them the name of another fish which can only cause confusion. There are only walleye in my sadly diminishing freezer supply.

it would be a decent price without the skin...
Wild Pickerel Fillet (Lake Erie)

The-Healthy-Butcher-Lake-Erie-Pickerel.jpg

HB-Social-Ocean_Wise_Introduction-18.jpg

The Healthy Butcher
SKU: 01208

Wild Pickerel Fillet (Lake Erie)
200g

Our Wild Pickerel is from a fishery that is Ocean Wise Certified. This ethical choice is amazing steamed, poached or pan fried.

Price:$12.34

Priced at $5.95/100g. The above is an average price, the final price may vary by up to 10% more or less.

Manitoba Pickerel Cheeks, 227g

Regular price $9.00

Quantity

227g (0.5lb), frozen

Pickerel cheeks are a delicacy with a succulent, mild flavour almost similar to the scallop but unique at the same time. Cheeks are best prepared with a batter, your favourite seasonings but not too overpowering, and pan-fried with real butter. Be cautious not to overcook in order to preserve the moist, juicy, and tender texture.

Place order up to 3pm to get same day Winnipeg delivery. Delivery is scheduled to arrive approximately 2 hours after you place the order. For full details click here.

wow my cheeks never looked like these yum...great price too
1580166465744.png

most older ontario fishermen know Cronzy..and was well known editor for the popular magazine "Ontario Fisherman" I have boxes of them that came out monthly delivered to my door. His appearance on the going fishing shows entertaining & funny..His son Josh is a sports fishing writer too and fisherman..the Cronzy theme is salmon & trout..

I also got his Publication "Ontario Fisherman" in the day. If you quickly check the front covers and look for the story on the Famous Lancaster Perch Roll Sauce in which this article has the history of this famous Perch Roll Sauce and a Recipe.

lancaster-perch-rolls.jpg

Attachments

• lancaster-perch-rolls.jpg
    lancaster-perch-rolls.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 4
I have Darryl Cronzeys Fish cook book ...multi species ontario fish..and the names of the recipes are where the fish were caught...its pretty cool...thats why is such a creative and successful writer...

going to hijack this thread seeing as we're talking about the Cronz. one of his OOD magazines had a recipe called creamy Caesar salmon which was a bit hit at a potluck supper. if anyone can find a copy of it in your old magazines would be much appreciated. TIA

Well... after all this... Pickerel / Walleye... as long as you don't call me late for dinner I am good with the results!

Then ask for a walleye dinner in Dover!!!!! I fish the and pickerel ( yes pickerel) river alot...locals would laugh you you if you called it a walleye especially if they found out your not a yank. Again the scientific name doesn't make it a proper local name. My daughter doesn't go by her full legal name , does it make her other name not proper ??? Lol....really it depends where you are . I'll stick the Dover and candian name of pickeral, call em whatever you wish

Like I said in another post I've been across most of this country and the ONLY place I've ever heard walleye referred to as pickerel is here in Ontario. Everywhere else, they call it walleye, UNLESS the person you're speaking too is from Ontario. So it's not a Canadian thing, it's an Ontario thing, and as I said in response to a different post on the thread, call them lunch......then nobody gets mad at ya unless you're not sharing, or they're buying:LOL:

going to hijack this thread seeing as we're talking about the Cronz. one of his OOD magazines had a recipe called creamy Caesar salmon which was a bit hit at a potluck supper. if anyone can find a copy of it in your old magazines would be much appreciated. TIA

I also have Darryl's "The Angler's Only Cookbook" where I think all the Recipes from the Magazine were used in the Cookbook. I will check it and if it's there, I will send you a PM as it may not be legal to Post it Online.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks