Off Topic Zombie Mice ?

Old Cut LongPointer

As per usual December comes along and it's Mouse Season ! Now I've taken precautions as to filling up any little spaces with foam or caulk and of course safe food storage but yet they find their way into the house. OK .... fine ... so on with the Mouse Hunt Season; which btw usually only lasts into January as I wipe out the 2 or 3 waves of them and then that's it season over ! This time round it's taken a strange twist. I've found dead mice in my traps that have been chewed on ! ZOMBIE MICE ! I have never seen that happen before with my mice but cannibalism does take place in Mother Nature . So far I've caught 6 mice and 3 of them have been attacked by Zombies. Has anybody else encountered this or should I dig out a banjo ?

My attic traps got like that. Tells me that I have too many and they are hungry so I bought them more traps so no one would go hungry. Lol

Hmmmm, it appears my mice are a little more civilized. So far.

Still gonna lock the doors.

48 hrs, no mice in traps, all baits in place.

I had one that made about 6 feet across the basement room in a flipped trap and then I told my wife to go see it - it moved the trap again and passed away

I've seen this "zombie mouse" issue occasionally over the 40-odd years I've lived in my 135 year old house. Seems impossible to plug all access spots here. Also observe 2 or 3 waves, then gone. Couple of my trap sets allow victim to travel before expiring, or be dragged away and partially eaten. Banjo wouldn't hurt tho, LOL.

Sounds like Rats ... One place I had in country was finding half eaten mice in traps.. Got bigger rat traps..nailed a few of them

Go with the poison so that when they go to snack on their dead buddies they also get killed.

You also have the added bonus of smelling the carcasses stuck in the walls. The sweet stench of victory.

A little tip if you're using foam in holes. Give a little shot of foam and then push some course steel wool or the $ store curly pot scrubbers in the hole followed by a shot of foam. They can dig thru the foam but the steel stops them.

Love a good sticky trap always work bait against wall pb. Just have to neck snap before they chew trap and legs up

we use a live catch tray/box system that can catch multiple messes, many times one is still alive and the others are munched, happens all the time for us.

Thanks guys for the tips or confirming my dilemma . Can't go back and re-foam the holes with steel wool but any new ones I may come across will. I sure hope there isn't a rat in the house ? When I took over the place the old folks that lived here must have had them (rats) at one time as poop evidence showed but they did also have chickens to which I hear "go hand in hand". I have a dog so I don't use poison in the house just the garage. Sadistic as it sounds but hearing "The Dance of Death" coming from the kitchen as Mickey or Minnie perform their last finale has a very satisfactory feeling attached to it.

As per usual December comes along and it's Mouse Season ! Now I've taken precautions as to filling up any little spaces with foam or caulk and of course safe food storage but yet they find their way into the house. OK .... fine ... so on with the Mouse Hunt Season; which btw usually only lasts into January as I wipe out the 2 or 3 waves of them and then that's it season over ! This time round it's taken a strange twist. I've found dead mice in my traps that have been chewed on ! ZOMBIE MICE ! I have never seen that happen before with my mice but cannibalism does take place in Mother Nature . So far I've caught 6 mice and 3 of them have been attacked by Zombies. Has anybody else encountered this or should I dig out a banjo ?
Rats like to eat little mice.

Guess I'm going to need a bigger trap ? Ooooooooor I could go fishing for them ! If I use one of those mouse lures ..... mmmmmmmm ? Jerk bait or slow troll ? Should I use a leader ? What type of line ? Needless to say "catch and release" is not going to happen ! Maybe I could make a buck or two by taking a holesaw to the floor and rent out spots for those die hards that want to jig a line ? The only ice you have to worry about is what's in your glass ?

A little tip if you're using foam in holes. Give a little shot of foam and then push some course steel wool or the $ store curly pot scrubbers in the hole followed by a shot of foam. They can dig thru the foam but the steel stops them.
Steel wool number one ☝️

I use modified rat traps catch both in them mice and rats.I add nails to the kill area and boost the spring to be stronger and quicker.All die quick and do not travel away to die.I glue gun a peanut to it and cover peanut in peanut butter.

Attachments

• D1DE7782-51F7-4C81-BEA6-678E67054525.jpeg
    D1DE7782-51F7-4C81-BEA6-678E67054525.jpeg
    312.9 KB · Views: 41
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks