Off Topic Your top 5

Reel-ist

With all the talk lately about fishing coming to an end for this year and winterizing boats and the like, I want to pose a question to all the active and successful fishermen and women on the site before this season's memories fade over the coming months. Many of you have amazing collections of lures, more than you could rinse on 5 full days of fishing. Me...not so much, but the collection is slowly growing, at least when the bows aren't swiping them faster than I can replace them. That inspires the question - if you could only have 5 of those precious lures for fishing on Lake Erie, what would they be? Be as specific as you can as to name, make, colour name etc. I am actually going to wait several days and see what the most popular responses are and use the data to actually acquire the ones I don't have before next year if they are still being manufactured and sold - I am sure a few will be hard to find "classics". Thanks for indulging the question. I look forward to your responses and hope for a few surprises. I am not quite ready to hang up the gear yet and may, if I already have some of the top 5'ers, try to get them some more exercise before things inevitably grind to a halt.👍🎣👍

With all the talk lately about fishing coming to an end for this year and winterizing boats and the like, I want to pose a question to all the active and successful fishermen and women on the site before this season's memories fade over the coming months. Many of you have amazing collections of lures, more than you could rinse on 5 full days of fishing. Me...not so much, but the collection is slowly growing, at least when the bows aren't swiping them faster than I can replace them. That inspires the question - if you could only have 5 of those precious lures for fishing on Lake Erie, what would they be? Be as specific as you can as to name, make, colour name etc. I am actually going to wait several days and see what the most popular responses are and use the data to actually acquire the ones I don't have before next year if they are still being manufactured and sold - I am sure a few will be hard to find "classics". Thanks for indulging the question. I look forward to your responses and hope for a few surprises. I am not quite ready to hang up the gear yet and may, if I already have some of the top 5'ers, try to get them some more exercise before things inevitably grind to a halt.👍🎣👍
I haven’t had the time to fish on the water or to reply on this topic but I am looking forward to some members answers, I also need to build my spoon collection lol
JJ

Bill Lewis Super Trap in chart/silver color.
Silver #4 BlueFox "bullet" spinner.
Rapala #9 tail dancer in rainbow trout.
The big Rapala countdown(#9 or #11 I think) in gold/black.
White color,Berkley twichtail minnow "drop shot".

If you are talking lures for trolling walleyes and such I would not have the same 5.

Bill Lewis Super Trap in chart/silver color.
Silver #4 BlueFox "bullet" spinner.
Rapala #9 tail dancer in rainbow trout.
The big Rapala countdown(#9 or #11 I think) in gold/black.
White color,Berkley twichtail minnow "drop shot".

If you are talking lures for trolling walleyes and such I would not have the same 5.
Indulge me... say I'm talking trolling for walleye and such🤔.

My top 5 would be Gold/Black and a Silver/Blue Ripplin Red fin, Orange Greasy Chicken Wing, Pink Panties and Tequila Sunrise spoons. At least for this year.
Are your last 3 Silver Streak or Great Lakes Spoons versions? They say that the action is as or more important than the colour and there is a difference in the action of each of those brands. I am just wondering if you have a preference, I have some of each and have not seen a trend as far as one out performing the other in my limited experience thus far.🤙
I haven’t had the time to fish on the water or to reply on this topic but I am looking forward to some members answers, I also need to build my spoon collection lol
JJ
I didn't look to far back in the archived posts - it's a huge task. I kind of wondered how often something like this has been asked in the past, but I also figured if it had, there good be somewhat of a change in opinion as preferences often change over time. I am hoping we see a few obscure ones that my need a little digging to find.🤞

Smithwick perfect 10 in clown.
Rapala 9 tail dancer in rainbow trout.
Big copper willow blade worm harness with chart/pink/purple beads.
Dream weaver SS gold back spoon in greasy chicken.
Silver steak mini in salamander.

#1 gold/black RRF

#2 baker boys custom orange crusher RRF

#3 nascar spoon

#4 clown RRF

#5 blueberry muffin spoon

#1 gold/black RRF

#2 baker boys custom orange crusher RRF

#3 nascar spoon

#4 clown RRF

#5 blueberry muffin spoon
Sweet! I actually have a couple that are on your list. In fact, a rainbow swiped one of the blueberry muffin spoons from me about a month or so ago. I replaced it but since then the rainbows have been a little more scarce in the west end.

1. Wackm Tackle's stomp's briefs #2
  2. Wackm Tackle's stomp's briefs original recipe
Stomp - that's only 2. Any chance Wackm is going to come out with a reverse Stomp's brief in both of those configurations😂? And then maybe an inside out Stomp's briefs with one side textured🤢☣️❓If not, give me another 3 selections.

Based on the two years I've been using it, I'd settle for 5 Dreamweaver Super Slim Perch. LOL

Put over 30 fish in the boat yesterday, all but 2 were caught on it.

Nothing, and I mean nothing else worked for us.

If I really thought about it I could come up with a 5 list.

Couldn’t pick just 5
Got down to 6
But really wanted to choose 7

Great Lakes Spoons - Jager Bomb
Silver Streak Mini - BBQ chicken
Great Lakes Spoon - Dark Purple chicken wing
Moonshine spoon - Silver Carbon
Big Riggs custom Spoons and Jigs - Tiger King
Moonshine spoon - Green Hulk

Not pictured

Moonshine Spoon - Road Toad

9E833FF8-C5E2-44AE-91C7-71C4F14B8BCC.jpeg4ED2E0FC-2B74-4BC5-827B-91EA3F7F8336.jpeg

Couldn’t pick just 5
Got down to 6
But really wanted to choose 7

Great Lakes Spoons - Jager Bomb
Silver Streak Mini - BBQ chicken
Great Lakes Spoon - Dark Purple chicken wing
Moonshine spoon - Silver Carbon
Big Riggs custom Spoons and Jigs - Tiger King
Moonshine spoon - Green Hulk

Not pictured

Moonshine Spoon - Road Toad

View attachment 49623View attachment 49624
Wow Derk! Pictures. I have only the third one on your list. On a related note, I have kind of avoided some of the lures that appear to be mostly decorated with decals, mostly for fear that they might peel off or otherwise not stand up too well in the durability department. How are you finding they are standing up over time? Couldn't whittle it down to 5 eh? So you're the guy they instituted cavity searches for at the border crossings.👆😲👆

Wow Derk! Pictures. I have only the third one on your list. On a related note, I have kind of avoided some of the lures that appear to be mostly decorated with decals, mostly for fear that they might peel off or otherwise not stand up too well in the durability department. How are you finding they are standing up over time? Couldn't whittle it down to 5 eh? So you're the guy they instituted cavity searches for at the border crossings.👆😲👆
The decals holding up better than the paint on the bbq chicken spoon 😉

Just got the green hulk this season, thing caught majority of the fish the last few trips out and is holding up really well no complaints here and haven’t experienced any issues that make me want to avoid those purchases in the future

The decals holding up better than the paint on the bbq chicken spoon 😉

Just got the green hulk this season, thing caught majority of the fish the last few trips out and is holding up really well no complaints here and haven’t experienced any issues that make me want to avoid those purchases in the future
Thanks Derk. Good to know. I inherited a few with decals from my late father's gear but I have no idea how old they are, how much he used them or the make or colour names. I have only lightly rinsed one of them and it didn't get much fish love. I will have to give those a fair shot and maybe pick a few up that come so highly recommended.👌

Well it's a much more diverse and colourful list than I was expecting. I haven't heard too much from the heavy hitters yet or any of the ladies on the site. Keep them coming! This is really interesting so far.👌

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks