Your favorite rod holder (not storage) solution

rastam4n

Site Sponsor
R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
So I finally got my new (to me boat) and I would like to get it outfitted with some rod and down rigger brackets etc.

Not for storage but for use while fishing

What do you use what is your favorite system and why is it better then the options?

Pictures?

Here's what I have on my boat.

rdhldr2.JPG

On my boat currently, downriggers with 2 rod tubes and Scotty Orca Rod mounts which are the favourite.

Simple release (just pull up) and super strong.

rdhldr1.JPG

The Orca mount has lead core straight out the back, the other DIpsy on 3.

Just two of us on the boat this day.

Now, I'm going to be adding rockets and rails this year, and based on using them on other boats I'm pretty sure they will become No 1.

I use Orcas as well on tracks just behind my downriggers. Very easy to grab the rod out of the holder when using wire dipsy for salmon.

I use the Scotty rodmasters. Not 1 complaint so far been using them for 5 years now.Screenshot_20200317-093434_Gallery.jpg
20160625_072148.jpg

I did the exact same search last winter for new rod holders and looked at nearly every company and searched the internet looking at countless reviews. After all that I ended up ordering from Great Lakes Planers and absolutely love them. They seemed the most beefy and strong of all the options.
Also a lot of this comes down to personal preference and what you want and your style of fishing and style/size of boat you’re on. Personally I like trees over rails but it’s to each there own. I also went with the Great Lakes Planer tree as it works as my planer mast and reel as well since I have a soft top and can’t mount to the top of my boat and have hard access to the front as it is not a walk around. Rarely ever do I have enough people or do I need to put it needed I can run on one tree my planer board, 3 rods off the board and 2 dispeys on each side.
D39DDE50-D562-47DB-A5E8-E0F785349D27.jpeg4CE54B15-6A55-4FA7-93A5-DAC2E7615670.pngSorry don’t really have any good pictures of the set up in use.

Does anyone have experience with these

I like the track system, just not sure it would be good enough to mount 60" downriggers on?

Does anyone have experience with these

I like the track system, just not sure it would be good enough to mount 60" downriggers on?

I have pursuit tracks and holders primairily on my boat which traxstech bought out some time ago.

From looking at most all tracks I think all these aluminum tracks are quite equal.

The RRH-230 traxstech holder is still produced today. They work very well so I mounted then to my riggers for fun.

I added a pair of triple trees for the board set up to keep my rods stacked away from the deck . Very good experience with shipping to Canada from traxstech.

With the exchange rate today its not ever going to come cheap , but I will say there aluminum products are quality.

Would love to have a pair of lift and turn ratchets for dipseys.

I have never seem there product on sale through there direct site but did fine them through walleye tackle store, which in turn just orders and ships from traxstech.

Enjoy your choices.

I use tracks with 2 Dual axis rods holders on each side for Dipsey's and an arch with 3 rotating holders on each side for running planner boards. Walkers have 2 rod holders each.

IMG_0682.jpg

You may wanna have a look at Dave's stuff from Trojan tackle. He custom fabs for not much more than off the shelf product and is located in Burlington. I have used his stuff on two boats: two completely different setups No complaints. Likewise, quite a few friends have used his stuff with no issues.
http://www.trojantackle.ca/
Anyway you mount 'em, any look you want.

I have a Legend Xcalibur 18 and I use canon tracks and rod holders, with downriggers on 6' risers. Basically just like the one on @Reel Therapy picture. Next boat will be just like that. OMG @Reel Therapy , how did you convert a Legend to a Sportcraft? :D :D :D I would like a bar like that.

@vmuravin took a while to get it the way I wanted but after fishing with this set up last summer safe to say I love it! I even put an LED light on the back of the arch for the early morning salmon trips and summer evening Walleye trips works amazing for lighting up the whole back of the boat.

@vmuravin took a while to get it the way I wanted but after fishing with this set up last summer safe to say I love it! I even put an LED light on the back of the arch for the early morning salmon trips and summer evening Walleye trips works amazing for lighting up the whole back of the boat.
I don't think I will be able to do that with my boat but this is vow! I envy a little bit... a lot actually :). At some point once kids grow up and we move... the smallest house with the biggest driveway I can find and I am getting a boat with the bar like that! Cheers

I run these, they come in three and four rod holder trees, they are all adjustable......not a aluminum tube welded to a vertical tube. They are expensive but they are the best out there.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks