Yak Attack 2, Lake O, Grimsby

King Joe

Made it out for my second run off 40 Creek Park/Grimsby. On water by 0800.

Setting up, was surprised how few midges there were, compared to the Friday earlier. Almost none to speak of. Windy.com predicted an 5mph West to east wind....and looking out from harbour looked calm with a tiny bit of chop. Looking good!

Ran straight out and set out lines at 32' dpw. Wind was, for sure, more than 5 at 32'. At 37' dpw....HUGE take on the run! Drag screamed. Grab rod and fight is on. Huge pulls and runs. Kayak turns towards the run and I'm being pulled. Way out, big tail splash...exciting! Start to gain...slowly....finally get eyes on.....A horse of a Chinook! As it turns on its side, I tighten the drag a bit and grab the net thinking its done. NOPE, tail splash and big run...one handed (one on the rod, other on net), I fumble to get the drag....and POP...snap off! Crap! Still, good start.

Plan today was to run out and in covering 30-45' dpw. WIND however, changed my plans. No way it was only 5mph....almost didn't have to paddle at all to maintain lure speed going with, busted a nut going against with waves often breaking over the bow. Changed to going parallel to shore at 38-40.

Marked lots of fish at bottom...no schools of bait (like last time). Had another hit but was on-off after a short run.

Wind became a factor. Figured if i ran out of 'gas' (got tired) with an off-shore wind...i'd be in Kingston and that's a long paddle back. Shut the day down.

Set up was: 1) 30' jet with watermelon Apex out 110' 2) Green scale Apex off 2 oz banana out 100 (so down about 20'). BOTH hits on Watermelon (like last time).

One big boat came out while I was out...and came back when I was coming back. A smaller boat came out while out and was setting up to run towards Hamilton. Because of the wind, NO BUGS.

Maybe this weekend....I'll be back.

King Joe Outa Here!

Was out yesterday and bugs are definitely starting to slow down. Hopefully by weekend will continue to improve.

Tks for the report!

Nice Going Joe. Surprise they are in so shallow. Maybe the Alewife are in spawning now. Good luck next time. Don't touch the drag when they run.

How did you do yesterday Newfie36? Going Sunday, Grimsby or Burlington. Friend catch 4 out of Burlington yesterday. One was 27 lbs in 120 fow.

I used to run the watermelon Apex years ago with success. Tried them last 2 years without any luck. Maybe I'll give them another go this year.

Hey one.last.cast,

Thanks for the comments. Yeah, don't touch the drag. As for Apex, I like the Slow Troll model...size 4. For yak fishing...specifically, paddle yak fishing...I can run those apex and maintain troll speeds (1.7-2.5mph) pretty easily. And with 2 times out, and 2 times fish on....I'm pretty happy. Problem is, finding an Ontario source to get more. I have one watermelon left now....oh oh.

King Joe Outa Here!

Made it out for my second run off 40 Creek Park/Grimsby. On water by 0800.

Setting up, was surprised how few midges there were, compared to the Friday earlier. Almost none to speak of. Windy.com predicted an 5mph West to east wind....and looking out from harbour looked calm with a tiny bit of chop. Looking good!

Ran straight out and set out lines at 32' dpw. Wind was, for sure, more than 5 at 32'. At 37' dpw....HUGE take on the run! Drag screamed. Grab rod and fight is on. Huge pulls and runs. Kayak turns towards the run and I'm being pulled. Way out, big tail splash...exciting! Start to gain...slowly....finally get eyes on.....A horse of a Chinook! As it turns on its side, I tighten the drag a bit and grab the net thinking its done. NOPE, tail splash and big run...one handed (one on the rod, other on net), I fumble to get the drag....and POP...snap off! Crap! Still, good start.

Plan today was to run out and in covering 30-45' dpw. WIND however, changed my plans. No way it was only 5mph....almost didn't have to paddle at all to maintain lure speed going with, busted a nut going against with waves often breaking over the bow. Changed to going parallel to shore at 38-40.

Marked lots of fish at bottom...no schools of bait (like last time). Had another hit but was on-off after a short run.

Wind became a factor. Figured if i ran out of 'gas' (got tired) with an off-shore wind...i'd be in Kingston and that's a long paddle back. Shut the day down.

Set up was: 1) 30' jet with watermelon Apex out 110' 2) Green scale Apex off 2 oz banana out 100 (so down about 20'). BOTH hits on Watermelon (like last time).

One big boat came out while I was out...and came back when I was coming back. A smaller boat came out while out and was setting up to run towards Hamilton. Because of the wind, NO BUGS.

Maybe this weekend....I'll be back.

King Joe Outa Here!
A exciting read @King Joe & thanks for sharing!! Be Safe & Tight Lines & Salmon ON!! o_O????:)

Hey one.last.cast,

Thanks for the comments. Yeah, don't touch the drag. As for Apex, I like the Slow Troll model...size 4. For yak fishing...specifically, paddle yak fishing...I can run those apex and maintain troll speeds (1.7-2.5mph) pretty easily. And with 2 times out, and 2 times fish on....I'm pretty happy. Problem is, finding an Ontario source to get more. I have one watermelon left now....oh oh.

King Joe Outa Here!
Canadian tire has all kinds of them in Brantford 3 sizes

Crap, seriously? I would have stopped in on my way back from Grimsby. Did you happen to see if the had size 4 and with lots of colours? I will road trip if so.

Thanks
King Joe Outa Here!
Check Canadian Tire out first @King Joe near you,(Grimsby area),to see if they have the Apex Hot Shot lure’s there,for I wasn’t planning on selling my only 2 that I have in the first place,for I was just showing you on what I had & good luck in finding more. Be Safe & Salmon ON!! ????:cool:

Crap, seriously? I would have stopped in on my way back from Grimsby. Did you happen to see if the had size 4 and with lots of colours? I will road trip if so.

Thanks
King Joe Outa Here!
Lots of colours and I think at least 3 different sizes and around 7 or 8 bucks each if I get thete again soon I well take a picture and send it to you

Check Canadian Tire out first @King Joe near you,(Grimsby area),to see if they have the Apex Hot Shot lure’s there,for I wasn’t planning on selling my only 2 that I have in the first place,for I was just showing you on what I had & good luck in finding more. Be Safe & Salmon ON!! ????:cool:
Ok, Grimsby....and Brantford aren't really near me. Its 2 hours to Grimsby for me...and just over an hour to Brantford. I live in Strathroy. I will check out Can Tire though next time down that way. OR, order online if I can find some place.

Thanks

King Joe Outa Here!

Well written report. thanks.
do you mind tell me where did you launch your yak, is there a fee ? I also working on yak trolling.

Nice Going Joe. Surprise they are in so shallow. Maybe the Alewife are in spawning now. Good luck next time. Don't touch the drag when they run.

How did you do yesterday Newfie36? Going Sunday, Grimsby or Burlington. Friend catch 4 out of Burlington yesterday. One was 27 lbs in 120 fow.
Where did they launch at Burlington? Bronte?

Hey Jsyangyu,

I run a Jackson Cuda 14. Paddle only, no pedal or motor (which is cheating...hah). I have a rudder and fish finder and light/pole flag. I have aftermarket rod holders that I installed in front of me that put the rod handles higher for paddling room, but can be articulated to level the rods to either side so the tips are not pointing 8 feet in the air. I also have cannon rod holders behind me to either side but use those for storage only. No riggers but do use different ways of getting depth for lures.

As a paddle yak'r, drag is always an issue. While I do and can run dipseys (size 0), they have the most drag. I can run dipseys for about 1km at about 3mph then need to pull up and put my lungs back in my chest.

For that, for depths to 40', I run jet divers...or banana weights if 10-20'. For deeper, I run torpedo divers which, I think are awesome, have virtually no drag...BUT the weight hangs on the line. You don't feel it fighting a fish, but you have to deal with it when you reel up.

King Joe Outa Here!

Back