wolf or Coyote

jph

HUNT0169.JPG HUNT0169.JPG do you guy think this is a wolf or a coyote

Attachments

• HUNT0170.JPG
    HUNT0170.JPG
    700.8 KB · Views: 218
My guess is a yote. Had one within 75yds of me during turkey season and it was a really light color also

For sure a big coyote, where there's one.....
Load up the 22-250 and grab some buddies and push the bush!
Every trail cam I had up this past year, showed coyotes
Wish now I saved the one pic I had, showed 6 plus one that was black ( not sure if it was a dog mixed in, or a coyote)
Let's just say, there is 100% 4 less in the bush after we all pushed the bush!
Good shooting goes out to red & skinny on that day for sure
Put out some chicken leftovers in front and see how many show up now!

Where is it? With the ice we had last winter there is a possibility that that wolves made it inland off the point.

Long Point. Apparently back in the day thee old timers used to shoot wolves as they ran across the ice from long point to the mainland. If there is an isolated population of timber wolves left in south western ontario the end of the the point is a likely spot.

100% coyote. You can tell by the longer ears, snout and overall appearance.

Not to offend anyone, but the people who claim there is a population of wolves in Southwestern Ontario are often the same people who believe in ghosts, aliens, and bigfoot and have never seen a wolf in person. Many people claim to have seen wolves around these parts, but the "huge wolf" always turns out to be an average yote or larger coydog mix. Sure, there may be the odd one that gets lost and wanders south every so often, but sightings are very rare even 3 hours north of the point in the Orillia area.

T he coyotes are surely getting bigger they are mixing with wolves or dog i did a shoulder mount for a guy and it was
a hybrid it was 90 lbs looks just a wolf

Attachments

• 030.JPG
    030.JPG
    295.7 KB · Views: 64
T he coyotes are surely getting bigger they are mixing with wolves or dog i did a shoulder mount for a guy and it was
a hybrid it was 90 lbs looks just a wolf
That's a nice looking yote!! Or coywolf...coydog lol:D Saw a real big one last winter up near Lucan had to be close to 60lbs, heard stories of timber wolves up there too from farmers....but not sure if they were just large yotes!

To mount this yote i had to alter a timber wolf form as the coyote form was to small but had to take the wolf form
down quite a bit as well after altering the form it was still much larger than a average yote

the trail cam picture was definately a coyote......I have a full size female blond coyote mount on my living room wall (can be seen in Dave broadhagens broshure / website) that i look at everyday. trust me when you see a real timber wolf.....you won't quetion if its a coyote...you will know its a wolf...massive...even the small 65 lb female i saw during spring bear hunt (foleyet) looked way bigger than any coyote ive ever seen or shot
+
+

My view, coyote. My outside dog is a Wolf/Shepard mix, and show's mainly the wolf tendicies. He has longer than normal hind legs, looks out of proportion to his body, less point to the ears, and longer snout. And larger, 100lbs or so. If you can pick up a track, wolf's feet are huge compared to their body size

there are wolves in southern ontario, few in number but there are some. I am in university and one of my professors is an advisor for the MNR and works alongside them to protect and manage vulnerable ecosystems and land areas in southern ontario and I got talking to him and told him i was a hunter and he said that the MNR is monitoring two small packs of wolves in S. Ontario, one being outside of Cambridge in a swampy, isolated area

@ch312

Found him on kijji 5 or 6 yrs ago, he was about 4 months old at the time. A young couple living in a one bedroom high-rise decided it was a little more dog than they expected, (you think??). Not sure were they got him.
There is alot of info on the net about this breed, be sure to read up on them, there not for everyone. That said, I have always owned Shepard's, but never had any dog as smart as this one, with very little training he follow's a large variety of commands instantly, verbal and hand sign's. Amazes people how with a point of hand, he can jump into the back of a full sized 4x4 P/U from a sit, and clear the box easily, can run 35km beside the quad for miles and barely break a pant.
Used him once after a bad shot on a small buck on the last evening of a season, ended with a lost deer. Took him out the following Sunday, (no Sunday hunt here), to the shooting area, no real blood trail to speak of, and watched him work threw about a mile of hardwoods full of deer trails and tracks, to a pine thicket that he just wouldn't leave, so thick you had to get down on your belly to look into, and there was my deer. If I hadn't seen it, it would be hard to believe.
He can only stay in the house for short stay's, he can't take the heat. He has a couple of houses outdoors, but usually just sleeps on the ground outside the bedroom window. We had him neutered young, at the first sign's of aggression. He's very protective of the wife, he and I had to have a couple of "special" training sessions to learn that I was allowed to touch her. Except for a couple of buddies that visit regularly, with biscuits, day or night he let's you know when someone is here, and that maybe they should stay in their vehicle. He guards our turf well, and that is his job here, we were broken into yrs ago. I keep a small flock of free range turkeys, he understands there mine, but keeps them at a strict distance from the house, kind of rough with them, but never hurt one.
He is defently a pack animal, and occasionally needs reminding I am top dog. Loves to wrestle, guess he's about 120lbs, very tall and lanky, and could probably take down a bull, but I fight dirty?
Some other traits, hates being clean, except for dog biscuits,won't eat in-front of people, bury's meat and bones before eating a few day's/weeks later. Needs a good amount of meat in his diet, hates coyotes, raccoon's, but won't touch a skunk, and has never been sprayed. We have a large pond,and he will swim, year around, longer than you can throw a stick. Has two separate coats of hair, and shed's terribly for about a month mid summer.
I would defently not recommend if you have children, limited space or close neighbors. All in all, he's turned into a pretty good hound

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks