Winter dispey thoughts

lazywave

Been running Dispeys my whole life and love them for walleye. This past summer I met a fellow fisherman who runs wire line on his dispey rods and swears by it. Wonder if anyone else does this and pros/cons of wire line before I consider making the switch. Thanks in advance

I've been running wire dipseys for the last 18 years... Can't remember the last time I used braid... ZERO stretch... Can feel every twitch of the fish... Easier if there is seafleas for cleanup... They say it attracts fish... 9/10 it catches my biggest fish of the day...

Thanks for the reply jammer! How bad is it if it happens to tangle or something like that

I agree with Jammer. I too have been running wire for, well, a long time. I generally have two braid and two wire divers in the water. I would agree that the largest fish seem to come off the wire divers. I like the torpedo brand braided wire. Works well for me. If it kinks, it’s strength is compromised , but if treated properly kinks or tangles are not common. Make sure the rod you plan on using will handle the wire line. I use twiley tips. Others use roller ends. That’s a matter of preference I think. Guides need to be able to handle the abrasive nature of the wire. A pissed off 20 lb King with a hook in its face tends to put some pressure on a pole and a little stress on eyelets.

I have a spot on my 17' Crestliner where I can lay my 10.5' wire rods down without taking them apart... This adds to the longevity of the wire forsure… A lot of guys use a section of pool noodle if they take there rods apart so the fold isn't drastic... Keep the wire tight and you shouldn't have any kink problems... (First couple seasons with wire I would attach it to something and walk the whole 1000' spool out and reel it back on under pressure... This also helps...) Wire wins in any tangle contest... lol... I prefer the twilly tip as well... The brand I use isn't made anymore but all the 7 strand are decent... Mason, American etc...

I have 2 wire set ups, one diawa heartland with a twilly tip and one full roller. I don’t really find a difference between the 2, but the rollers sound cool when a big fish is screaming out line. I never take the rods apart, I lay them in the boat. The only thing that happens is the wire curls at the end so I cut of a foot and re-tie. When the water fleas show up you just crank down the drag and the wire will cut right through them.
And I agree with jammer, the biggest fish usually come off the wire.
The reels I use are penn 320gt2lc, I don’t remember how much backing is on them but they have 1000 ft of wire on them.

I'll go against the grain here. I love wire dipseys for salmon and I run 2 every time I'm on Lake Ontario. There is something about cranking up a 4lb walleye on a wire line rig that just turns me off. I only run braid dipseys on Lake Erie. The depths I'm mainly targeting and the fish I'm after don't really lend themselves to wire line. I run a lot of jets and smaller dipseys off of 300 size tekotas on 30lb braid, with lighter rods when walleye fishing. It just makes it more enjoyable for me. If all I had was wire, I'd run it but having both I leave the wire divers at home when driving to Erie.

I'll go against the grain here. I love wire dipseys for salmon and I run 2 every time I'm on Lake Ontario. There is something about cranking up a 4lb walleye on a wire line rig that just turns me off. I only run braid dipseys on Lake Erie. The depths I'm mainly targeting and the fish I'm after don't really lend themselves to wire line. I run a lot of jets and smaller dipseys off of 300 size tekotas on 30lb braid, with lighter rods when walleye fishing. It just makes it more enjoyable for me. If all I had was wire, I'd run it but having both I leave the wire divers at home when driving to Erie.

My suggestion would be lighter wire rods... lol... All my rods are light(ish)… My rods get double duty on Erie and Ontario... I'm not a fan of braid dipseys mostly because of the flea factor... They say the wire emits positive ions into the water and attracts fish... Another benefit to my wire rods... Without speed/temp probe... It keeps me at a perfect speed on there bend...

Back